Has anyone dined at these restaurants in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2013, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The following were recommendations for restaurants in close proximity to my hotel:

Le Temps Perdu
Allard
Les Bookinistes
La Rotisserie d'en Face
Jacques Cagna

If you have dined at one of these and had a good experience, please let me know.

I have made notes of recommendations all over Paris as I have read posts and I know there is a heck of a thread going of people sharing their favorite restaurants. I will definitely read that, but I know our first evening in Paris we will want to dine close by our hotel.
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 06:25 AM

I haven't for most, but I think the Rotisserie d'en Face is pretty much a tourist restaurant for the most part, a lot of hotels send tourists there as a safe bet and it's close to the ones that stay in St Germain. Depends what you want, but don't think it's anything special. I think it was better at one time but has gone downhill. It's probably perfectly adequate at a reasonable level, though, if you don't expect too much.

I think I did eat at Allard some years ago, it was fine for me, but I am not a foodie, and don't usually dine in name places (meaning places you'll find recommended a lot or in guidebooks) or trendy ones, so my standards my not be as high was what you might want for your special plans, I admit.
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 06:27 AM

Does Les Bookinistes even still exist? Can't find anything recent about it online at all (mostly pages from 2002/2003 coming up). Perhaps Les Bouquinistes instead?!
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 07:12 AM

The worst meal we ever had was at Rotisserie d'en Face. And yes, as noted, it's geared to tourist who need to dine early.

Guy Savoy (of Les Bookinistes), opened the 3-star Restaurant Guy Savoy, 18 rue Troyon in the 17th, and has another restaurant in Las Vegas.
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 07:19 AM

Allard is a classic Bistro in the 6th, but may no longer be worth the experience. Read the review by Patrica Wells.
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 07:19 AM

foolforfrance;

I think Ze Kitchen Galerie might be close enough for you on that first night. You might want to check it out. I liked it:

http://www.zekitchengalerie.fr/

As for La Rotisserie d'en Face, I enjoyed the signature chicken dish, but that was seven years ago. You might to look at Trip Advisor for the latrst reviews on it.
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 08:18 AM

Give Le Souffle a try. It's on rue du Mont Thabor, over by the Tuilleries. Reservations are essential [also for lunch]. Start with the escargots, the scallops or a tomato and basil or other souffle. Then the duck with peaches, which is is fabulous. Finish with a Peach and Apricot or Grand Marnier souffle, each served with a bottle of the licquer. Their rolls are the best. After dinner, if the weather is nice, walk up to Opera through Place Vendome. Have a coffee or hot chocolate outside the Cafe de la Paix--a great spot with the Opera Garnier so beautifully lit.

Another favorite of ours is Bistro Melrose on the Place de Clichy, a few steps from the Metro.

And it'd hard to beat the lively atmosphere at Le Vaudeville, right at the Bourse Metro. Lots of activity and conversation, people having a good time, waiters scurrying around. We make an 8PM reservation. By 8:30 it's usually packed.

A few years ago I was trying to make a reservation for a Sunday in August, and every one I sent to the hotel to call was either closed that night or on vacation. So one Sunday I started calling places randomly. When the phone was answered at Le Suffren, I could here the noise in the background. We'e been going ever since. It's a block away from the Champ de Mars, and after dinner we walk over to see the twinkling lights at 10 PM.
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 10:48 AM

We'v dined at Les Bouquinistes (several times), Allard, and Rotisserie D'en Face. We loved Les B., liked Allard very much and didn't think much of Rotisserie. I highly recommend Ze Kitchen Gallerie next door to Les Bouquinisstes.
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all! I should have put our hotel location in my first post, sorry. It is located on 58 rue Jacob and I think the corner of Rue de St. Peres. It is the Hotel du Danube Saint Germain.
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 01:28 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We had a celebratory dinner at Les Bouquinistes with our family and enjoyed the food and experience.
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 02:28 PM

I thought Jacques Cagna had closed?

I have 2 trips reports centered around food if you click on my screen name.

What day of the week do you arrive? That might make a difference as to what's open.
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 04:31 PM

We dined at the Rotisserie d'en Face and weren't impressed with the food. Most of the tables were taken up by tourists, in some cases with very badly behaved children.
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 04:48 PM

We like Fish La Boissonerie on Rue de Seine not far from your hotel.
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Uma

We dined at both Allard(loved their coq au vin), and
Les Bouquinistes(enjoyed our dinner and the service) in 2009.
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 05:58 PM

I believe that Le Temps Perdu closed about two years ago.
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 06:05 PM

Fish has been a favorite since it first opened and always interesting when you can share a few glasses of (Southwest) wine with Juan Sanchez.
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 08:52 PM

I've dined at Allard a few times and have always had good meals there. There beet and mache salad is delicious.
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to all for replying.

Patty-we arrive on a Monday and will dine out each evening through Saturday. Some of the meals can be a ways away, but Monday and Saturday I would like to be near the hotel. Last trip we dined for a lunch and dinner at Les Cocottes near the Eiffel Tower. Loved it!

I will cross Rotisserie d'en Face off the list.

Uma-We love coq au vin and I think this is a great option for Monday night if they are open.

RonZ-Your Les Souffles rec is def going on the list! I will get a reservation for lunch or dinner asap.

I best get a reservation close by for our last night in Paris. Fish La Boissonerie or Les Bouquinistes or Z Kitchen Gallerie sound like great options.
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 01:49 PM

I knew I had remembered a recent review of Rotisserie d'en Face, it was in this blog by an expat who writes about restaurants in Paris a lot (also he has written for Gourmet, BOn Appetit, etc.). I like his writing style and how he describes things.

http://alexanderlobrano.com/blog/201...serie-den.html

So I think that's a pretty good idea of what Rotisserie d'en Face is like now, with photos and food descriptions.
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Christina. That seals the deal for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -