Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Mallorca/Majorca in July- Can we enjoy island and avoid party scene?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2019, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,
My husband and I are considering options for a relaxing & romantic getaway for July. Mallorca looks absolutely gorgeous with hills, beautiful beaches, etc...we were about to book thinking we could avoid the party scene that it's renowned for and stay in these other areas. However, we just saw a video of Magaluf (nicknamed Shagaluf for all of the hookups) that was absolutely horrendous to us in everyway. While I know we can avoid this particular area, can we enjoy the beauty of the island without experiencing this kind of scene or similar? Or are we better choosing another island altogether at this time of year? Has anyone been in July recently that can comment?

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 31st, 2019, 10:26 AM

You are going to have to look very, very hard to find the party scene in Mallorca. There’s about 5 miles of coast which includes Magaluf to avoid and adjacent Palma Nova is a bit down market.

The rest of the island consists of some of the best beaches in Europe, well designed family resorts like Alcudua, Puerta Pollensa, Porto Cristo, Porto Colom and Cala D’Or. There are Spanish resorts like Colonia San Jordi and Arenal then there’s resorts like Portal Nous, Port Andratx and the inland towns of Deia/Valledemossa where billionaires struggle to keep up.

I started going to Mallorca when I was 3 months old and 50 years on it has grown into a mature, sophisticated island where the local population have developed and food/art/music cultural scene which has been funded by the huge amounts of capital years of tourism has brought in. I’ve lost count of the number of Easjet flights I have taken to Palma but in the early days, return flights were £20 and we went every month.

It it is a great place to spend time and offers areas of quiet sleepy villages with high end country house hotels. It is in effect Europe in miniature.

Even in July and August, the island never feels that busy and it isn’t difficult to find beautiful wild nature.

What’s your budget ?

Hotel or house rental ?

Country or beach ?
Old Mar 31st, 2019, 10:37 AM

Ps if you want an island with even more stunning scenery but less tourism look at Sardinia.

It has the best coastal scenery/ beaches in Europe.

Old Apr 1st, 2019, 12:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Like BC, we've been to Mallorca many, many times over the years and once drove through Palma Nova and Magaluf. The rest of the time we've enjoyed lovely beaches, small villages and small towns dotted over the island offering lovely food and accommodation. Our favourite is Pollenca, a small town in the north of the island with great restaurants and a real Spanish feel to it..

Plenty of good hotels, apartments and villas to be had but you are leaving it late for July. Your choices will be limited by now.
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 02:48 AM

Hello, as a resident of Mallorca i can tell you that here you'll find the vacations you want.
Just avoiding Magaluf and The Arenal, that are the "party" places.
The rest of the island is designed for families vacation, so you will not have a problem.
Yes its true that in July and August are the busiest month of the year. For local it can be a little too much, but for vacation its perfect.
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by Rubicund
Like BC, we've been to Mallorca many, many times over the years and once drove through Palma Nova and Magaluf. The rest of the time we've enjoyed lovely beaches, small villages and small towns dotted over the island offering lovely food and accommodation. Our favourite is Pollenca, a small town in the north of the island with great restaurants and a real Spanish feel to it..

Plenty of good hotels, apartments and villas to be had but you are leaving it late for July. Your choices will be limited by now.
Another vote for Pollensa. Lively enough and quiet enough at the same time. Definitely not a place for partiers. Lots of nice houses on/near the beach for rent.

Generally, resort towns have quite targeted marketing so you can't say that all of Mallorca (or Menorca or Ibiza or Lanzarote, etc) are party places even if they have that reputation based on a few bad areas full of drunk young Brits, English Breakfast places, Irish pubs, etc. Partiers simply do not bother with family resorts as they are generally pricier (even the cheaper ones), lack the targeted deals (e.g. drink deals, etc) and most importantly, they would be bored with no/few other young people on the prowl.

I think that couples looking for a more "sophisticated" experience will need to look harder, however. I think it's fair to say that most places are either very family oriented or party oriented. Not to say that you don't find any couples but if you will be put off by too many families, then you need to look carefully for your destination and hotel. The vast majority of hotels follow a very similar formula - pool with families, all inclusive or half board, organised activities aimed at kids or whole families.
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much BritishCaicos for your quick reply and to all others after reconfirming, we continued on to book our trip after reading your responses and researching more on the other areas of the island. We're now very excited and only have to settle on which of the amazing places to stay. So many great options!! (Rubicund luckily it looks like there still are many still available). Pollenca looks so lovely and I have added it to my list. Please let me know of any other recommendations -restaurants? Any great beach recommendations that might be quieter (and possibly less kids) than others?

British Caicos, we spent a few nights in Sardinia a couple of years ago on our way to Corsica (which we LOVED). Sardinia is just as you describe and I want to go back. We spent time mostly north but I want to head south next time...where's your favorite place there?
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

And walkinaround, good point about the families. Always hard to find a romantic, non-family oriented place in the summer...We're trying to take an adult break from the family the only time we can and it's not easy.
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 07:54 AM

We visit Mallorca typically twice a year, usually the May and October half terms although last year we spent Christmas and New Year there. We absolutely love the island, been many, many times and have never been to Magaluf, never want to go to Magaluf and never had to experience any of the negativity associated with it. It's a tiny part of a big island and those that visit there, stay there.

Here's a good website listing most of the beaches in Mallorca.

https://www.mallorca-beaches.com/en/
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by JES28
Thank you so much BritishCaicos for your quick reply and to all others after reconfirming, we continued on to book our trip after reading your responses and researching more on the other areas of the island. We're now very excited and only have to settle on which of the amazing places to stay. So many great options!! (Rubicund luckily it looks like there still are many still available). Pollenca looks so lovely and I have added it to my list. Please let me know of any other recommendations -restaurants? Any great beach recommendations that might be quieter (and possibly less kids) than others?

British Caicos, we spent a few nights in Sardinia a couple of years ago on our way to Corsica (which we LOVED). Sardinia is just as you describe and I want to go back. We spent time mostly north but I want to head south next time...where's your favorite place there?
The main beach at Port de Pollensa is nice. I remember it lined with trees. Beyond that, I can't remember the names but there were a couple of deserted beaches that we walked to. I also can't remember how far but maybe about an hour walk through beautiful mountain terrain (but not UP mountains - pretty flat). Our favourite had nobody else there for one visit and in another visit, one couple arrived during our visit. Nobody else. This one was in a valley and incredibly beautiful. I believe it is on the north (other) side of the peninsula.
The walk can be very hot and it's mainly in full sun so prepare accordingly (hat, fluids, etc).

Old Apr 1st, 2019, 01:22 PM

https://www.theothermallorca.com/

we have used this agency three times, they are lovely people and their rates are generally less than with the hotels directly.

Secluded beaches can be hard work in high summer.

look at google earth, there are many, many isolated coves down dusty tracks but many of these are mobbed by locals avoiding the resorts.

There Re is one amazing walk in the bottom south of the island, Park in Colonia San Jordi, where are are many great fish restaurangs on the side of the harbour. Turn right, past the large hotels and you can walk for miles on Es Trenc. On a calm day, this is one of the best beaches in Europe.

Trun left down down the coast and it gets interesting. You will find deserted beaches as the whole, huge section of the island is a huge estate owned by the Son March banking family. One of the richest families in Spain. They don’t own the beaches, so you can walk to the bottom of the island finding better and better beaches.

Another option is Cala Mandrago which is near Cala D’or, it’s an undeveloped nature reserve which can get busy at the weekends. Nearby Porto Petro is a pretty little fishing village with fish restaurants.

Another quite option for beaches is the huge sweep of Alcudia bay. It has good restaurants in Port Alcudia at the NW end, the beach runs for miles down to C’an Picafort. Initially, it’s full of all inclusive family hotels but there is a large section between these hotels and C’an Picafort which are undeveloped dunes. Lovely beach and you will find a quiet spot.

Sardinia : we love the NE corner, especially La Maddalena. Had some special memories here.

In the south, Spartivento has stunning cliffs and the beach at Chia is beautiful. There is a magical area on the SW coast which includes Sant Antioco, the multi cultural ruins of Tharros, the deserted silver mining towns of Ingurtosu and the huge dunes at Piscinas.

Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 01:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As far as Pollenca is concerned, the best restaurant in town IMO is the Clivia, 100 yards from the Plaza Major on the main street, you'll need to book. In the Plaza Major itself there are two restaurants at the opposite end from the church, the better one is Il Giardino. Having said that, there are several restaurants around the square and if you walk up the right hand side of the church you'll come to the cockerel fountain. Go up to the half right and you'll find a couple more good places.
Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 02:19 AM

Go to Cala Varques, once you park your car you have to walk max 30 min but totally worth it!! best beach in the area and as you have to walk there are not families that goes there
Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 02:30 AM

Maria

That’s a great idea.

Any idea who owns the villa just south of the beach on the headland. It is HUGE and very isolated.

i thought Rafa Nadal had a house nearby?

Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 03:28 AM

Mmm to be honest i have no idea who's house is it.
Rafa Nadal live in the area of Manacor, its common to see him in the area. But for that house i have no idea.

Also a recommendation for a restaurant Ca N´Antuna in Fornalutx!
Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Amazing, thank you for the great recommendations!!! So excited to explore all of these!
Old Apr 9th, 2019, 12:16 PM

Easily. The island is quite big, and partygoers actually concetrate in few resorts. Mallorca is famous for its clubs, dancing and drinking which doesn't mean there is party going on everywhere.