Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Mallorca for 7 days in late Sept (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/mallorca-for-7-days-in-late-sept-1005918/)

travelinallie Feb 15th, 2014 06:16 PM

Mallorca for 7 days in late Sept

I am in the beginning stages of researching Mallorca for a 10th Anniversary trip from Boston. Ideally we will spend 1 week and I am hoping to find a seaside town, with the ability to to walk to restaurants/beach area with easy access to the other sites by car. I never realized how large the island was and can't decide which coast etc to stay in. Hotel recommendations are also welcome. Thank you!

theshedman Feb 15th, 2014 11:19 PM

Hi, I see that this is also posted on another well known site where you will probably get more replies as it only deals with Mallorca on that part of the site. You will need to give a bit of info on your likes and dislikes to give good advice as the Island is so varied. Not been in late September myself as usually go May or June. Most seaside towns have what you are after so it will be a case of narrowing it down. It is a lovely Island to visit and there are many things to see and do. In September the crowds should have gone and it will be easier to get around without having to queue for stuff. Port De Soller is a lovely place and the old train ride either to or from Palma is a nice way to spend a couple of hours, see link for that. Many people do the train one way and the bus the other.

http://www.trendesoller.com/en/cms.p...ble_and_Prices

Rubicund Feb 16th, 2014 03:28 AM

As mentioned above, most of the towns on the sea will offer what you're looking for. The island is not that big and you can easily drive across or up/down in an hour or so. As this is a tenth anniversary trip, is it a romantic getaway for two, or do you have children who'll be with you?

If you give us idea of your budget for accommodation, we can recommend where to stay, but Mallorca differs vastly from resort to resort who all offer beaches and restaurants. Some are young, busy resorts, like Palma Nova (lots of drinking and late nights) or more family based like Andratx in the east or Puerto Pollenca in the north.

travelinallie Feb 16th, 2014 06:21 PM

I should have included more detail. What attracts us to Mallorca is the variety. I can see us hiking for a day, lounging lazily at a resort. Exploring caves for a day or maybe two and of course visiting some castles/ruins. We love sea food, a good beach bar and likely not going to stay up past midnight or 1 AM so clubbing not important and we are not bringing children on this trip so family resorts are not necessary. Deia/Soller/and Palma look intriguing but I do like a laid back feel. I'm open at this point as far as budget. Thank you!

theshedman Feb 16th, 2014 11:51 PM

Of the 3 you mentioned non have a beach but Port De Soller which is a few miles from Soller does but it's not one of the best on the Island. It is a lovely place to visit though and offers the hiking you ask for. At this time of year a place like Santa Ponsa or Palma Nova is good to visit, they have good beaches and are easy for getting to other parts of the Island either by bus or car. The north of the Island has some good beaches but is more family orientated than the south. Take a look at the link below there are many things on there that may help you decide on an area to stay.

http://www.seemallorca.com/mallorca/maps.html

Rubicund Feb 17th, 2014 12:59 AM

I'd recommend Puerto Pollenca. It's got a long sandy beach, with bars and watersports along it. The town itself has some nice restaurants and has a safe, laid back feel. The town of Pollenca itself has IMO the best restaurant on the island, the Clivia and is a nice place to sit in the main square watching the world and sipping something sippable.

You can travel across to either coast and Palma is about 40 minutes away.

littlejane Feb 17th, 2014 04:36 AM

We stayed in Deia for a few days and Puerto Pollenca for a few days and thought that was a lovely combination. Visited port de soller from Deia for the beach, and thought Puerto Pollenca was much nicer, if you are looking for a beach venue. From Deia we also visited Chopin's monastery in Valdemossa, and Palma. From Puerto Pollenca we visited the towns of Pollenca and Alcudia, and had lovely meals in both. If I had to choose just one place it would probably be Deia, but the best swimming there is in a little rocky cove, with magic fish restaurants, there is no beach nearby. I thought the 2-centre stop we did was great, but we had more than 7 nights.

We got a lovely 2-bedroom apartment in Deia through Owners Direct, if you would be interested just let me know and I will dig out the link. The place we stayed in Puerto Pollenca was not great, too far out from the centre, so wouldn't recommend that.

travelinallie Feb 17th, 2014 04:20 PM

Thanks rubicund, the shedman and little Jane! I will take a week to research what you mentioned and maybe reach out individually. This is so helpful for me to break it down a bit! All the Best!