Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Mallorca (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/mallorca-306659/)

tensbums Apr 13th, 2003 10:20 AM

Mallorca

We are going to Mallorca for the first time. Can anyone give us some tips about where to go, where to eat, close visits, beaches, etc. thanks

red63corvette Apr 13th, 2003 07:47 PM

Tensbums,<BR><BR>I've not been but a good friend of mine vacationed there. If you'd like me to get the info from him (he's not part of Fodors) just send me an email with your specific interests. ;o)<BR><BR>~ Sheryl<BR>aka [email protected]

Franto Apr 13th, 2003 09:41 PM

I have been to Mallorca twice and really enjoyed it. I never went in the high season but the shoulder seasons.<BR>Visit: The Cathedral, the old fortress overlooking the bay and the beaches on the north side. I did not go there, my wife did.<BR>Restaurants: I enjoyed a place named Ciro's Pizzeria in Magaluf. The name does not do justice to the place but it is nice in the evenings for a dinner for two with very reasonable prices and a wonderful staff. <BR>Have a good time.

elina Apr 14th, 2003 03:39 AM

Palma is a very nice town with a massive cathedral. Take the old train and visit Soller. Rent a car (preferably small, roads are narrow and winding) and drive western Mallorca´s mountainous area. Visit Fortnaluz, Deia, and Lluc Monastery. <BR><BR>In the eastern part Cuevas del Drac, and the other caves (I have forgotten the name) are really impressive.

elina Apr 14th, 2003 03:45 AM

An interesting place is also Sa Granja, privately owned Maurish palace turned into kind of a museum. It is near Puigpunyent. There is a good restaurant, work shows, traditional music, huge gardens, animals, shops that sell local natural products and so on. And a very vile and evil place: a torture chamber with stuff from inquisition era.

davidx Apr 14th, 2003 05:00 AM

I hate packed tourist coasts so the SW of the island doesn't have any appeal. On the other hand S�ller is sufficiently unspoile still and I loved the scenic splendour of the NW coast. If you want to e-mail me I will send you some notes.<BR>[email protected]

Xenos Apr 14th, 2003 05:23 AM

We've been thinking about going to Palma for my birthday in October. Problem is we'll only have 2 nights maximum. Is this long enough to do it justice, or would we be better saving it for when we have more time? The alternative would probably be to have a weekend in a nice country house hotel in the Lake District or North Wales.

nikkit Apr 14th, 2003 01:26 PM

2 nights would be fine in Palma. You might want to check out my guide to Palma on <BR>www.i-escape.com/spainmallorca.php<BR>where I have highlighted my favourite restaurants, bars, small hotels, sights etc.

Xenos Apr 14th, 2003 11:34 PM

Thanks for that link Nikkit - an excellent resource - I've bookmarked it for future reference.