Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

MALAGA, Which is the best hotel to stay at.

Jun 24th, 2001, 11:05 AM
Muriel

I have to spend three days in Malaga in September. Can anyone recommend a good hotel? Thanks
Muriel

Jun 25th, 2001, 11:04 AM
Pedro

Both the Parador of Gibralfaro and NH Malaga might suit you well.

Jun 25th, 2001, 11:21 AM
Muriel

Hi Pedro.
Thanks again for helping out!. How safe are Mallaga, and Marbella? We are a retired couple, and try to take safety precautions. I don't carry a handbag, and my husband's wallet is an old one with minimal cash in it.Nonetheless, the idea of my husband being jostled and knocked down whilst thieves search for his wallet (as I've read of happening in Barcelona and Madrid)concerns me. Can you help? (Or anyone else with experience of these cities!)

Thanks
Muriel

Jun 25th, 2001, 12:01 PM
Judi

Muriel, do you have to stay in Malaga? Perhaps you would feel more comfortable in Nerja. We feel quite safe there and the town has many good restaurants and is in a beautiful setting.

Jun 25th, 2001, 02:43 PM
Pedro

I would second Judi regarding Nerja or even Marbella as a place to stay better than Malaga. They are close enough to the capital if you need some big-city-facility. Both Nerja and Marbella are a bit safer than Malaga city. Nerja is a nice white village with better beaches and local ambient than Marbella, being this much more upscaled ( golfs, clubs, luxury ).

Jun 27th, 2001, 06:38 AM
bobbie

My daughter, 23, and I are thinking about going to Spain in October and want to go to Madrid for a few days and then head down to the coast. If we fly to Malaga, how can we get to Nerja, other than renting a car or will we really want one? I've never driven in Europe but will if I have to....

Jun 27th, 2001, 07:00 AM
Monica

I agree with Judi. Malaga seemed a little unsafe at nights where as Nerja is smaller and more residential. Nerja is less touristy and more relaxing. Bobbie...rent a car...the roads are so easy to drive and the scenery is amazing. I was very nervous about driving and now that we have I wouldn't do it any other way. To rely on the bus schedule just really is a waste of time. The best part is that you can drive through Malaga and the other coastal cities and decide which place you would like to stop at and leave when you get tired or bored.

Jun 27th, 2001, 07:15 AM
bobbie

Monica, boy you answer fast! I saw that you rented a car thru Avis back home and assume that there were no problems, was it standard shift? it's been a while since I've driven standard but I guess it's like riding a bike, once you figure out where reverse is...I thought we'd spend three days in Madrid and then fly to Malaga and spend 4-5 days "driving" around and then head back to madrid. do you think we must make reservations, other than Madrid, or can be wing it? I've never done that and probably too obsessive to enjoy that laid back felling....but maybe it's time...

Jun 28th, 2001, 11:59 AM
Myer

Now I'm getting convinced not to stay in Malaga as a jump off point. My plane is leaving from there. How long a drive is it from Nerja to Malaga?

Jun 28th, 2001, 12:21 PM
Ursula

Myer: A good thing to drop Malaga. We used to go for years to Marbella and Malaga was only good because of the airport. If you want to check weather, maps and other infos about Costa del Sol, check out:
www.marbella.com

Jun 28th, 2001, 01:11 PM
Judi

Myer, good decision! The drive depends on the time of day; they have rush hour, too! The drive is usually less than an hour. The Autovia is great and now goes all the way to Nerja, I think. (When I was there in May it was scheduled to open in a few weeks.) Happy travels!

Jun 29th, 2001, 02:46 AM
Myer

Now I'm thinking of arriving in Malaga, visiting some of the towns (Granada, Ronda?, Nerja?, etc) then to Seville for a few days (side to Cordoba?) and train to Madrid for 3-4 Days and return to U.S. from there.
I would prefer no car if possible. If not possible (or practical) the next preference would be to sleep in as few places as possible and take day trips. That may not be possible if we try to go to Granada for the Alhambra.
I imagine most other places only require a half day of walking around and then move on.
Any further ideas on how to do this. By the way, we only drive automatic. I understand that is not a problem other than being more expensive.

Jun 29th, 2001, 02:06 PM
Myer

Which now raises another question. On which side of the street do they drive in Spain? Left as in London or right as in most other places.

Jul 2nd, 2001, 01:22 PM
Monica

Bobbie...i guess I wasn't that quick this time. We rented Avis in Granada and dropped it off in Seville and had no problems...Nerja is about 35 to 45 Min. away from Malaga. Most of the highway "autovia" was open and it was a breeze. Our car was a stick shift but we understand if you pay more you can get an automatic.