Malaga-Seville-Cordoba-Granada

Old Jan 7th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Malaga-Seville-Cordoba-Granada

I need help with specifics: we arrive Sat. 14th in Malaga; where do I rent a car? Where do I go first? How do we work Ronda? I would adore specifics re. routes, roads, hotels, time! That would help me so much! I'm working until the last second and feel overwhelmed! Also, when do we take in the pueblos blancos? Thank you so much!
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 02:41 AM

with so little info, how could anyone begin to suggest where you start, how long you spend in each place, etc?

14th of what month?

you can go to www.mappy.com to help map out routes..

and come back with more specific inquiries that people will be more than happy to revise and comment on.

daily hotel budget?
www.gtahotels.com
www.bancotel.com
www.paradors.com

maybe there are other reports here with all these itineraries already.

do a search and see what you come up with.

Old Jan 8th, 2006, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! I'm new at this! I arrive Sat Jan 14th and will travel with my 21 yr. old daughter. I am tired from major art exhibition in NYC and want a joyous and "relaxed" adventure. We have until the 23rd together, and end up back at Malaga airport. I will stay on 5 more days.
We would like inexpensive hostals or guest houses. We do want to see Moorish architecture and a few museums; I do not know if driving is easy there or difficult? If the speed limit is too fast for me or the road signs too difficult. So I'm fearful about doing this alone (which is embarrassing at my age and experience!). I work on illuminated manuscripts and have published books, just had a major show that comes down Friday Jan. 13. So I have little time to plan and am easily overwhelmed doing this now. My daughter and I want to see the Alhambra, I am inspired by all I see when I travel and it comes out in my work! Re. car: $$ is an issue, as with hotel. but if it is the difference between ease and pleasure, then I would rather pay "a little" more. So this is a low-end trip but not a student type trip -- a loving Mother-daughter trip I need assistance with. My daughter is doing her Junior year in the Netherlands and this is our time together. So I appreciate your help tremendously! Thank you!
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 05:56 AM

eefrank--- understand your situation, and believe me, it is never as bad as you think it is. I would try to get one guidebook (bookstore/library)and a Michelin map. I love Fodor's guidebooks (Fodor's Andalucia, Driving Tours in Andalucia), that is what I would buy. The things I would recommend to do in advance are mostly online stuff that your daughter can do. To be honest, you can get a guidebook at the airport if it comes down to that. No biggie.

Rent a car at the Malaga airport (Auto Europe). Rent from the States, just go to their website (www.autoeurope,com). Driving in Andalucia is not difficult; the roads are really good, they do need to improve on signs (few), but a good map and a sense of humor will get you there.

There are hundreds of ways to do Andalucia. I'll recommend one.

Make lodging reservations for the first couple of days around Malaga. While it is not the most representative part of Andalucia, it seems you need a couple of days to deflate and stay put, regardless of locale. Avoid Torremolinos and Fuengirola. After that, wing it. January is not high season in Andalucia, so you should have no problem with lodging. Malaga has some nice museums and Moorish history, start you vacation at a slow pace around the area. Try priceline for Malaga.

On the third day head out to Coin and Ronda for a day trip. Gorgeous white towns. Coin has beautiful pottery. Do not drive down from Ronda late. It is a mountain town and the drive in/out can be a bit difficult if the weather is not right. Either stay in Ronda or go back to Malaga. The next day head out to Granada EARLY.

In Granada, visit the Alhambra and The Gardens of the Generalife. I've been there 3 times and never bought tickets in advance, but a lot of people recommend it. The site for advance tickets is posted somewhere in this forum. El Albaicin is an old Moorish neighborhood near Granada city centre, stay around the area to get the full experience. Again, I don't think that yoiu need to buy advance tickets for a Jan visit.

From Granada, head out to Cordova. The Mezquita in Cordova is a must.

After Cordova, head out to Sevilla. Do not miss The Alcazar, The Cathedral, and The Giralda. They are next to each other. Sevilla is an enchanting city, and I while I recommend to stay in Barrio de Santa Cruz, a car in Sevilla is a liability. Park it somewhere and head out. In Seville I recommend to stay at Hosteria del Laurel in Barrio de Santa Cruz. This is as representative of Seville as it gets. The author Jose Zorilla lived in this Inn while writing "Don Juan Tenorio". If anything, go there for dinner, great restaurant. They are running a special for January 2006 and the individual rooms are 30 Euros, Great breakfast. This is definitely a good deal (www.hosteriadellaurel.com)

I am not recommending a lot of hotels because I recommend you wing it.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so very much! I needed something simple and straight forward! Can you explain further what you mean when you say "a car in Sevilla is a liability. Park it somewhere and head out." Do you mean park it in Seville or on the outskirts? Do you have a sense of how many days in each city and/or town? That would help me think! My daughter is eager to get out of Malaga (she's been there for a week), so what do you think of heading to Coin and Rondo straight from the airport? Are there places to stay in either place? Do you have a recommendation of which town and where? Also, how long in Cordoba? Is there anything in this scenario we would be missing? Thank you so very much. I'll look for the sites you mention. I am relieved beyond belief.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 02:31 PM

Viajero2,
You are full of great info! I too am going to Andalucia in March with my family. But we only have a week, flying in and out of Malaga.
As painful as it might be, where do you think are the places to skip -- Cordoba? Seville (I don't think so!) Maybe just stop in Granada for the day?
Perhaps just drive straight from the airport to Ronda to avoid a night in Malaga?
I want to make sure we don't spend too much time driving from city to city and lose the chance to really experience a few places.
THanks!

Old Jan 8th, 2006, 03:41 PM

eefrank-- as far as the car statement in Sevilla, I was referring to the fact that the main sights in Sevilla are close to each other, so you don't really need a car to sightsee in Sevilla. Therefore, I would just park it as close as you are allowed to your lodging (you want to ask the hotel for options) and just leave it parked for the duration of your stay.

I honestly feel you should rest upon arrival in Malaga, but if you feel you need to hit the road, then head out to Granada. The good thing about home-basing in Malaga at least for a couple of days is the logistics of day trips to Ronda and Granada.

I suggest: 1.5 days Granada, on to Ronda, 2 days Ronda, drive towards Seville, stop at leisure in some of the White Towns, at least 2 days Seville, a day trip to Cordova from Seville. Coastal leisure drive back to Malaga from Seville will allow you to see spectacular coastal views and White Towns perched on top of mountains. Be aware of limited daylight driving hours.

By the way, I am very appreciative of your consideration, however, my advice pales in comparison with the advice you will find in www.maribelsguides.com. Maribel was a very kind and generous contributor to this forum who eventually branched out and developed her own travel website. She is absolutely fabulous and I strongly recommend you stop by her website and print her (free) file/suggestions for Andalucia.

Tripster-- March is a great time to visit Andalucia. Nature will be waking up from the winter, which adds another dimension of sightseeing possibilities to this wonderful region. As far as logistics, much like previous advice to eefrank, from Malaga head out to Granada, on to Ronda, on to Seville, coastal drive from Seville back to Malaga will allow you the chance to explore some White Towns. You may need to take some detours from the coast inland of course, but is all part of what this region offers. What to skip? That is a tough one. I wouldn't skip Granada nor Seville. A full day in Granada for a visit to The Alhambra is fair. Cordova? either on your way to Seville from Granada, or as a day trip from Seville. Spend some time in Seville, walk around Barrio Santa Cruz at night.

I would not go into Gibraltar; take pictures of The Rock from the main road, but do not go in if limited by time. Also, you will be tempted to go into Tangier. Don't; skip it.

Spain is a wonderful destination, enjoy!!
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 03:51 PM

Thanks again for great advice. I think we'll try to spend just one night in Malaga, either the last or the first.
We are from New York, so I know the sun will feel nice even if it is early spring there!