Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   malaga just beaches (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/malaga-just-beaches-449969/)

montrealvic Nov 5th, 2008 08:10 AM

malaga just beaches

we are planning to go to spain during spring break. will be going to seville, granada, and ronda. we like history, cobblestone street, town squares etc. does malaga have any of this. is it worth going to.

CathyM Nov 5th, 2008 11:45 AM

How long are you spending in Spain?

The city of Malaga is usually bypassed for the resort cities on the Costa del Sol. However, I spent 5 nights in Malaga last April and really enjoyed it - the atmosphere, old town, food, setting.

My concern would be how long you have and is this your first trip to Spain?

joe4212 Nov 5th, 2008 12:11 PM

Yes. Malaga has what you mention and more!

Like CathyM we spent a few days there last year after a trip to Granada, Seville and Cordoba. Much as we enjoyed those beautiful places, had we known how very, very pleasant Malaga was we would have re-arranged the itinerary to ensure we spent a lot more time there.

Its beach is very nice and not at all busy, classy shops, remarkably few tourists, pedestrianised streets and an old quarter that is enchanting. Oh, and the town is overlooked by a large and very old fortress.

It is worth going to. Definately.

joe

montrealvic Nov 5th, 2008 12:16 PM

thanks. we have a total of 12 days. want to split these up seeing seville, granada, and ronda. will have and extra 2 to 3 days. thinking of malaga or anything else you would recommend.

LarryRGV Nov 6th, 2008 10:34 AM

We enjoyed staying in the heart of the pedestrian shopping area in Malaga. Charming city and worth a stay. I assume you are driving from Seville to Ronda to Granada. We drove from Seville to Malaga with a stop in Ronda to see it. I was happy with that decision. For us, a brief stop with lunch and a walk around town and a stop at the fabulous bridge there was perfect. After 3 hours or so we left for Malaga. I see you have left out the two largest cities of Madrid and Barcelona. Lots to see there but of course it is a whole different atmosphere from where you are going. We did like Barcelona. Not impressed with Madrid and hated the airport there. Don't forget about the high speed trains when you are planning where you want to visit. That might affect your how you plan your trip, as those trains are fast and efficient.

Continental_Drifter Nov 6th, 2008 10:41 AM

Malaga is wonderful, as are Marbella and Fuengirola. These are all easy destinations for beaches.

If you are a Picasso fan, Malaga is the proud city of his birth and it pays homage to him in surprisingly delightful ways!

Travel fun and be safe!

((c))

CathyM Nov 6th, 2008 07:02 PM

When exactly is your vacation of 12 days? I could throw some great ideas out for 12 days in Andalucia if I knew when the 12 days fell - there are some fantastic festivals in the spring.

montrealvic Nov 7th, 2008 10:01 AM

our days are from mar 07 to mar 19. we were thinking 4 days seville, 3 days granada, and 4 days split between ronda and arcos. what do you think.

CathyM Nov 7th, 2008 07:39 PM

I'm sorry I forgot to ask before, but are you planning on renting a car or relying on public transportation?

Are you flying into Madrid?