Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   MALAGA-GRANADA-VALENCIA (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/malaga-granada-valencia-1082674/)

darshit Jan 2nd, 2016 12:51 AM

MALAGA-GRANADA-VALENCIA

Hi,

I am planning to travel to MALAGA-GRANADA-VALENCIA in MAY by road.
We are 4 adults
I am looking for a road route which has scenic & coastal route both.
Can you please help plan it.
Also if you can suggest where should I stay over for 1 night.

We have 2 days 1 night to reach from malaga to valencia.

Regards,
Darshit

Rubicund Jan 2nd, 2016 01:49 AM

Malaga to Granada is a couple of hours and I take it that you're going to see the Alhambra? You'll need at least another couple of hours to see it, so you'll have to leave Malaga early unless you are landing at Malaga airport and heading to Granada immediately?

Granada to Valencia is at least 7 maybe 8 hours by road without a stop, so depending on how much sleep you had the night before, the half way point would be in Murcia. If you intend to do Granada then 3/4 hours driving after you got off the plane, then stay in Granada and drive up to Valencia after a good night's sleep.

annhig Jan 2nd, 2016 06:33 AM

personally I would plan on adding in another night and do it like this:

Day 1 - drive from Malaga to Granada east along the coastal route and then north through the mountains. [you can go north and then east but IMO it's not as nice a route]. Book into your hotel and do an evening tour of the Alhambra.

Day 2 - do the morning tour of the Alhambra including the Generalife gardens [will take probably about 5 hours] and spend the rest of the day in Granada seeing the Albercin, the Cathedral etc.

Day 3 - drive to Valencia.

[Alternatively leave Granada after the morning tour of the Alhambra and stop en route to Valencia but it would be a shame to miss the rest of Granada].

Mimar Jan 2nd, 2016 07:35 AM

The Alhambra is the number 1 sight in Spain so we assume you will want to go there. But to fit it into your tight schedule, you need a reservation. In fact you need a reservation whenever; the Alhambra can book up far ahead. Here's the link: www.alhambradegranada.org/en/info/ticketsale.asp

annhig Jan 2nd, 2016 08:06 AM

oh yes, mimar - well said. we were lucky in that although we had our day time tickets booked, we decided at last minute to see if we could get tickets for the night-time tour too. Fortunately we could, but this was several years ago, and in November.

lincasanova Jan 2nd, 2016 12:10 PM

Granada to Valencia is very tedious although good road. Do not attempt after a long tour the same day of the Alhambra.

darshit Jan 4th, 2016 08:17 PM

Hi,

Thank you for all your valuable feedback.

Will do keep in mind the Alhambra ticket booking in advance.

But can anyone tell me best route to take from Malaga to Granada and than from Granada to Valencia.

Regards,
Darshit

lincasanova Jan 5th, 2016 01:48 AM

viamichelin.com