Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Malaga city or next best for Xmas? Also seeking two family apt.

Old Sep 12th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a two family get together over the Christmas holidays in Malaga city and are having a heck of a time finding an apartment that can accommodate 9 people. We can do two apartments in the same building--just wanted an option for cooking the Christmas meal together.

Option A is to stay in Malaga city since so many Fodorites recommended it for a real Spanish feel and much to see. Daytripping is easier from the city I am assuming.

Option B is to stay outside of the city....but where? Still want a Spanish feel and nothing too overdeveloped. We want to be close to public transport for daytrips and sightseeing.

Thanks!
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 12:37 AM

How about Torremolinos? It's near Malaga.. but smaller.
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 05:57 AM

Check out the Tuhillo apartment in Nerja (pop 20 000) some 35 miles east of Málaga. It is very well connected to Málaga and Granada by several daily buses. The apartment is in the absolute best location, at the end of the ciy's oldest and most beautiful street, seafront Calle Carabeo. Nerja has got all the amenities that goes with being popular with tourists, but it has still retained much of its Andalusian charm. Many nice tapas bars very popular with locals close to the Tuhillo apartment. This sleeps 8 people, but there are also other apts. in the same three storey building:

The apartment (still available in December):
http://www.rentinnerja.com/apartments-nerja/AVL15/

Two of my favourite tapas bars close to the apartment:
http://www.nerjatoday.com/barsandres...s/la-puntilla/
http://www.nerjatoday.com/barsandres...ts/los-cunaos/

About the spectacular Nerja caves:
http://www.nerjatoday.com/nerja/nerja-caves/

Excellent site with abundant information about Nerja:
http://www.nerjatoday.com/
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 10:24 AM

You are not going to find what you look for, any town near Malaga is overdeveloped. Those who are not (or partially, as Nerja) are too far. Besides, there may be little activity in those months. Better stay in Malaga, if you want a live city and do daytrips easily.
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 10:43 PM

Ditto to josele and therefore your option A. The city is your public transport hub (as you refer to 'day tripping'), but will you have a car or cars.

I have spent a few minutes looking for somewhere for the size of your party, but there is little that size or not booked in December, in the city area.
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 12:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I think we will stick to Malaga city.
So the search for an apartment(s) continue... In regards to location and the main Plaza los Constitucion, is it better to be situated above or below the Calle Especeria? Provided they are available I see a couple of options in either spot.

Appreciate your replies!
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 03:09 PM

Above or below (north or south) it really depends. Just post the locations and I'll tell you (I live here).
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Josele,
Provided they even have availability...

Calle del Coronado
Calle San Juan
or
Calle Carreteria

If Malaga city proves difficult for us 9, can you recommend an outlying town that would be closer to the city...still some charm? We are overwhelmed with the endless numbers of apartment rentals and don't know which town to start looking.

Thanks! You are a gem!
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 12:00 AM

Coronado and San Juan are pedestrian streets. San Juan is very busy during the day, but lonely and dark at night. Coronado is narrow, in the middle of a very neglected area that's now being pulled down and re-built, and I would not choose it. Carreteria is a very busy street with much single-lane traffic.
I remember another poster, I looked some places for her in calle Eduardo Ocon and in calle Montaño, shall try to find the info.
About outlying areas, another poster chose some apartments in Carretera de Olias, if they read this, maybe they can help.
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 09:10 AM

Torremolinos/Benalmedena are very near Malaga and fabulous at Christmas. I would recommend Owners Direct Website for a good choice of apartments.
Old Sep 17th, 2010, 01:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Josele. I await your reply.
Old Sep 17th, 2010, 02:40 AM

I have not had answer from the other poster, nor found the info I sent, so I cannot help you. Try to find apartments and then I may tell you about locations.
Old Sep 17th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you again everyone for your replies. Holiday planning is taking more time than I will admit, but you are all so helpful! I guess at this moment we are concentrating on Malaga. Family number 2 has a super early flight out on the final day so after reading some of the other posts it would be best to make departure as painless as possible for them and stay closer to the airport!

- Josele, my search continues.

How about Calle Sebastian Souviron?
or
a hotel Petit Palace at Nicasio Calle 3.

Next question.......
Long shot here......if at the last resort we decide on the hotel....are you aware of restaurants that do a recommendable Christmas meal on the 24th or 25th? I am sure hotels will have to serve food but we are hoping for something more than mediocre, (being Christmas).

Thank you kindly for your replies.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 11:40 PM

Sorry for not answering before. I have new info for you.
First, answering to your questions:
Calle Sebastian Souviron is under development, some old buildings are being re-furbished. Central market very near. Should have to go and take a look.
Hotel at calle Nicasio Calle is brand new, perfect location and modern-minimallistic interior in a noble old building.
Many places here serve Christmas Eve dinnrer with a special fixed menu plus the option of drinks and dance, and they serve a good meal. Private restaurants some may open, some may not, at their own decission. On Christmas day there are many places open for lunch.
Finally, I have had some feedback from this fellow fodorite I mentioned above, and here are the links:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-location.cfm#
http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/p43...D_link_LPROP_2