Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Making final plans & need expert itinerary advice for Fussen/Garmisch area! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/making-final-plans-and-need-expert-itinerary-advice-for-fussen-garmisch-area-537663/)

cherylforeurope Jun 18th, 2005 07:57 AM

Making final plans & need expert itinerary advice for Fussen/Garmisch area!

Please help...driving from Rothenburg to Garmisch and staying for 2 nights before driving to Berchtesgaden. Want to see at least
Neuschwanstein, Wieskirche, Ettal & Mittenwald and not sure in what order to start. Wanted to
purchase castle tickets before leaving home.
(We'll be there end of Sept.) Would it be best to leave Rothenburg early (by 8 am) and
plan on visiting the castle first to avoid backtracking and if so, what time should I reserve the tickets for? Then stop at the church and Ettal on the way to Garmisch and visit Mittenwald the next day? Or would it be better to stay in Fussen 1 night and Garmisch 1 night...don't care about packing, etc. Also, any driving tips, things I should know, watch out for, along this route? This part of the itinerary is driving me nuts...thanks to all who offer assistance. :)

Bob_KY Jun 19th, 2005 02:49 PM

It depends on how you get to the castle area from Rothenburg. We drove the entire Romantic Road from Rothenburg and got to Neuschwanstein about 6 at night, but we stopped in several towns on the way down. I'm not sure of the driving time if you go by Autobahn. I can tell you that Fussen is a very nice place to stay. I would also guess that you would not have to get tickets in advance at the end of September (we did not at the end of April), but I am not sure of that. Anyway, all the places you mentioned are fairly close together.

jacksonjr Jun 19th, 2005 03:43 PM

Cheryl I drove from Rothenberg to Garmisch stopping in Dinkelsbuhl enroute and spent the remainder of the day exploring Garmisch. Next morning I spent the morning in Mittenwald a 20 minute drive.The afternoon Was spent visting Ettal,Oberramagau and Klos Lindenhof a Ludwig casle I enjoyed as much as Neuschwanstein. The following day I went to Neuschwanstein, Hohenschwangau and stopped at the Wieskirche in the afternoon.The castles are only 38 miles from Garmisch so I don't think you have to split your stay betweem Garmisch and Fussen. I was there in mid sept. and reserved tickets it saved some time but the lines were not huge. The Alpenhof in Garmisch is an excellent restaurant. The sights you want to see are all easy drives from Garmisch relax and enjoy.

jofrommelbourne Jun 19th, 2005 06:47 PM

It is all very close and at the end of September there should be no need to book - jacksonjr is correct about the Linderhof castle being also terrific to visit. We stayed in Fussen at night and visited Neuschwanstein next morning which was good because there is a steep hill (unless you take the horsedrawn carriage) and it was nice to be fresh. Wieskirche could then be done early in the afternoon and then you could visit Linderhof. An overnight stay in Garmisch would work well but so would a stay in Mittenwald which is close by and not as large and commercial.

When you drive to Berchtesgaden be sure to take the 'Deutsche Alpenstrasse' rather than the autobahn. www.deutsche-alpenstrasse.de.

Do visit the Eagles Nest out of Berchtesgaden - only on a clear day though. The quiet little town of Bad Reichenhall would have plenty of lowcost accommodation options and it is very close to Berchtesgaden.

Hope these bits and pieces are of help - that area is one of our all time favourites.

Watzmann Jun 21st, 2005 08:03 AM

If you took the fastest route from Rothenburg to Füssen, it would be 248km and take 2h18min. (viamichelin.de)Iīd rather do this track in the evening, say leave Rothenburg at 5pm. This would give you the opportunity of being really early at Neuschwanstein, later you could do the Wieskirche, which really shouldnīt be missed. Mittenwald as well as Ettal are in close range of Garmisch, as said before. Only 10km off Ettal is Schloß Linderhof. To be honest, there`s no big difference between Mittenwald and Garmisch regarding architecture, food, lifestyle. Garmisch is simply a bit larger, a town in the alpes so to speak. Both are nicely situated in the mountains. So, if you simply plan to visit the village of Mittenwald or Garmisch for itself, you could actually skip one of the two. Your schedule probably wonīt allow it and I donīt know, whether you are a bit into hiking, but my ultimate advice would be: Walk from Neuschwanstein to Linderhof through the mountains. That's a splendid and not very challenging 2-day hiking tour (much shorter distance through the mountains than by car all around) with one great night in an alpine hut. Then go back to your car by train from garmisch

AisleSeat Jun 21st, 2005 08:12 AM

If you look at the map and just read the places from left to right it is Mittenwald, Garmish, Ettal, Linderhoff (side trip) Oberammergau, Wieskirche then Fussen. It is all small roads except between Garmish and Mittenwald, but they are good roads and shouldn't be a problem.

AisleSeat Jun 21st, 2005 08:12 AM

Sorry, I am looking South when I said left to right.