Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Major disruptions to Swiss rail service (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/major-disruptions-to-swiss-rail-service-937918/)

FoFoBT Jun 5th, 2012 11:55 AM

Major disruptions to Swiss rail service

Just an FYI - there are major disruptions to the main (ICN/EC) rail routes between Zurich/Basel and the Ticino or Milan due to a landslide. More info here:
http://fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/help.exe/...owmap_external

We are lucky - by chance, we came back from Lugano the day before the landslide.

Surfergirl Jun 5th, 2012 12:15 PM

Thanks for the info and an even bigger thanks for that incredible up to date map of services!

greg Jun 5th, 2012 12:54 PM

I am continued to be amazed by the operational competency of the SBB even when it comes to updating route disruptions. The shows the areas of problems, what is being done, and what you need to do about it.

Dukey1 Jun 5th, 2012 01:24 PM

Read the entire passage; there are alternatives.

FoFoBT Jun 7th, 2012 09:46 AM

An interesting and scenic alternative (if you've got extra time to spare) is catching the Palm Express bus from Lugano to St. Moritz. A terrific ride. Then from Saint Moritz onto Zurich or Basel via Landquart or Chur. You'd have to overnight somewhere (we did it going the opposite direction and overnighted in Bad Ragaz to enjoy the spa and the outdoor sculptural exhibition held only once every three years...

isabel Jun 7th, 2012 04:36 PM

Any idea if this will be a long term disruption - are we talking a few days or weeks?

isabel Jun 7th, 2012 04:58 PM

Just found an article that says the disruption will be for at least a month. Which is just about when I need to use that line. I have tickets on the train from Milan to Basel on July 11 (and was planning to take a train an hour and a half later from Basel on to Luxembourg). Right now it says the disruption will last till July 6. It indicates that you can still get there but to allow an extra 90 minutes. There are later trains to Luxembourg. Do you think the SBB would honor the ticket for a later train, given that it would be their fault if I missed it?

kybourbon Jun 8th, 2012 11:30 AM

isabel - See my post on your other thread.

martinZH Jun 9th, 2012 11:57 AM

Isabel,

this is no problem at all. You will drive over Domodossola, Brig, Spiez, Bern, Basel. You don't have to change between Milano and Basel (traveling the major tunnels: The Simplon tunnel between Domodossola and Brig, 20km) and the quite new (2007) Lötschberg Basis tunnel: between Brig and Spiez, 34.6km). You don't even have to consider to have some extra spare time in Basel, your connection will be seamless. And I am quite sure you don't have to spend more money (or even to change your ticket), since the Swiss railway ask you to use this route instead, because of the rockfall on the as well as senic Gotthard route. But probably you have to check out first, if you have to change your ticket, especially, if you have a seat reservation.

And for any connection information use the timetable of the Swiss railway (SBB CFF FFS): http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html.
You can even find most appropriate any information on it by using Milano as the starting point and Luxembourg as the destination, though indicate that the travel has to go via Basel (instead of Paris).

Click on the plus sign (+) on the left to see further details.

If you click on the map icon (below your preferred journey), you can even see where the travel goes along. Or if you click on the train icon ("travel with") you can check out the exact time of every stop (at least true for Switzerland ;)).

And I just read in the newspaper that the delay between Tessin (southern Switzerland) and Zurich will only be about 30 minutes, as long as you do not travel druing travel rush hours (a lot of passengers). And please be aware of, if you want to travel nevertheless between Bellinzona and Zurich, you can't take a bike with you, because you will have to change into (too narrow and filled up) buses inbetween (between Goeschenen (just after the 15km long Gotthard tunnel) and Fluelen).

Last but not least: I am - of course - somehow disappointed that you don't even to consider to make a stop in Switzerland :((

Cheers

martinZH Jun 9th, 2012 12:30 PM

... but, I may add, since the route from Milan to Domodossola is still in Italy, and this will not be the same route in Italy as when you would travel to Bellinzona (Switzerland) and Zurich, you will have propably to change your ticket for the italian part, since I do not expect the Italians (italian railway) feeling responsible (of course they are not) or solidarity for the problem of the Swiss railway!

Not so serioulsy mentioned: But you could travel to Bellinzona and change there to the train to Domodossola, Brig, Basel. This is possible since the trains between Locarno (comming from Bellinzona) and Domodossola (this one is cald FART, no joke) and the one between Domodossola and Brig (SBB) are beeing operated by Swiss train companies. And since all Swiss train companies (and many more public transport) are organised by the same ticketing system, you would probably not to pay any additional costs.

But at the same time you would have to take into account some additional time: only the train ride between Bellinzona and Domodossola takes 2:36h.

Though the train ride between Locarno and Domodossola (by FART!) is extremly scenic!

So it is only an option if you have a lot of additional time and would love to snail ride though the Centovalli (Switzerland) ans Valle Vigezzo (Italy).