Maison L'Arabe in Marrakesh

Mar 7th, 2007, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Maison L'Arabe in Marrakesh

Hello. I understand that I am posting in the Europe forum - I wanted to reach out to the maximum number of folks (and it seems that Morocco is a popular destination from England/France).
My husband and I are doing a quick getaway to Morocco from NJ, USA. I am debating between La Maison Arabe and the Riad d'orangeraie in Marrakesh. Working against the Riad is the lack of airconditioning. Working against the Maison is the lack of pool onsite. We would appreciate any feedback from people who have stayed at either of the two places; specifically those who have stayed at the Maison and how much of a hassle it is to get to the pool.
Having a pool is not a central theme of this vacation (understanding this is not the Caribbean), but thought it would be nice to have a pool to cool off in at the end of the day.
Any tips or comments would be appreciated (We are spending 3 nights at Kasbah du Toubkal in the mountains,and 2 nights in Marrakesh).
Thank you!
Mar 7th, 2007, 07:13 AM

Hi,
Although I haven't stayed at either of the places you mention, I hope you won't mind me chipping in with a recommendation.
A couple of years ago we stayed at Riad Clémentine in the Medina. It has both air conditioning (and we needed it, as max daytime temperatures went up to 50 C) and a small rooftop pool. Lovely décor, easy to access by petit taxi (located near Bab Doukkala), nice food and friendly owners. http://www.riad-clementine.com/

And no I'm not affiliated in any way with the place, just very happy with our stay there!!
Mar 7th, 2007, 07:23 AM

I just read an excellent article on Marrakesh , very informative and there was also o section on the foods with lots of great pictures

http://tinyurl.com/2jwaru
Mar 7th, 2007, 07:29 AM

I haven't stayed at either but passed Maison on a recent trip. Location was good. Check trip advisor for reviews. Here is a link to my trip report,(in mOrocco last month) if nothing else it will give you good haggling pointers in the souks. Have a great time in an awesome country!

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34944264
Mar 7th, 2007, 07:35 AM

I haven't stayed at the Maison Arabe, but I did go there for a hammam appointment and some tea in October. The hotel is absolutely beautiful, and in a really good location in the medina. The breakfast area was gorgeous and would be pleasant to cool off in. It's so nice there that I don't think you should worry about the pool.

However, speaking of pools, there is a ridiculously beautiful place that opened just outside Marrakesh last May called La Plage Rouge. It's an outdoor bar/restaurant set up around a really big sand-filled pool that slopes gently down, like the beach. Around the pool are not just tables, but white canopied beds with terrycloth sheets. It's hard to explain, but very beautiful (the website is a tad on the scary side, so try not to be put off by that). There's a shuttle bus that takes you there (it's about 15 minutes drive from the medina). If you really want to go swimming, go there one night for cocktails, and bring your bathing suits. That would be much more romantic than a hotel pool.
Mar 7th, 2007, 11:36 AM

I found the link for the foods of Marrakesh and Morocco

http://tinyurl.com/3bulnx