Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Mainz, Germany- hotel & restaurant suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be in Mainz just for a quick overnight at the end of this month- coming from the Frankfurt airport early Saturday morning and flying out again Sunday afternoon, so convenience to a train station would be nice.

Hotels that I'm looking at are:
the Hyatt- looks nice, but 155€ is a little more than I really wanted to pay.

the Hotel Koenigshof- right by the train station- some reviews on Tripadvisor say the area could be noisy.
price is around 75€, including breakfast and free Wifi.

For restaurants I'm looking at Heiligen Geist. Any other recommendations?
Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 09:20 AM

I'vs stayed at the Maina Ibis, only a block from the Mainz Roemisches Theater train station, which is the station closest to the old town area (Augustinerstrasse) and also to Frankfurt airport; it's only a block from there to Mainz' Stadtpark as well and a short walk to the Rhine. Tickets to FRA are about 3 Euros each from there, a 20-25 minute ride; get tickets from machines at the station. (Check out the Roman theatre being unearthed there at the rear set of tracks - hence the station name.)

The Ibis is inexpensive, with weekend discounts, and rooms are small but comfortable enough. No noise bothered us there. Breakfast buffet available.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 09:20 AM

Sorry - the MAINZ Ibis.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Russ.
The reviews of the Ibis on Tripadvisor aren't exactly glowing, but the price is right- 59€, although that doesn't include breakfast or internet.

I think the Koenigshof still sounds better to me...
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 10:57 AM

Yes, depends on what you're looking for... the atmosphere in and around the Mainz Hbf station, where the Koenigshof lies, is uninspired at best - the station and the Koenigshof are also a lengthy walk from Mainz' attractive old town, south of the Dom. The immediate vicinity of the Ibis isn't any better, but it's only a couple of blocks to the old town along Augustinerstrassse, the Augustinerkirche, the Dom, and Mainz' most atmospheric eateries, and the Heiliggeist is a bit closer as well. I used to live in Mainz and visit often, so I have my prejudices, certainly... If you're focused mostly on the rooms, I'm sure you'll do a bit better at the Koenigshof.