Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

mailboat travel along the Norwegian coast

Oct 27th, 2001, 04:13 PM
sandy

Where can we obtain info regarding the mailboat schedule/cost for carrying passengers up the coast of Norway? We wish to disembark along the way, stay overnight and rejoin the mailboat the next day.
Thanks.

Oct 27th, 2001, 04:27 PM
Judy

Try:www.coastalvoyage.com. I took the trip January last year.

Oct 28th, 2001, 01:45 AM
Bjorn Alvik

Or http://www.hurtigruten.no

Oct 28th, 2001, 05:12 AM
Patrick

Sandy, be prepared for this to be more difficult than one might think. We did
just three nights of it from the northern end at Kirkenes and got off in Bodo. We had tried to set up to stay overnight in one or two places, but could not get availability on the next boat. In fact, at one time we were planning to stay in Bodo for two nights then take another mail boat down to Trondheim where we were picking up a car. We were unable to schedule space on the Bodo to Trondheim segment, so we had to fly instead. We worked on this starting about 10 months before we went. In fact, they wouldn't confirm our reservation at all until about three weeks before departure as they made all "partial" cruises dependent upon the bookings for the full length cruise from Kirkenes to Bergen or vice versa. This route has become very popular and our boat was mainly filled with German tour groups, who frankly dominated the top deck lounge -- holding all the seats for their friends. We did this trip the second week of July and the weather was horrible -- very cold, extremely rough seas making nearly everyone on board sick (including much of the crew), and very windy and rainy. On the final night coming into Bodo at 3 AM, it had cleared up and the midnight sun was spectacular. In fact our last day on board through some of the most beautiful fjords in the world was indeed memorable. We actually enjoyed the trip more than my report may sound like, but just wanted to warn you about the difficulty of scheduling on and off stops. I am not a cruise person because I don't like those very brief stops in which you can't really explore any place. The Hurtigruten stops are usually only about an hour or two and often happen during the middle of the night so they are particularly disappointing.

Oct 28th, 2001, 05:20 AM
Patrick

Sandy, be prepared for this to be more difficult than one might think. We did just three nights of it from the northern end at Kirkenes and got off in Bodo. We had tried to set it up with an overnight stop along the way (in Tromso) and had planned to spend two nights at Bodo then take another boat to Trondheim where we were getting a car. Although we started trying to book almost 10 months ahead, the company would not confirm us until about three weeks before departure as they were waiting for the bookings for the "full" passage from Kirkenes to Bergen. We couldn't get off overnight in Tromso, and we were unable to get another boat from Bodo to Trondheim, so ended up having to fly that segment. We went the second week of July, which might be especially busy. Our boat was packed with German tour groups who "reserved" all the seats in the main observation lounge for their friends. The weather was truly horrible, cold, windy, rainy, and very rough seas making most of the passengers and much of the crew very sick. However, the midnight sun our final night as we came into Bodo at 3AM was spectacular, and we did have some pretty clear weather as we cruised in and out of some of the most spectacular fjords in the world. I'm not a cruise person because I like to spend time in the ports and really explore. The Hurtigruten stops are usually just an hour or two and often in the middle of the night, so they really don't offer much sightseeing opportunity. Just wanted to warn you about the difficulty of trying to do what you want to do. Good luck, maybe you'll do better than we could do.

Oct 28th, 2001, 05:23 AM
Patrick

Sorry about the above two posts, the first one kept refusing to post because I took too long to look up some of the info, then it disappered into cyber space. Somehow when I did the second one from memory of what I'd just said, the first one posted at the same time. What gives with this site?

Oct 28th, 2001, 11:33 AM
Don

This might interest you:

I took Flagrutten line from Stavanger to Bergen this Summer and it stops about 8 times (if I recall correctly) at islands and fishing villages very isolated from the rest of Norway. One-way was only about US$50 and the boat was very nice. I believe they are online at flagrutten.no. Hope this helps you.

Oct 28th, 2001, 11:37 AM
Don

Forget to add the Flagrutten allow hop-on/hop-off within specified time frame (1 week maybe?). There were some B&Bs on the islands and one or two small hotels along the way. Here's a better link: www.hsd.no/hsd/flaggrutenEng.nsf