Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Magic in Ireland? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/magic-in-ireland-202805/)

Leslie Apr 21st, 2002 12:33 PM

Magic in Ireland?

Who can tell me about the wonders of Dublin & Galway Ireland. We will be there with two boys (8 & 10) and would love to hear about must sees and reasonable family friendly restaurants. Reading about London get me so exciting (we visiting there for five days, too), but now I want to hear about Ireland!

luvsireland2 Apr 21st, 2002 12:40 PM

Books books and books! Go to amazon.com and type in "enchanted Ireland, haunted Ireland, or Irish elves" many excellent books on Ireland. Since you're running out of time a local bookstore would be better but the website is a good reference for authors. Once you get there you will find lots of novels on local folklore and wonder.

Leslie Apr 21st, 2002 12:46 PM

Thanks for the advice, I am a bit desperate because, the trip is a surprise, we are taging along on my husbands business trip and I just found out about the trip less than a week ago and we leave the April 30! The only book I have right now is Fodors guide to Ireland, but intend to get more!

Cyndi Apr 21st, 2002 12:57 PM

Be sure to read all that has already been written about those places by using the 'text search' above. (do separate searches for 'Dublin', 'Galway', etc.)

charlie Apr 22nd, 2002 10:11 AM

Hi Leslie,<BR> My wife and I have been to Ireland several times. This past summer we stayed in Galway and then traveled to Dublin. Both places are lots of fun. Try the website, Galway.net. This is a good site with lots of info. We took two tours in Galway, the Burren Tour and the Connemara. The company we went with was O'Neachtin Tours. You can find them on the internet and they outline both tours. There is plenty to do.They have Greyhound racing in Galway and it's kind of fun to watch.<BR> I love Dublin. I think the boys will like it also. There is tour group called the Wild Wicklow Tours.I've been on their tours several times. Once with my wife and last summer when our sons came over. I highly recommend the Glendalough Tour. The half day tour of Malihide Castle is also pretty good. They have a good website also and you can make your reservations online. My wife and son went on the Haunted Dublin bus tour and said it was very good. I decided to have a couple of pints instead!! I never used the hop on and off tour bus in Dublin. We preferred to walk rather then wait for the buses to come. Temple bar has some great restaurants. You can also find the American standards, McDonald's, TGIF, etc.<BR>You'll have a great time!!<BR>Charlie<BR>

cd Apr 22nd, 2002 10:35 AM

I think your children might enjoy taking a ferry from Galway to the Aran Islands. I understand that you can also fly over.

ml Apr 22nd, 2002 11:00 AM

Hi Leslie, <BR>We were in Dublin for two nights with our then 9 and 13 year old girl and boy.<BR>I would recommend the hop-on/hop-off bus tour as a way to quickly acclimate to the city. You by a ticket for the day and it takes you form stop to stop on a double decker bus.They pick up at frequent regular times. You can choose what sites you want to see...get off and spend some time...then when finished you can hop on for more touring. All the major sites are included...Dublin Zoo, Trinity College,Dublinia,etc. While riding, a tour guide gives a speal about the sites with plenty of humor interjected. Touristy,yes, but the kids loved it an we found it an inexpensive and easy way to get familiar with the city locales in a short time. We were there in June and I was grateful that I'd packed pair of those cheap little stretchy knit gloves. The top of the bus was a bit chilly!<BR>Have a great time!

Amy Apr 22nd, 2002 01:00 PM

I second the advice on the Dublin Zoo. It is great. Also, out in County Galway, there are the Ailwee Caves, which I would think would be fun for kids that age.