Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Madrid with Teenagers (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/madrid-with-teenagers-747731/)

fairoaksjim Nov 10th, 2007 05:31 AM

Madrid with Teenagers

We will be in Madrid for one week during Thanksgiving break. No bullfights. No Real Madrid games on the schedule. We will take (drag) them to the big three museums. But then what? Flamenco? Day trip to Toledo? Restaurants not to be missed? We are loving Maribel's great guide. But any other focused thoughts? Thanks.

danon Nov 10th, 2007 06:31 AM

I would not "drag" kids to all the museums . Maybe a short visit to Prado.
Retiro park is lovely ( one can rent a
boat there)
One place that might be interesting ( maybe more for boys) is the armory at the Palace. It is fantastic.
A day trip to Toledo is a good idea ( buy tickets for AVE a day AHEAD, they sell fast )
If they are teenage girls, window shopping in Salamanca may be fun.
Madrid is a big city with a zillion places to eat.
Depends on where you are , your budget and the kids taste.

fairoaksjim Nov 10th, 2007 04:29 PM

I agree–never drag. Daughter is currently in AP Art History so she should love it. I have been waiting for over 30 years to see Guernica.

Anyone else?

BettyB Nov 10th, 2007 10:42 PM

We took our daughter, then 15, to Madrid. She loved seeing Guernica and even better, Bosch's "Garden of Delights" and Breughel's "Triumph of Death" in the Prado. After all that, she really loved a visit to the zoo! It was April, and there were lots of baby animals about... We all enjoyed visiting the Sorolla Museum, which is in the house where he lived for the last 13 years of his life - excellent stuff.

Aduchamp1 Nov 10th, 2007 10:45 PM

I am curious, what did you think the teens woule enjoy in Europe?

What do you enjoy in Europe?

GSteed Nov 10th, 2007 11:38 PM

Europe is more than churches and museums. Football may be the #1 activity followed by theater, including cinema. Do you and your children regularly visit museums in your home area? What sports do the children play? No one mentions, cemeteries but they offer real insights into any areas history. Read, Michener's, 'Introduction' to, 'Iberia'. His notes about, 'tapa bars', ,may suggest a Madrid activity.

worldinabag Nov 11th, 2007 12:12 AM

Hola

One of the largest flea markets in the world is held in Madrid every Sunday. Get there in the morning. Easy to get to using the metro. The kids will luv it. I don't know if they're into it but the Naval Museum (Paseo del Prado, 5) is free of charge. I thought it was awesome! Hours 9am-2pm Mon-Fri. Then you've got the lovely Retiro Park which is also free of charge. For some groovy gear take them shopping at Zara (Preciados 14 just off Puerta del Sol). And of course no visit to Madrid is complete without chocolate and churros (sticks of fried dough). San Ginés Chocolateria is at the end of Calle de Coloreros. Faaantastic! The Madrid Vision Service - http://www.madridvision.es - offers a Hop On Hop Off bus service when everyone's had enough of walking.
A day trip to Toledo is good idea. Go on a Tuesday to for the traditional market that takes place at Plaza de Zocodover.

Sassafrass Nov 11th, 2007 12:14 AM

You and your Teens might enjoy a walk with Historian, Stephen Drake-Jones. I've taken a number of walks and day trips to Segovia with him with teens. The kids just loved him. Be forewarned: He is quite a character; but he is also a brilliant man, knowledgeable about Spain and Madrid, and a great storyteller.
Look him up on-line (lots of information about him and the Wellington Society), give him a call and ask what he has to offer when you are there. He may have a trip lined up, or just take you on a walk and tell you wonderful stories about Madrid and take you to tapas bars. Make sure you tell him you will have teens with you so he can gear it to them. He can also tell you about any special things happening that week, get tickets for great Flamenco music and take you to some unique restaurants and tapas bars.

ComfyShoes Nov 11th, 2007 02:22 PM

fairoaksjim, Actually I took my 9 and 6 year olds to all three and they never had a problem. The key is to not overwhelm kids by being flexible if needed.

Consider browsing http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34954915 for additional ideas vis-a-vis restaurants and what to do etc (although maribel guides do a hell of a job).

NEDSIRELAND Nov 11th, 2007 03:14 PM

Retiro Park is a great idea for Sunday morning (beginning around 11 AM). You'll see Street Performers like mimes - they're not agressive like at Pier 39 in San Francisco or New York's Washingyon Square Park; and if you get lucky, you might get to see a Cantaor de Flamenco.

Speaking of which: Florida Park, a Restaurant / Nightclub just inside the O'Donnell street entrance to the Park, has an early evening show (por la tarde) that your teenagers may be allowed to attend. It Begins aroune 20:30. Dances include Sevillanas & Jotas Aragonesas and they are very well done. Kids can get an appreciation for the other kinds of music and they will swear that the Sevillanas are Flamenco. The early show ends around 22:00 after which teenagers are probably not welcome.

Toledo is a good idea for a daytrip as is the Palacio Réal. Segovia is my second favorite daytrip but we usually combine it with Sepulveda.

I can't recommend restaurants - we stay with relatives - when we dine out, they lead the way.

fairoaksjim Nov 11th, 2007 04:36 PM

Any not to be missed restaurants in Madrid with my group?

Also what Flamenco spot? ( I have read that thread!)

Thanks for all this great help.

pwpark Nov 11th, 2007 08:21 PM

i would suggest trying the Thyssen museum which has european impressionist art - they may recognize a few - as well as a few american pieces. The other thing we have sometimes tried to do is see where the locals teenagers hang out so ours can glimpse what life is like for their age group. Just be prepared to tell them why they cant have vespas at home.

kenderina Nov 12th, 2007 07:09 AM

How old are your teenagers ? I have some problems trying to figure, I've read here people calling "teenagers" to 20 years old people LOL. I am Spanish, I got puzzled easily ;)

fairoaksjim Nov 12th, 2007 12:47 PM

Girl-Just turned 16. Boy nearly 18. Another daughter is 21 and she will be along, but she LOVES everything. They both have been to Europe three times each.

We will be staying at the Hostal Persal. Any thoughts on tapas places and other restaurants nearby?

amsdon Nov 12th, 2007 12:51 PM

Well in that case I really don't see a problem at all. At that age they are able to enjoy everything you do. Including flamenco, museums & more. You are all so lucky to have the opportunity to travel as a family!

lincasanova Nov 12th, 2007 01:18 PM

my kids would probably like an afternoon of this

http://kartcsainz.com/

http://www.kartaventura.com/

there is indoor skiing also here

www.millsmadridxanadu.com

Christina Nov 12th, 2007 01:50 PM

I didn't go to Toledo, but I did do a day trip to Segovia from Madrid and really liked that town a lot, so I'd suggest that.

I wouldn't think flamenco would be of much interest. It's really an acquired taste, and to be honest, I like dance and studied it a lot myself (not flamenco, but ballet and some Latin dance) and I don't much like flamenco. I like seeing some of the footwork for about 10 minutes, but then get a headache from both the dance and the music, that's for sure. Maybe they'll loved it, who knows, I'm just saying I wouldn't assume that's of interest to them. I'm sure they'll have it in Madrid, but that isn't really its hot spot, anyway (flamenco).

I'd think you'd have fun just walking around the shops around Plaza Mayor.

kenderina Nov 12th, 2007 02:55 PM

With that age (almost all adults, here legal adult age is 18) give them a guide and let them choose !!
Anyway, they can do everything you want to do :)
Day trip to Toledo or Segovia looks like a great idea.
If they want to go to a soccer match, try Atletico de Madrid schedule, they play home when Real plays away. It's a 1st team also.

Maybe they will like a musical ?

There are tons of things to do :)

danon Nov 13th, 2007 06:50 AM

Your hotel is in a very central, busy area. There are more bars and restaurants around Santa Ana than any
place I have visited.
In Madrid , you are never too far from food, beer and wine!

If you wish to see a very different side of Madrid ( than where your hotel is), visit Salamanca ( Serrano stop or you can walk from Retiro).
The streets are tree lined, the buildings ( and people) are elegant , the most expensive shops ( Prada, Armani, Dior etc) are wonderful for window shopping.
It is a much more quiet, lovely (IMO,) and less touristy part of central Madrid .

fairoaksjim Nov 13th, 2007 06:46 PM

Thanks for all the help. Great advice.

What kind of a team is Atletico de Madrid. How does it compare to Real Madrid? Where is the stadium?