Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Madrid: Which area would you recommend renting an apartment? Short notice NOW?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2018, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello all:
I have an unexpected opportunity to be ‘away’ for 8-10 days in November.

I have been to Madrid dozens of times in the past, on business mostly, at least a 15 years ago, so I am not familiar with it at all anymore.

On previous visits, I stayed mostly in Four/Five Star hotels on the Gran Via. I know I do not want to stay there again!

I want to do this trip relatively cheaply, so I will rent an apartment, using Airbnb, for the first time.

I would appreciate if you can advise me on the areas I should consider, so I can narrow down my search, as I have only a very limited time to research and book an apartment.

A real bonus is if you could recommend an apartment in a nice area for about £50 per night!

Best regards … Ger
Old Nov 2nd, 2018, 12:58 PM
twk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got back from Spain a couple of weeks ago. Can't help you with an apartment less than 50 pound/night, but I will say that you might want to look at the area around the museums. The tourist heart of the town extends from Retiro Park to the Royal Palace, and pretty much anywhere in between is walkable. We stayed right smack dab in the middle at an apartment on Calle des Esparteros that we found on VRBO (bigger and more expensive than you need), and while this worked fine for us, our street was probably the quietest street around--it seems to me that everything around Plaza Mayor and Puerta del Sol is going to have a lot of street noise at night. Our street was dominated by hostels rather than bars, so we lucked out. I think you might have better luck towards the Prado.
Old Nov 2nd, 2018, 01:00 PM

We had an apartment on the Calle de las Huertas through Airbnb. It is the area between the Atocha train station and Puerta des Sol. Lots of restaurants and tapas bars in the area.
Old Nov 2nd, 2018, 02:59 PM

We stayed in Cortes, on Calle de Jesus, which is in the museum area. We loved it. Very convenient, but lots of small streets to explore and a sense of neighborhood. Unfortunately, the apt we had (around $90/night), is booked during November. But we enjoyed the area.
Old Nov 2nd, 2018, 06:31 PM

We stayed here during our visit to Madrid. Just around the corner from Plaza Oriente and one block from the Opera metro stop. We found it to be the perfect location.

https://www.vrbo.com/6587207ha
Old Nov 3rd, 2018, 07:24 AM

We always stay close to Retiro, but I am not sure what you can get wirh your budget.
Plaza Orinte is also nice ....
Old Nov 5th, 2018, 08:58 PM

Chueca and Goya are more residential neighborhoods with very different personalities.
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 02:08 AM

Calle de Toledo in La Latina is a great location. Walking distance to Plaza Mayor etc and close to great restaurants and tapas bars.