Possible 3 week driving trip through the Czech Republic

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2018, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a 3 week trip for September. We like to travel leisurely and try to see as much of a country as we can. I would really appreciate any thoughts or suggestions you might have on this itinerary. I know right now it is longer than 3 weeks so I might have to eliminate or shorten some stops and I would appreciate any thoughts on that.

We would fly NY to Prague. I plan on staying in Prague for the day we arrive plus 4 full days for the city plus two more days for day trips to Karlstejn and Lidice/Terezin. Then we would rent a car

Drive to the Karlovy Vara area for 2 nights visiting Krivoklat on the way and seeing Loket, Marianske Lazne, Frantiskovy Lazne and Karlovy Vara while there.

Drive to Plzen for 1 night touring the brewery and visiting the Patton Museum (my husband is very interested in WWII)

Drive to Cesky Krumlov for 2 nights visiting the town and also Holasovice and Hluboka nad Vltavov.

We would stay 3 nights in the next area visiting Telc, Tabor, Trebon, Jindrichuv Hradec, Cervena Lhota and Slavonice (where my husband would want to see the WWII defenses Rick Steves talks about)

Drive to the area of Mikulov for 3-4 nights visiting Mikulov, Lednice Chateau, Trebic, Boskovice and Brno and maybe have a day to just relax

Drive to Olomouc and stay for 2 nights. On the way to Olomouc visit Buchlovice and Kromeriz. While at Olomouc visit Pernstejn Castle, Hrad Bouzov castle and the Punkva caves

Drive to Kutna Hora for 2 or 3 nights visiting the town, Konopiste Castle and Cesky Sternberk.

Fly home

Thank you for any help you can give me with this.
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 01:51 PM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
We have visited many of these destinations, and your itinerary sounds lovely. On our road trips throughout CZ we have noted lackluster road food options; you may want to pack picnics.

During the Mikulov portion of your itinerary you might consider Valtice; the castle is pretty, and there are lovely wine tastings to enjoy, as well. A short distance from Valtice near the Austrian border is a free standing bunker.

Since there is WWII interest, is there any way to add time for Ostrava? It was home to the former Eastern Bloc's largest blast furnace, and was the city "from which the Iron Curtain flowed." It is possible to wander a portion of the site, and even take a guided tour.
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 12:11 AM

You try to cram *way* too much into your days. For example:

" Drive to Olomouc and stay for 2 nights. On the way to Olomouc visit Buchlovice and Kromeriz. While at Olomouc visit Pernstejn Castle, Hrad Bouzov castle and the Punkva caves " No idea how you could do all this. You only have one day for Olomouc and want to visit three (!) sights that are outside the city. Realistic is to see Olomouc that day and scratch all of the other sights.

Ditto for Karlovy Vary.
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both. Ingo that is just the type of suggestion I need. It's hard to sit in your kitchen and know whether what you are planning will work. Fourfortravel thank you for the suggestions. I didn't know about the bunker.