Madrid to Sevilla AVE Questions

Jul 8th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Madrid to Sevilla AVE Questions

We are taking the overnight train from Paris to Madrid and arriving at 9:13 on a Sunday morning. If I have read everything correctly we will need to take a cab from Chamartin to Atocha and that it will take about 30 minutes. I am anticipating getting to the station in time for the 11:00 AVE to Sevilla. Do you think that I will have enough time and do I need to buy tickets (we need 3) prior to getting to Madrid? Thanks.
Jul 8th, 2006, 08:29 PM

Hi!

Sunday morning traffic is not usually bad but I will definitely buy the tickets before .
Jul 9th, 2006, 01:27 AM

A taxi shouldn't take 30-min from Chamartin to Atocha on a Sunday AM. Assuming you have lots of luggage it will take you some time to get to the Taxi queue at Chamartin. Then you have to get from the Taxi dropoff point at Atocha to the AVE ticket office (in the north concourse) and back to the Track for AVE.

If it were me, I think I would target the 12:00 AVE. That would leave you plenty of time. If you get to Atocha early, you can have breakfast while waiting.
Jul 9th, 2006, 01:52 AM

I've done this very trip and here is my advice:

be PREPARED for the overnight Elipsos train to be LATE..perhaps not by much but it can be delayed.

I would very STRONGLY listen to Nedesireland's advice and book the later AVE departure.
Jul 9th, 2006, 02:55 AM

I do not think you'll find traffic on Sunday at that hour, (expecting the Paris train arrives in time)but you may find long lines at the Atocha booking offices, so book online, it is very easy at www.renfe.es
You can buy for the later train, and if you arrive early in Atocha you can change your tickets for the earlier one (if there are seats, of course). An "inmediate departure" booking office opens 30 min before departure of every AVE.
One more thing is that prior boarding the AVE you have to pass an x-ray luggage control that may take some extra minutes, depending on the line.
Jul 9th, 2006, 03:09 AM

There are local trains between Chamartin and Atocha, or you can go by metro.
It's always best to allow a big margin for connections of this sort. If you find you have time to spare, it may be possible to change the booking to an earlier train, otherwise have a coffe whilst waiting; if you don't allow enough time, the train from Paris is late and you miss the connection, you may find the next train is fully booked. Trains everywhere tend to be busy on Sunday afternoon and evening as people return from a weekend away.
Jul 9th, 2006, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice. We shall book the 12:00 AVE. If we get the tickets and for some reason do not make the train can we exchange for a later time?

Jul 9th, 2006, 04:28 AM

you will lose your tickets in normal circumstances. however, what i do not know is if you miss your connection due to a spanish rail late arrival if they are benevolent with that.

Jul 9th, 2006, 12:04 PM

You will possitively loose your tickets. You have enough time to make the 12.00. In renfe website you can see the trains occupancy. I do not think there shall be many people going to Seville at that time, but the booking offices are the same for every train. (Obviously, the Inmediate departure office opens just for that train).People going BACK to Seville shall be at 6PM or later.
I know of the underground connection, both stations ar indeed linked, and it takes no more than ten minutes.