Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Madrid to Sevilla (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/madrid-to-sevilla-999753/)

spanishsarah47 Dec 8th, 2013 12:46 PM

Madrid to Sevilla

I am flying into the airport in Madrid arriving in the afternoon, and I need transportation to Dos Hermanas, which is just south of Sevilla. Should I as a student who might be traveling alone take a bus or a train?

Robert2533 Dec 8th, 2013 01:22 PM

You can take the train from Madrid to Sevilla and make the connection heading south (12-14 minute train ride). The MD trains stop in Dos Hermanas as does the Cercanías, which may be the better option for you.

WomBatt Dec 8th, 2013 08:32 PM

It is unclear whether you want the route and schedules and how to accomplish the journey or you are fearful for your safety or your query is to do with budget or all three.

Robert2533 Dec 9th, 2013 06:38 PM

I think it's an issue of safety, which really shouldn't be an issue. Take the train, relax and enjoy the adventure of visiting the country.

worldinabag Dec 9th, 2013 08:48 PM

Hola

Take the high speed AVE train. Check out RENFE website.

spanishsarah47 Dec 10th, 2013 12:02 PM

Thank you very much, Robert2533, would I use the Renfe website, as worldinabag recommended or is there a separate website?

spanishsarah47 Dec 10th, 2013 12:14 PM

Robert2533, I'm sorry I misread your post. Yes of course it's on the renfe site - and it looks like the day that I need the train it goes from Madrid-Chamartin to Sevilla-Santa Justa. Does it matter very much which kind of ticket I purchase? Turista and Preferente are my options, each with 4 selections that are ascending in price. The first is Tarifa 4 Mesa, then Promo, then Promo +, then Flexible.

PalenQ Dec 10th, 2013 12:50 PM

Are discounted tickets changeable or refundable - if not leave plenty of fudge factor time for planes to be late or just plan on biting the bullet and paying full fare for the next available train if seats are available - check the conditions of discounted tickets.

Robert2533 Dec 10th, 2013 12:59 PM

I'd go with a Promo Plus ticket, Preferente class, if you want to spend a little more. It will give you access to the lounge in Madrid and the seating arrangement is better.

In some cases, Renfe gives you a pass for the Cercanías, but I'm not sure on that route. You'll have to check. If not, then you can buy your Cercanías ticket when you arrive in Sevilla.

spanishsarah47 Dec 11th, 2013 11:30 AM

Sounds good. My next question is about the safety of flying versus taking the Metro and the train. I found a flight that will get me from Madrid to Sevilla and that would be nice since I'll already be in the airport, no sweat. However it's more expensive. So, first I'd have to get from Barajas to the train station Puerta de Atocha. The Metro would be Barajas-Atocha Renfe, is it safe to carry my suitcase with me on the Metro and then onto the train?