Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Madrid/Seville Revised Plan (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/madrid-seville-revised-plan-358211/)

gtrekker2003 May 10th, 2008 08:37 PM

Madrid/Seville Revised Plan

So, I've had a reality check on my previous itinerary. I only have 6 nights/7 days.

I plan to just spend a day in Madrid to explore some neighbourhoods, plazas, cafes, etc. I am not interested in museums or cathedrals too much. I would like to spend most of my time in Seville/Andalucia, however, need some help on the best route to take. I will have approximately 5 nights and 6 days there, and will be relying on bus/train/transport.

I would like to see Seville, Arcos, Ronda, and maybe, Cadiz.

I was thinking of taking a bus from Seville to Arcos (spend the night), take another bus from Arcos to Ronda, and then back to Seville. And another day trip from Seville to Cadiz.

Is this possible? Or is there a better, more efficient route to take?

Thanks for the help.

Gtrekker2003

Cyberia May 11th, 2008 12:13 AM

If you are relying on public transport, much of your time will be spent travelling about so you are going to have to cut your itinery quite a bit. Maybe just Madrid and Seville?

If you are not interested in museums, art galleries, cathedrals and such that Madrid has to offer, why are you going there or other places in Spain? Surely there are some nice cafes and plazas near where you live?

kenderina May 11th, 2008 02:30 AM

Yes, now you have a much better itinerary (at least, according with the time you have). Now you have to search for schedules of buses, sometimes service is not as frequent between little villages.

Maybe someone here knows a bit more about that, I'm Spaniard but I've never been in the "Pueblos Blancos".

gtrekker2003 May 11th, 2008 06:30 AM

My flight is in and out of Madrid so I am stopping there for half a day.

blackduff May 11th, 2008 08:22 AM

gtrekker
I think you're missing out a lot by just passing Madrid heading towards Andalucia.

You mentioned Plazas, cafes, and nice neighbourhoods~they're in spades in Madrid.

During the summer period, there are cafe/bars along the Passeo Castellana. This is a wide road with parks on each side. There are lovely bar/cafes along this street and the music is different in each place. You can walk down one side, stop for a drink or coffee, and then continue and find another "sympa" cafe to stop again. I can't wait to get back to Madrid and spend an evening walking and enjoying the Madrid life.

You can jump onto the AVE and arrive in Sevilla within a few hours. Again, if you like cafes, plazas, and neighborhoods, this is a great place.

For the amount of time you have I would concentrate on these two cities. Arcos is fine but this isn't the same as Sevilla. Same for Ronda and even Cadiz. Forget the churches and monuments in Sevilla and enjoy this city in their best way of living. This city lives best at night.

Blackduff

gtrekker2003 May 11th, 2008 08:39 AM

Are Arcos and Ronda worthwhile? Or if you had to choose one over the other, which would it be? I will drop Cadiz off the agenda.

FrankS May 11th, 2008 01:53 PM

I think its possible.

The roads have improved in Spain. You can get all those in if you rent a car in Madrid and drive with an endpoint at another airport. From there catch a cheap one way ticket to Madrid the morning of your return flight.