Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Madrid, Seville, Granada and Barcelona, please critique my 2 week itinerary.

Old May 18th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never been to Spain and will be going for 2 weeks in October. Here is my proposed itinerary.

Oct 6: leave Miami, arrive in Madrid morning of Oct 7

Oct 7 : 5 nights in Madrid with a day trip to Toledo

Oct 12: 6 hour train ride to Granada, 3 nights in Granada

Oct 14: 2 ½ hour train ride to Seville, 3 nights in Seville

Oct 18: Fly Ibera airline to Barcelona, 4 nights in Barcelona, depart to Miami on Oct 22.

I like museums, walking, history. Any suggestions from those of you familiar with Spain?
Old May 18th, 2006, 08:13 AM

Hi InMiami
This is one of the first poster which gives a realistic schedule. I think it would work fine.

Certainly of the posters which will follow, there are great places to see. Certainly for starters, go to the Prado museum. Sorrollo is a great museum, if you like paintings. It's small and few people take the time. Plaza Major in Madrid has a lot of history, so don't miss this area.

In Sevilla has the barrio Sta.Cruz, the cathederal and the alcazar. There's a large park which has a beautiful building for Plaza España-this was filmed in "Lawrence of Arabia".

The most important about Sevilla is the nightlife and the people. Life starts after midnight, so take a siesta in the evening and head for the late hours.

Granada will interest you as well as Barcelona. Pace yourself but I think that you did a good schedule.

Blackduff
Old May 18th, 2006, 08:31 AM

Are you opposed to taking a cheap flight from Madrid to Granada and avoiding that long train ride?
Old May 18th, 2006, 11:31 AM

This is a great itinerary! The only thing I would say is that the train ride to Granada should not take 6 hours unless you are on the super slow line. I just searched it for the 12 on the renfe website and they say there are no direct trains, so if I were you I would fly down, as previously suggested, or switch out Granada and Sevilla, go there first, then to Granada, then fly Granada to Barcelona (to cut down on travel time).

In Madrid, I would do the Museum circuit: Prado, Reina Sofia, Thyssen. I have never seen the Sorollo. Go visit old Madrid (Plaza Mayor area) and people watch at la Puerta del Sol. Go out at night and have a blast, and remember that though the metro is really convenient, it doesn't let you see the city, which is a huge problem. Take buses, walk, or take cabs.

Sevilla- take in a Flamenco show. The bienal is going on until Oct. 15 and you should be able to see some great dancers and hear good music in a formal theatre, and also there will be stuff going on around the occasion. Here is the program:
http://tinyurl.com/hh5uy

In Granada, get your tickets to the Alhambra early and as it will be early fall, try to see the sunset from the mirador de san nicolas, which is a great view of the palace. Also, wander the city and enjoy its great variety. Definitely get drinks and tapas.

Barcelona- I have a pre-written list I like to send out, so if you e-mail me, I will send it along. It includes restaurants and attractions. And, as I will be there (I'm moving back in June), you are more than welcome to get in touch with me. Barcelona is a beatiful and artful walking city and you will really enjoy it.

Do you know where you are staying?
Old May 18th, 2006, 11:39 AM

And that train ride Granada to Seville will take a full three hours; bus is a bit faster.
Old May 19th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

I would really like to avoid the 6 hour train to Granada but it seems that is my only option. I don't think there is a plane from Madrid to Granada. You can fly to a nearby city but then you have to take a bus to Granada.

We have already bought our plane ticket from Seville to Barcelona so that is not changeable.

We have reservations at the Amadeus in Seville, the Macia Plaza in Granada, the Hotel Apsis Splendid in Barcelona and the Hostal Adriano in Madrid.
Old May 20th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old May 20th, 2006, 02:39 PM

InMiami- Well, your itin, then, seems set if you have already purchased tickets, so I guess the train ride to Granada is inevitable. It is actually not that bad (my dad and I did it once), and in October it won't be that hot (not that trains aren't air conditioned, but the summer sun is sooo hot!)

Your hotels look good, so kudos to you for great planning and a good grasp of what you want to get done!
Old May 21st, 2006, 01:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
You can pre-book your alhambra tickets on the official web-site; we went in the day and evening [you get a special flood-lit view of the best bits] and were really glad we did both as the numbers at night are strictly limited and you get a better view, plus a wonderful atmosphere. THere is a very nice hotel opposite, or if you prefer to stay in town ,there is a very convenient and frequent bus takes you from the main square right up to outside the Alhambra entrance. You'll love it.
Old May 21st, 2006, 03:27 AM

Iberia airlines flys direct from Madrid to Granada, I just did it a couple of days ago. 3 nights is too much in Granada. Toledo is the highlight of Madrid.
Old May 21st, 2006, 06:49 AM

The "Sorollo" doesn't exist It's the Sorolla House-Museum , it's a little museum in the house where Sorolla lived in Madrid (he was from Valencia and many of his paintings are in the San Pio V Museum in Valencia).
Old May 21st, 2006, 06:54 AM

Nice itinerary. If you switch Seville and Granada, you can take the high speed train from Madrid Atocha to Seville.

From Granada, you may be able to take a day trip to Cordoba, which is another very interesting Andalucian city.
Old May 21st, 2006, 07:46 AM

kenderina
"The "Sorollo" doesn't exist It's the Sorolla House-Museum , it's a little museum in the house where Sorolla lived in Madrid (he was from Valencia and many of his paintings are in the San Pio V Museum in Valencia)."

Here's another reference about the Sorollo museum.
http://www.frommers.com/destinations/madrid/A1341.html

It is the house of Sorollo, it's still a museum which shows some of his works.

I'm looking at a book about Sorollo-Zorn which was exhibited at the Museo Sorollo on 4 marzo-3 mayo de 1992. I didn't get to visit the museo but my wife did make to this place. It was 100 meters from my office in Madrid.

If this place has any portion of the paintings from Sorollo, it's worth the time visiting.

Blackduff
Old May 21st, 2006, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. The Iberia flight from Madrid to Granada is 130E, steep considering the weak dollar. The express train leaves at 11:35 PM, not very practical since it is not a sleeper. I have to look further.

Speaking of the weakening dollar (I just returned from Paris,Ugg!), I have found more reasonable hotels in some of the cities. The hotel Urquinaona in Barcelona is 95E and includes breakfast. The Abadia hotel in Granada has better reviews than the Macia Plaza which has been receiving some negative reviews on Tripadvisor.
Old May 21st, 2006, 01:23 PM

http://museosorolla.mcu.es/

a link from the ministry of culture to help you realize that kenderina was correcting the spelling.. which must be a TYPO in this book or wherever you are seeing that.

unless we are talking about another artist???.. it is Joaquin SOROLLA.
Old May 21st, 2006, 03:00 PM

Mea culpa!
I have written the name incorrectly two different ways. I started saying Sorrollo and then finally with Sorollo.

Agreed, it should have been written as Sorolla.

But, this is a special museum in Madrid and shouldn't missed.

Blackduff
Old May 21st, 2006, 04:04 PM

In Barcelona take time to appreciate several of Gaudi's works - and I mean appreciate, don't just scoot through in half an hour. Sagrada Familia is worth several hours, if you don't get vertigo you can climb right to the top of one of the towers. Parc Guell is wonderful if you get a good day (we had brilliant weather in October several years ago and the Pedrera is like no other building I've ever visited. The 1992 olympic stadium complex is impressive as long as you stay upwind of the WCs, Nou Camp stadium is homw to the newly crowned European soccer champions and twice champions of Spain. Some cities you'll be bored of after four nights. Barcelona, never.
Granada and Alhambra, laclaire's first posting is spot on.
Madrid, the three best known museums are the Prado, the Thuyssen and the Reina Sofia, depending on what kind of stuff you like you could spend time in any or all of them. For a complete contrast Parque Del Retiro gives some greenery near the city centre. Casa de Campo is a much bigger park just west of the city, gives some good views over Madrid. Some parts of the main road through the park are red light areas even during the day, you might want to avoid if this offends you.
Barcelona is a teriffic city to just wander around and people watch. I felt Madrid was just a bit more edgy, never felt in any danger but even close to the main tourist areas you wouldn't want to wander too far on your own.
Old May 26th, 2006, 12:09 PM

One thought you might consider: I think the Mezquita in Cordoba is one the most memorable visits in Spain. Consider Granada-Cordoba by bus and then take a few hours to see the Mezquita and the take the AVE on to Sevilla [45 min] or take the AVE from Sevilla to Cordoba and take in the Mezquita as a day trip.
Old May 31st, 2006, 06:47 AM

I will be in Madrid for 2 nts in early July. This is my first time. Would you recommend staying in Old Madrid or Chamberi-Chamartin Salamanca? Which would be better for only two days there?