Madrid, Seville, Granada and Barcelona

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a trip thru Spain by train. I have been researching and reading and re-reading reviews and Maribel's Guides. but I can still use some guidance.

Madrid - Catalonia las Cortes, Hotel Preciados or Hotel de las Letras
Seville - Las Casas de la Juderia
Granada - Room Mate Migulettes or AC Santa Paula or Villa Orinia
Barcelona - Hotel Majestic

We want comfortable accommodations, nice bathrooms, good breakfast, good service and quiet. We don't need to be in the center of the nightlife. we are more museum and daytime city wanderers than we are the nightclub crowd.

Should I have my Travel agent book the trains or should I try to do it myself? We want to go from Granada to Barcelona overnight in a deluxe sleeper car

Should we go from Seville to Granada by bus or train? We do NOT want to rent a car.

Thank you
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 11:48 AM

click on your name and you will see your other post.

I would scratch the granada aleep train, deluxe or not.

fly on a cheap flight.

you can book the trains yourself on www.renfe.es where you may be able to get a hefty discount. webfare, only on the webpage, but the estrella fare can be booked easily by phone if you have problems with the webpage. both fares are great savings.
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 11:49 AM
GBC

In Madrid we stayed at the Hotel Preciados in one of their junior suites. We liked it very much. Comfortable, helpful, good location. Convienent in the city but not right in the center. Free internet.

In Granada you might consider Carmen de la Alcubilla del Caracol. We had the room at the top which has a very special view. An unusual inn - we would not hesitate to return. Quiet, with excellent servic. A little distance to the town center but very near the Alhambra. See tripadvisor.com.
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

People on Trip Advisor keep writing about trouble with the RENFE website. I just clicked on and did not see an option for English. So for peace of mind it might be worth having my TA handle that for us
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 02:11 AM

www.seat61.com and www.maribelsguides.com have a tutorial for renfe.

it is quite easy once you know the names of the stations you are going to and dates. only can book usually 60 days in advance.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 03:35 AM

There is an option for some English on renfe.es. Bottom left corner at "Seleccione su idioma."
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

I tried and it only keeps the English for one page. So as soon as I clicked on the stations and dates it reverted back to Spanish. I think I will keep focusing (or obsessing) about the hotels and then when I am closer to the summer, I will decide what to do about the trains