Search

itinerary in Berner Oberland

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2009, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
itinerary in Berner Oberland

Hello, Fodorites!
I will be staying in Berner Oberland for 6 nights in June.
Which one of the two options below would be the best for covering most of the area in terms of hiking and sightseeing:

- 3 nights in Wengen and 3 nights in Murren
- 2 nights in Wengen, 2 nights in Murren and 2 nights in Lauterbrunnen (in any kind of order).

Thanks for you help!
Old May 1st, 2009, 10:27 AM

Hi PerfectStranger,

No need at all to move bases. Because every time you move bases you lose about half of a day, I only change bases if my destinations are more than two hours apart. These places are less than an hour apart. It will save you time and effort to make day-trips rather than to move.

s
Old May 1st, 2009, 10:44 AM

Agreed! We stayed in Grindelwald at Hotel Belvedere. We bought a pass that got us on all the gondolas, trains, cable cars, etc. and we hiked all over the place and got back to Grindelwald each night for a fabulous meal!

Spend your time hiking, not toting your luggage!
Old May 1st, 2009, 11:04 AM

Well, I will take the opposite view. We go for hiking and more hiking. There are hikes that start in Mürren, and hikes that start in Wengen and/or Grindelwald, and we like to be close to the traihead and not have to travel back after a long day's hike.

Also, there are places we love to stay in both villages, and I can never choose between them, so we do both.

So I would vote for 3 nights each in Wengen and Mürren. The transfer will take you 2 hours or less, and you'll still have the rest of the day for hiking (or use that day for visiting the Lauterbrunnen Valley, with your luggage stored in lockers at the train station before you head up to Mürren).
Old May 1st, 2009, 02:42 PM

Just add my twopennyworth I disagree with Enzian, for me part of the holiday is the rail or other form of transport journey to get my hike, walk or destination. It's a chance to read the route take stock and on the return journey wind down
Old May 2nd, 2009, 01:53 AM

I wouldn't move from one place to another in the Jungfrau region. It always takes a lot of time to pack/unpack, check out/in and dragging the luggage from one to the other is a hassle, too.

These places are so close to each other that you can easily stay in one all the time. Did that a few times there (and elsewhere).
Old May 2nd, 2009, 02:52 AM

I would recommend staying in Lauterbrunnen (and particularly Hotel Oberland - wonderful service and views) because it is so central to all the hikes and Wengen, Murren etc and direct from Interlaken. Have a wonderful time it is a magical place.
Old May 7th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your valuable replies! Although for practical reasons it would probably be better to use Lauterbrunnen as a base, I've decided to stay in both Wengen and Murren. I just like the accomodations there and the idea of being near the trails. Upon my return I will tell you if it in fact was a good choice.
Old May 7th, 2009, 03:52 PM

I wish you blue skies and lots of wildflowers.

do you need any hiking suggestions?
Old May 8th, 2009, 06:54 AM

I plan to do all the hiking as well.

Where do most hikes start from---Gimmelwald or Lauterbrunnen?

Also, how much does that pass (covers all train, cable car, etc.) cost?

Can someone direct me to the website that has all these transportation/fee information? I will be traveling with a europasss.

Thank you!
Old May 8th, 2009, 07:19 AM

Yes! I would love to have all the hiking recommendations possible. I am still debating btween Lauterbrunnen or Gimmelwald as my resting place.

Btw, would sneakers suffice or does one need hiking boots?
Old May 8th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your warm wishes, enzian!
Yes, of course I will be happy if you can give me some hiking suggestions.
Old May 8th, 2009, 02:13 PM

There are good lists of hikes in the Gimmelwald.Mürren side on the Gimmelwald websites:

http://www.gimmelwald.ch/en/activities/hiking.htm

I think # 4, up to Tanzbödeli, may be the nicest, but we haven't found a good day to do that one yet. You can do it as a shorter hike by separating out the Oberhornsee portion (which can be done separately, or as a downhill loop including Stechelberg, with a cablecar ride back up).

I would put those two at the top of my personal hiking recommendations.

Here is another list, including one (Chilchbalm aka Kilchbalm) that is not on the other list. This is a good shorter hike into th egorge belos Gimmelwald, away from Stechelberg. It is one that is OK even in light rain, assuming you have rain gear.

http://www.gimmelwald.com/hikes.html

One we have done that I don't see on either list is up to the Rotstockhütte, in the Sefinental. It's a nice place to stop for lunch in a remote valley below the Schilthorn. Parts of the path are muddy and well-fertilized (lots of cows).

Hikes from Wengen: if you want to start out right from the village, you can hike up the Münnlichen ridge that looms above town by either of 2 routes: (1) the gentler and wider path through forst and alps up to Kleine Scheidegg, or (2) the "Gemseweg" ("goat path") that zigzags right up the ridge to the top of the Männlichen cable car. You can combine these two in a loop with the familus Männlich to Kleine Scheidegg walk (an easy level walk) to link the two. (Note that the Gemseweg is for the surefooted with no fear of heights, at least if you take it downhill. We took one look over the edge and opted for the cablecar. Our excuse was that we needed to save some energy for the tennis court we had reserved.

I believe there is also a path from Wengen down to Trummelbach Falls but we haven't done that, and I don't have amy map handy.

The Tourist Info office in either village (Wengen or Mürren) should have maps and descriptions of the trails. They are well-marked and give the hiking time, rather than the actual distance, to the next stop.

Another good hike i nth earea, weel worth the train trip to wilderswill (between lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald) is the Panoramaweg from Schynige Platte to the First gondola in Grindelwald. You take the cogwheel train up SP, hike the ridgetop (it's long, maybe 14 km or so), detour to the Faulhorn hut for lunch if you like, and continue past the Bachalpsee to the First gondola. Ride that down to Grindelwald and take the train back home. (Be sure to check the closing time for the gondola and don't miss it: it stops running fairly early, like 5:30 pm. It's a LONG walk down if you miss it).

www.faulhorn.ch

On the Männlichne hike there are several options for a nice Rösti lunch or other refreshment.

Hikes starting in Lauterbrunnen, apart from the walk along the valley floor, will all start out with a stiff uphill climb---which most people avoid by using the cablecars for a boost up. That is one reason we like to stay up in the high villages.

Shoes vs. boots: that is a matter of individual choice. Some of the trails are paved, some hard-packed dirt (muddy when wet) and some are quite rocky. I always wear my hiking boots. My younger sister (age 50) wears trail runners. My husband wears Keen light hikers. The teenagers all wear regular running shoes---sneakers but with good tread. (The main problem with those is where it is wet or muddy, or places with lots of cow gifts).
Old May 8th, 2009, 04:21 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
We just returned from a two weeking hiking trip in Switzerland and we lived in our hiking boots.

Regarding enzian's comment < I believe there is also a path from Wengen down to Trummelbach Falls but we haven't done that, and I don't have amy map handy.>

I've done this hike and would only recommend it for experienced hikers. It's difficult and has many sheer drop offs (if you find yourself in Lauterbrunnen, look up at the sheer cliffs and imagine walking down from them). It's a strenuous mountain trail that leads over the falls and it's dicey under the best of conditions. We considered taking the hike again a few weeks back and the woman at the Lauterbrunnen tourist office looked alarmed when we suggested it.
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 03:41 AM

bk
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 04:14 AM

bk