Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Madrid or Milan (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/madrid-or-milan-1699068/)

Norbert Jul 31st, 2021 12:02 PM

Madrid or Milan

Hello please advise the difference and which city is more appealing to visit for a vacation. Thank you.

annhig Jul 31st, 2021 12:54 PM

goodness. That's a very broad question, Norbert. What made you choose Milan or Madrid? What have you heard/read about either of them which makes you think they will appeal? and when and for how long do you want to go? What do you like to do?

BritishCaicos Jul 31st, 2021 01:10 PM

Madrid is the capital city of Spain.
Milan is the capital of Lombardy.

I'm not being facetious but use those facts through to the impact this has on the social make up of each place.

Sassafrass Jul 31st, 2021 05:03 PM

If you are going be there for a week or so, consider what day trips you might do from each city and which of those would you most enjoy? Even consider if there is a nearby place you would want an overnight.

bilboburgler Aug 1st, 2021 04:49 AM

I'd ask about time of year and your interests.

So for football, both have good teams.
For art, both have great world class museums.
For users of public transport I think I might choose Milan
Also for great cemetries and canals I'd choose Milan
For outdoor theatre and opera I'd choose Madrid
For the best central old town I'd choose Madrid
Slalom canoeing I'd choose Madrid
Roller blading I think Madrid

Sassafrass Aug 1st, 2021 06:56 AM

You said visit or vacation. What do you like to do when you visit a city or country or on vacation? For me, that is two different things. I like walking, seeing interesting churches, museums, markets, etc, but on vacation I like reading, eating, walking on the beach, theater.

NastyaResh Aug 1st, 2021 08:57 AM

i would choose Milan because Il Duomo (Milan Cathedral) is my dream. Choose according to your interests.

Sassafrass Aug 1st, 2021 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by NastyaResh (Post 17268498)
i would choose Milan because Il Duomo (Milan Cathedral) is my dream. Choose according to your interests.

I would likely choose Madrid because the Cathedral in nearby Toledo is one of my favorites in the world and the Prado in Madrid is one of the great museums. I spend hours there on every trip.

annhig Aug 1st, 2021 11:39 AM

Sassafrass - in Madrid I would add the Sorolla house which for me is an utterly wonderful box of delights.

BritishCaicos Aug 1st, 2021 12:29 PM

I agree Ann, magical place.

Our Italian friends lived in "little Italy" in Madrid near the embassy. We found the Sorollo house by chance which is always the best way.

I spent 30 years wondering why anyone would want to go to Madrid and then was forced into a visit 3 years ago - probably my largest travel surprise of all. It's just such a confident, relaxed, partying town. Those Italian friends, who ironically have worked in Turin and Milan previously, think that Madrid's vibe comes from the fact that it over-taxes the other provinces and lives off that wealth. Who knows, we loved it.

I was so linguistically bombed out that trip, no idea whether the next cafe would be Italian or Spanish speaking or a mix of the two. The area around the Italian embassy in Madrid is very Italian.

Sassafrass Aug 1st, 2021 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by annhig (Post 17268555)
Sassafrass - in Madrid I would add the Sorolla house which for me is an utterly wonderful box of delights.

Now, another reason to return. I have been to Spain four times, Madrid twice. It was one of the last countries I went to in Europe. It should have been one of the first because it was a big wow for me. The only place I really wanted to see was Toledo, but ended up loving the Prado, Granada, the Coast, the olive groves, sunflowers and markets and the people I met. Pretty much everything.
OTOH, Italy is overwhelmingly beautiful with great food. Near Milan there are the Lakes and lovely smaller towns, which are, IMHO, Italy’s real charm.

StuDudley Aug 1st, 2021 04:56 PM

If you are a huge architecture fan and love high-end dining - Madrid would be my recommendation. Like BritishCiacos, we were overwhelmed with Madrid (visited it twice), and underwhelmed with Milan (except for the cathedral). High end fashion (Milan) has no appeal for us.

https://stududley.shutterfly.com/41

Click "full screen"

Stu Dudley

annhig Aug 2nd, 2021 01:21 AM

<<If you are a huge architecture fan and love high-end dining - Madrid would be my recommendation. Like BritishCiacos, we were overwhelmed with Madrid (visited it twice), and underwhelmed with Milan (except for the cathedral). High end fashion (Milan) has no appeal for us.>>

I'm not sure that I would describe what i like as "high end" dining exactly, Stu, but certainly the standard of food in Madrid [and Toledo] was excellent and if you use the "open Table' app can be obtained at very reasonable prices especially at lunchtime, if you take advantage of the menu de dia which is already a bargain. And of course it's possible to have a meal of delicious tapas for a very reasonable cost.

<<Now, another reason to return. I have been to Spain four times, Madrid twice. It was one of the last countries I went to in Europe. It should have been one of the first because it was a big wow for me. The only place I really wanted to see was Toledo, but ended up loving the Prado, Granada, the Coast, the olive groves, sunflowers and markets and the people I met. Pretty much everything. >>

On my last visit to Madrid, Sassafrass, I went nowhere near the "top three" museums but as well as seeng the temporary Leonardo exhibition, I went to the Sorolla house, the Museum of Romanticism, the Real Monasterio de las Descalzas Reales, [temp. closed I think] as well as spending a night in Toledo. Loads of others I still haven't seen, mostly in historically interesting buildings too. And as Stu says the overall architecture of Madrid is extremely impressive.

lrice Aug 4th, 2021 06:39 AM

Following along as Madrid is on our list for 2022 for 3 days : the Prado, old city center, architecture, Royal Palace. Then we were thinking about heading to Malaga or Seville for 2 nights for a taste of southern Spain before we go to Lisbon but will look at Toledo instead!

annhig Aug 4th, 2021 08:27 AM

<<Following along as Madrid is on our list for 2022 for 3 days : the Prado, old city center, architecture, Royal Palace. Then we were thinking about heading to Malaga or Seville for 2 nights for a taste of southern Spain before we go to Lisbon but will look at Toledo instead!>>

Irice - IMO with only 2 nights Toledo would be a much better fit with Madrid - it's about an hour on the train so you could be there and booked into your hotel in time for a late ie Spanish normal time lunch whereas getting to Seville or Malaga would take you most of a day. Also either of them really requires at least 3 nights if not longer whereas Toledo fits into a 1˝ day itinerary perfectly.

Sassafrass Aug 4th, 2021 08:29 AM

Lice, cut a day from Madrid. Go to Toledo for at least one night, and go to Seville for your taste of Southern Spain. It is magical.

StuDudley Aug 4th, 2021 08:32 AM

Agree with annhig. Toledo is a much better complement to Madrid.

Stu Dudley

maitaitom Aug 4th, 2021 09:50 AM

Toledo turned out to be our favorite town in Spain, and we loved them all.

On another note, Milan is so much more than just the Duomo. An interesting city to explore.