Reload this Page >

Madrid or Barcelona for 5 days?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 02:24 PM
nina

Hi! We're thinking of going to Spain for a long weekend the first week of November for a short stay. It's been nearly 30 years since I've visited as a school child so I'm pretty fuzzy on the differences between the cities, which has more charm, more authentically "Spanish", more culture and more venues for nearby side-trips.<BR><BR>Can anyone help out? We really don't have time to do both, and I'd love to visit the most interesting of the 2. Also, any opportunities for winery visits near either city?<BR><BR>Thank you,<BR>Nina

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 03:16 PM
lori

Barcelona is more interesting, the daytrips from Madrid are more interesting and accessible. As alway, depends on what you want. Some way Barcelona is not "authentically Spanish" - Catalunya has more in common with Provence and the language is more like Provencal than it like Spanish -- to me, that's a plus. Madrid has some world class museums that Barcelona does not and it's near Toledo, Segovia, etc. We even made a daytrip to Seville on the Ave. Still, for my money -- I'd go to Barcelona.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 08:18 PM
Graziella

I love Lori ´s answer, it is like do you prefer chocolate or stawberries...it is awful personal.<BR>I am not sure but I guess most wineries are in La Rioja, but in both places you can drink a lot of them. buen viaje.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 01:16 AM
Davidx

I have made a number of folders of notes on Spain and I will send any relevant ones if you let me have an e-mail address.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 05:29 AM
rob

i found barcelona to be more "vibrant" then madrid......the marina area; gaudi buildings and park; las ramblas, etc...<BR><BR>the only thing i liked about madrid was the day trips we took to toledo & segovia.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 05:44 AM
Sue

Sorry to piggy-back on a post...<BR><BR>David, would you be willing to share your info? I am planning a trip in October, and am trying to assemble as much info as I can! (Maribel was kind enough to share her files with me.)<BR>Below, I listed our itinerary.<BR>Thanks so much for any assistance you can lend!<BR>-Sue<BR><BR>Madrid, day trip to Toledo, Cordoba, Granada, Seville, Jerez, Barcelona

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 08:08 AM
Teresa

Barcelona, by far!