Madrid Hotels: Hotel Preciados or Hotel Urban next July

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2011, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a mature (late 50's) couple from LA who could use some help choosing a hotel next July in Madrid. (Then on to Seville-Granada-Barcelona.) Would prefer using Amex points for the Westin Palace but, inexplicably, points are not being acepted at this time...perhaps it's too soon. With so many hotels getting high accolades from the various sources; Trip Advisor, Fodors, and Maribel's Guide, we are getting somewhat overwhelmed. For some reason we have narrowed it done to Hotel Preciados and the Urban. Both locations seem like areas we would enjoy and the hotels have comfortable amenities. I would like to keep the rate to under $300 per night. We welcome your kind assistance on selecting a hotel and the "right" room.
Old Oct 1st, 2011, 05:07 PM

I presume you are aware that July is a very hot time in Spain.

I have stayed in Hotel Preciados. As the reviews indicated, it is a nice hotel -- high on Tripadvisor list also. But so is Urban. The latter is closer to three key museums.

Your itinerary is a classic loop. I presume you are doing a multi-city flight into Madrid, out of Barcelona or vice versa.
Old Oct 1st, 2011, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Yes, Greg. I understand July is extremely hot but my wife is a teacher and we are limited as to when can travel.

We are planning to fly into Madrid (3 nights); train to Seville (3 nights); train to Granada (2 nights); fly to Barcelona (4 nights), then depart BCN.

How was your experience at Hotel Preciados? I haven't read too many negatives.
Old Oct 1st, 2011, 05:56 PM

No comparison-Hotel Urban is wonderful w/pool in downtown Madrid!Hotel Preciados is near the Puerta del Sol in the middle of lots of shops and people,people, people!
If you can hold out for a while,see if you can indeed get into the Palace but otherwise the Urban is just jaw dropping-the views from the rooftop are wonderful!!
Old Oct 1st, 2011, 06:00 PM

Be prepared/warned!You will find Madrid hot-but nothing will/can prepare you for the heat in Sevilla/Granada!
Just get an early start,walk in the shade and yes,drink lots of water!
Old Oct 1st, 2011, 07:54 PM

July is cooler than August, proving it's all relative. Madrid isn't that much different than LA in July, only with better food and museums. I would go with the Hotel Preciados vs the Urban. The "rooftop pool" at the Urban is hardly that, more for soaking your feet after a hard day of shopping then going for a swim.
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 12:31 AM

I found the Hotel Preciados very comfortable and in a good area - on a pedestrian street - so not too noisy at all. Very close to main shopping and restaurant street. Our room was large enough, beds were fine, very clean. And staff were wonderfully helpful and courteous.