Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Madrid Hotels - Do you know these Madrid Hotels?

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 11:55 AM
Jackie

Hi

I'm narrowing my 'hotlist' down and now have the following left - can anyone kindly advise if you have stayed at any of the hotels mentioned below:

Carlos V
Hotel Opera
Hotel Santa Domingo
Hotel Tryp Ambassador
Hotel Tryp reina Victoria

I really would appreciate your guidance!

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 12:19 PM
Jessica

We stayed at the Reina Victoria almost 2 years ago. The location was great but the quality of rooms varied. They were in the middle of renovating the hotel so I would suspect improvements have been made. We moved to a room with a balcony which was very nice. If you can specify a room with a balcony I would recommend.

Good luck.

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 12:54 PM
mary lewis

We stayed at the Carlos V last march for 3 nights. The room size was good with a large bathroom. The breakfast (included) was more than adequate and served in a beautiful little bar area. Our room was towards the back - in fact our only window faced over the rooftop where the mechanicals were - but it was extremely quiet and dark - made for great sleeping! The location of the hotel in general was fantastic - near El Corte Ingles and Puerta del Sol - could walk tons of places or get to the metro quickly.

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 01:23 PM
Erin

I stayed at the Tryp Ambassador in 1996. Back then it was a great hotel in a really good location. You could easily walk to many of the major sites. We were in a triple room and it was one of the largest I'd ever been in (in Europe).

Also, the parent company of Tryp hotels is the Melia chain. This is a good chain (I've stayed in 3 Melia hotels), so pretty much all of their hotels should rank from good to great. Good Luck.

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 05:24 PM
trippy

Tryp hotels get alot of complaints at the Spanish Tourist office.A few years ago, Best Western and Bass(British )bought many hotels in Europe.They are far superior to the image we have of them in the USA Same goes for Holiday Inn-much better in Europe
I remember when Carlos V was Spanish and then when it became part of Best Western it just got better,especially when the street in front became a pedestrian mall-try to get those rooms w/balconies for people watching.Also have a good breakfast buffet and tne best shuttle to airport!