Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Madrid - Hotel Opera (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/madrid-hotel-opera-127132/)

Donna May 30th, 2001 02:52 PM

Madrid - Hotel Opera

Has anyone ever stayed at the Hotel Opera in Madrid? Need help for reservations quick!

x May 30th, 2001 04:45 PM

what kind of help you need? Their e-mail so you can make reservations? References so you can make a desicion? A translator who would contact them for you? What's up with the hurry?

Maribel May 31st, 2001 04:24 PM

Donna, <BR>Although I haven't stayed at the Opera, last summer I took a "tour" to get an inside look-the manager showed me around, and I got a peek at a standard double rm (all doubles have twin beds that can be pushed together) and all are exterior rms facing the street, but it's a narrow, one-way side street right off the Plaza de Oriente, Madrid's prettiest square, (particularly lovely at night) and a stone's throw away from the Teatro Real (Royal Opera House) and the Royal Palace, a handy metro stop, plus many great restaurants and tapas bars (like Cafe del Oriente, Taberna del Alabardero, Casa Marta, La Bola and El Buey), plus within easy walking distance of all the atmospheric taverns and wine bars of the Cava Baja off the Plaza Mayor. It's located right below the more "ornate" and expensive Tryp Ambassador, but I believe the Opera is overall a better value. The added plus is that the street is fairly quiet for Madrid. I've recommended the hotel to several people who have been pleased. It's very popular (due in part to continued recs from the NY Times), it has no lobby to speak of, just a front desk with English speaking staff and plenty of brochures/info on Madrid at hand, but a short flight of steps leads to the public rms done in a kind of British Hunt/Polo theme-pretty and soothing. Pleasant brk rm. Rooms seemed attractive and up to date with sat. TV, safes, sparking, modern baths with h. dryer. It's also adjacent to the Cafe de la Opera, for snacks and meals at all hrs., plus singing waiters. There's no weekend rate, but in July/Aug. it accepts Bancotel and Halcon Viajes coupons when not full. <BR>I believe they might have shuttle service to Barajas airport as well. You can check the rates at <BR>www.hotelopera.com It's a Best Western, so you may want to check also the B.W. rates through their #800 or at www.bestwestern.com <BR>I believe rates include brk and VAT. <BR>If I were in need of a nice, small, good value, handy hotel in Old Madrid, the Opera would be my first choice. <BR>

amsdon Mar 16th, 2007 06:53 AM

Looking for a more recent report on Hotel Opera...anyone been there lately?

Thanks
ana maria

annhig Mar 16th, 2007 07:03 AM

Hi, donna,

if you search on my name/madrid, you'll find my recent trip report for Madrid, where by co-incidence we stayed at the hotel opera!

for the price it was fine - nice location, reasonably quiet [except saturday night but this is madrid], good bathroom. the breakfast was extra [11e from memory] and not brilliant, but as Maribel says, there is the attached cafe where you can get fresh orange juice, croissants and coffee for about 5E.

good luck!

regards, ann

annhig Mar 16th, 2007 07:05 AM

oops -

just saw the date line on this -

ana maria, why didn't you search the forum first??

regards, ann

amsdon Mar 16th, 2007 08:39 PM

Ann I did a hasty search I guess I'm not so up on my computer techniques to be honest.

In any case your info is helpful. I will look for your trip report now thanks again.

ana maria

annhig Mar 17th, 2007 03:05 AM

hi, ana maria,

sorry to have been a bit terse. I was really cross with myself for not spotting the dateline of the original posting.

IMO you would have got a better response by starting a new thread.

When you've had a look at my trip report, why not come back to me with any questions you've got on that thread, as it's relatively recent.

regards, ann

Mo_G Mar 17th, 2007 08:25 AM

Would you advise the Hotel Opera if we only have a few hours in Madrid? We arrive to Barajas around 10:30pm and then have a 1:30 departure the following day for our return to the states. Thanks!

kenderina Mar 17th, 2007 11:38 AM

I wouldn't advise to go to the city centre with two little kids... looks too much hassle for a very little profit. Just stay near the airport, let the kids sleep as much as they want, have an early lunch-late breakfast and take it easy :) I don't know which airline are you flying, but in any case it is not advisable you get to the airport later than 11 AM for a 13 PM flight, Barajas is very busy.