Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Madrid, Hotel Arosa, any info? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/madrid-hotel-arosa-any-info-55161/)

ken Oct 18th, 1999 05:14 PM

Madrid, Hotel Arosa, any info?

I have had significan trouble getting <BR>responses from Madrid or Sevilla hotels <BR>via email. The hotel Arosa in Madrid was <BR>very gracious in their response. I cannot <BR>find much info about it....anyone with <BR>input would be appreciated. <BR>Thanks. <BR>Ken

Michael Oct 18th, 1999 07:35 PM

<BR>Stayed at the Arosa two years ago. It is in the dead center of the city on the Gran Via, close to the "golden triangle" of museums on one side and close to the old main square on the other side. I remember trying to communicate to a pharmacist that I desired earplugs--if you don't want to stay out as late as the people there do, then the street noise might be a problem as it was for me. Another unpleasant memory is the Tang-like beverage that was served for breakfast and passed off as orange juice. Otherwise,the room facilities seemed fine. After the trip, I heard rave reviews about another Madrid hotel that seemed to have more quiet and better breakfast: the Tryp Ambassador. It's supposed to be on a quiet side street near the royal palace--in a city that is quite compact. Enjoy your trip.

topper Feb 16th, 2000 01:50 AM

Patrick?

Patrick Feb 16th, 2000 01:16 PM

The hotel does have a web site. I don't have exact web page but I got to it through the web site in fodors. It is in an old modernised building and seems to hve a lot of fcailities- cable and satellite tv., restaurant, coffee shop etc. We got it through a travel agent. I hope that it isn't to noisy as indicated by another respondent- the web site says sound proofed room.

becks Mar 1st, 2000 01:49 PM

We will be staying at the hotel arosa in 15 days. Are there good restaurants nearby, that are into meat not seafood? i got the name of one from fodors, called casa Paco. does anybody have anything on that one?

Maribel Mar 1st, 2000 03:00 PM

Becks, <BR>"Casa Paco",a nicely preserved old-time tavern at Puerta Cerrada #11, is a Madrid classic for steaks (chuleton de buey).From the Plaza Mayor pass through the Arco de Cuchilleros and down the steps, pass Sobrinos de Botin (home of roast lamb and suckling pig and a Hemingway favorite),continue to the square and turn left and look for the bright red/gold/green exterior- always crowded so reserve ahead. Also "El Buey" at Plaza de la Marina Espanola #1(near the Palacio Real/Teatro Real and across from the Senate), is noted for great fillet ("cebon"),excellent house Rioja/Ribera del Duero red wines and homemade desserts. Both are extremely popular among Madrid carnivores and reasonably priced. Also near "El Buey" (up Guillermo Roland to the corner of Bola-with red facade) you'll find "La Bola" another tavern ("tasca") opened in 1800 as a wine shop and in the same family for six generations. The veteran waiters will regale you with stories about Ava Gardner and her many matador companions who frequented the restaurant in the fifties. It's speciality is the madrilenos' favorite dish, "cocido" (a sort of pot-au-feu served in 3 courses- very, very filling). At Calle Mayor #84 you'll find another Madrid institution, "Casa Ciriaco" (a favorite of Prince Felipe). It's noted for its "gallina en pepitoria", chicken in a wine and almond sauce and is also a bullfighters' hangout. <BR>I've posted other favorites of ours on the Casa Imperial/Palace Hotel thread. <BR>Happy dining!

Edson Mar 1st, 2000 04:11 PM

ken, <BR>You can find info about Hotel Arosa at BestWestern web site: www.bestwestern.com. You can even make your reservation on-line, as I did. Two years ago I've stayed there for one night and it was quite nice. No problems about noise, since I've got a room in the back. My travel agent had booked another hotel (Gran Versalles) for the rest of the week, but it had no room available for the day of my arrival; that's why I had to stay the first night at Hotel Arosa. I liked the Gran Versalles very much, specially for being located at a quiet residential area, close to the metro. If you would like to take a look, try www.hotelgranversalles.es