Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

GUY18 NOT DRIVING IN ENGLAND ON DAY 1! Now he has some questions for Manchester/Lakes experts

Search

GUY18 NOT DRIVING IN ENGLAND ON DAY 1! Now he has some questions for Manchester/Lakes experts

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, so you guys got through to me. Better to err on the side of caution.

I've decided to, upon arrival, use the train to get into central Manchester and then spend the night at an airport hotel. I'll get my rental car at 7 a.m. and head to Ambleside on day 2 (Sunday morning, fully rested ) and, presumably, fighting lighter traffic than Saturday midday. I'll spend Sunday in Ambleside and get to Dentdale on Sunday evening.

Now for some questions:

Does anyone know the Holiday Inn Manchester Airport? It is in Wilmslow. How convenient is this to the terminals? It is cheaper than the Bewley's that I had booked for prior to my flight home, but, unlike Bewley's, it has no information about how accessible it is to the terminals. Based on the answers, I will probably change either to all Bewleys or all Holiday Inn. I'd like to save $40 a night, but not if it's going to be a hassle getting to my hotel.

Do I need to do any planning for my trains from the airport to central Manchester and back? Other than printing travel times?

Now that I won't have a hotel in Ambleside, are there any recommendations for parking. I know that I plan to visit Rydal Mount, have a meal at Lucy's (anyone know it?) and do a short hike.

Finally, any recommendations for Manchester? I love art (traditional preferred), antiques, churches, funky neighborhoods, vegetarian/ethnic food. Nothing related to science or industry please. Also, I see the Holiday Inn I mentioned brags about being close to Quarry Bank Mill, so if anyone knows of that, feel free to comment. My flight arrives at 10 a.m., by the way, so I'll have many hours to explore.

Thanks once again to all who helped to bring this saga to a close! Everyone's input has been greatly valued.
Old May 13th, 2006, 08:52 AM

Good morning Guy! I can't help you regarding your questions as I have never been to GB but I just wanted to say that I sure think you have made a very good decision! I was cringing reading about those roundabouts etc, on your other thread lol. Have a beautiful trip!

Old May 13th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, LoveItaly!

A general question about Manchester: How spread out is it? Let's say that I want to go to St. Ann's Church on St. Ann St., Manchester Cathedral on Victoria St., Earth Cafe on Turner St., The Basement restaurant on Lever St., The Whitworth Art Gallery on Oxford Rd., and the Blyth Gallery on Brazil St., are we talking about lots of cabs or walking or something else?

Are there one or two neighborhoods that would give me everything I'm looking for so that I'm not racing all over the city? Or is the city small enough that that isn't a concern?

Also, any comments on the above attractions would be welcome.
Old May 13th, 2006, 10:55 AM

I've never been in Manchester, but I have this website maybe for a visit in the future (one never knows !!) , maybe you find it useful for walks and the spread of the city:

http://www.visitmanchester.com/
Old May 13th, 2006, 11:18 AM

Guy

Glad to hear I don't have to put you up for the night ;-)

The Holiday Inn is not actually at the airport, it's a couple of miles away and will probably cost you around £7 each way by taxi. So it's still cheaper than Bewleys, but a lot less convenient and you won't be able to get a train straight into Manchester city centre from there - it's another taxi ride, or a long walk, to the nearest station.

Quarry Bank Mill is an old mill and village that has been converted into a local tourist attraction. It's a nice place to while away a couple of hours, but on such a short visit I think your time would probably be better spent in the city.

If you stay at the airport, you don't need to worry about planning train times. Trains from the airport to and from Oxford Road run about every 10 minutes until around 10pm, when they are about every half hour.

The places you want to visit are fairly close together and easily walkable if you plan the order in which you visit them, or you could get a day pass (Metromax ticket) for the Metrolink (Manchester's tram system).

I'd also suggest a visit to Salford Quays (about 10 minutes from the city centre on the tram), where some of the main attractions are the Lowry Art Gallery, the Imperial War Museum and the Theatre of Dreams, aka Manchester United's Old Trafford stadium.

Old May 13th, 2006, 11:33 AM

Oh, yes Ambleside parking. There's a big carpark in the centre of Ambleside - just follow the signs - but it does get quite full at weekends in summer. If you can't get in there, drive back towards Windermere and try parking on Hayes Garden World car park (which has the advantage of being free!)
Old May 13th, 2006, 11:37 AM

Guy, I read the other post too. You are probably making a sensible decision, but when we Brits travel to the US, we get in a car we have hired at the airports and off we drive, on what is the wrong side for us, in an unfamiliar vehicle on strange roads in strange cities with dodgy junction procedures.

And on our return home, after an overnight flight, we arrive jetlagged, without adrenalin-fuelled anticipation to get us through those first few hours, depressed at our holiday being over, accustomed to driving on the 'right' side of the road, and what do we do?

We get the bus to the carpark, get in our cars and have to get used to being back on the left, gearstick being on the other side, and then negotiate our way back to the motorway without going the wrong way round the airport roundabouts, and then drive (trying hard not to pull out into the inside lane to overtake!) for 2-3 hours to get back home.

Maybe I should have puut this on the other thread to encourage you!

But I hope you have a great trip anyway. You are going too far north for me to have been able to reply to your posts/offer you any advice, but if you return to the UK and come south, maybe I can help out a little.

Looking forward to your trip report!
Old May 13th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, kenderina and Xenos. Julia, I was wondering the same thing, "Where were you when I was getting hammered on the other thread?!!" Actually, I appreciate everyone, including those urging caution. And now I'm excited about discovering Mancester!
Old May 13th, 2006, 01:45 PM

Julia_t, when brits cross the Atlantic to North America they do so by day and have not had a sleepless NIGHT on the plane. When they go home overnight they are on HOME territory where everything is normal. Driving in the UK demands more of the driver than in North America. Our roads are generally wider and less crowded. Another thing is that experience counts in this game. My first few days driving in the UK were very stressfull. Now that I have accumulated about five weeks driving in the UK it has become much easier. This is Guy18's first time. Total inexperience and sleep deprivation are a bad combination. The prudent decision was made.
Old May 13th, 2006, 01:53 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Hooray

You made the right choice. And if by chance you do feel good - you'll be able to enjoy Manchester even more.

Do get an early start on Sunday - if the agency opens at 0700 be there by then. Then your drive up to the Lakes will be a piece of cake since (in general) Brits don't tend get started at 0'dark thirty like many Americans do. And getting to Ambleside early on a Sundy morning you shouldn't have a problem finding parking.

I really can't help much re Manchester - I've only been through, never stayed in. But it looks like Xenos has all the info you need.
Old May 13th, 2006, 01:55 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
ps: Who says brow beating doesn't work????
Old May 13th, 2006, 02:34 PM

Hi ...

What you plannning to do in the Lakes/Dentdale?

Mark
Old May 13th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Hi Mark,

Lots of walking, mainly. Rydal Mount. Books in Sedbergh. Newby Hall Gardens. Pubs in the evening. Stuff like that.

Why? Any suggestions?
Old May 13th, 2006, 03:32 PM

Most of the stuff you've listed to see in Manchester is walkable. The city centre itself is fairly compact. The Whitworth Gallery is a little further away, at the south end of the universities, perhaps 30 minutes walk or a short cab ride. Carry on half a mile further down the road and you get to Rusholme, which prove more than adequate for your request for ethnic food (dozens of curry houses).

You might want to head out to the Lowry Centre, easiest reached by tram, which has a huge collection of (guess what) Lowry paintings. (On rereading other posts, I see someone else already suggested this.)
Old May 14th, 2006, 07:32 AM

Hi ...

I'll think about it - sure I can come up some with recommendations - depends how much walking you've done.

Mark
Old May 15th, 2006, 12:15 AM

Manchester has some fantastic unspoilt pubs. I suggest lunch at either Sam's Chop House or Mr Thomas's Chop House (grand old Victorian pubs), and later an evening pub crawl to as many of the following as you fancy :

the Circus (tiny, v. friendly), next door the Greyhound or the Grey Horse, the Old Wellington, Sinclair's Oyster Bar (the last 2 v. old but were reconstructed on a different site following the 1996 bombing), Peveril of the Peak (excellent, if smoky, tiled bar), the Rain Bar (not old but frequently local CAMRA pub of the year, lots of good beers and a beer garden with heaters), the Lass o'Gowrie (again, not old, but good for beer).

Then dinner in Chinatown - the Yang Sing is an institution & is good (also vg for dim sum during the afternoon).

Or dim sum for lunch, & dinner at Sam's Chop House ? Decisions, decisions !

Afternoon tea at the Lowry hotel if you can squeeze it in too

I enjoyed the Whitworth Art Galley & the tour of the Lowry centre - c.11am I think. Also several other private galleries on & around Portland Street, but they were more contemporary art.
Old May 15th, 2006, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

Mark--I've walked as much as 8 miles in a day, if this helps.

Caroline--I'm not sure a chop house will be my cup of tea, as I don't eat meat. But the Yang Sing sounds terrific!

owain-Rusholm for curry is something to definitely consider.

Maybe I need MORE days in Manchester!
Old May 15th, 2006, 04:04 AM

Guy - are you still planning on staying in the Holiday Inn?

On the plus side they have complimentary transport to/from the airport and it's not far to the airport.

On the downside, while technically it is in Wilmslow, it is on the airport side of the town which is not all that convenient for getting into Manchester on public transport.

From what you say, you probably wouldn't enjoy spending much time in Wilmslow. It's a nice town but is geared mainly to (very wealthy) Manchester commuters. Given its proximity to the city, it's surprising how far removed it feels from many of Manchester's inner city neighbourhoods.
Old May 15th, 2006, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

Where2--Per Xenos' advice, I've book at Bewley's for the night of my arrival and for my departure.

I realize that staying in the Center of Manchester would normally be a better plan, but, since I rent a car from the airport after my 1 day in town, I figure it's best to sleep at an airport hotel and get to the rental agency bright and early. It also means I can drop my luggage off at the hotel and not lug it into the city with me.

Do you think I'd be better off staying elsewhere?
Old May 15th, 2006, 04:46 AM

Sam's & Mr Thomas's Chop Houses are just names, they do other stuff. Although the steak & kidney pussing at Sam's is ace Not sure I remember seeing actual chops on the menus

We were disappointed the one time we went to the Curry Mile, but we probably just chose badly.

In case you change your mind & decide to stay in the city centre - we've rented cars from Easycar right in the centre of Manchester (near Piccadilly station) before & found them very reasonable. But I suppose you want to drop it off at the airport at the end ? Not sure if they have an airport office.

Did you realise there's a railway station at the airport ? If you stay at an airport hotel right at the airport, I imagine you'd be able to get a train back from the city centre pretty late.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -