Madrid, Granada, and Seville

Jan 7th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Madrid, Granada, and Seville

Here is our revised and probable final itinerary.

Feb. 27- leave USA
Feb. 28- Arrive 10:00 Madrid. Pick up rental car and drive to Granada.
Feb. 28-March 1- Granada.
March 2-5- Seville
March 6-9- Madrid. Depart for states at 13:00.

Trains for three would cost $900 and there really is not as much flexibility to go the less traveled path in a train.
A midsized rental car will cost about $500.00 and gasoline will be under $200.00 (according to Michelin). Also I do not mind parking a car and walking a few blocks in beautiful places.
I virtually never drive in any large European city except to travel to other places and when returning the car to the airport. I just prefer the opportunity and freedom that a car provides.

So this is my plan and I know virtually all say not to drive after a Trans Atlantic flight, but we are going to do it. We will arrive in Granada about 17:00 which will give us plenty of time to rest for Granada the next day and a half.

The revisions are all because of helpful and wise advice from you guys. No Lisbon, 2 days in Granada, 3 days in Madrid, and 4 days in Seville from whence we might well go to Cadiz for a day and Carmona for a few hours.

Any additional feedback with this itinerary in mind will be appreciated and helpful. Thanks again.
Jan 8th, 2010, 12:08 PM

We just returned from a Madrid, Malaga, Granada trip. Driving was easy, roads are well marked and scenery is beautiful. Parking in Granada wasvery simple at Alhambra, and in every city we drove into we just followed the blue parking signs. No problems. You'll love it. On our way down from Madrid, we had lunch at the castillo/parador above Jaen. Worthwhile in every way. Enjoy!
Jan 10th, 2010, 12:45 AM

good for you. people fret too much about driving after flying. if you're tired, you stop, have a coffee, have something to eat, have a ewalk, a sleep - it's all obvious stuff. and it's not a long drive. also, wouldn't bother heading far off the route on hte way to granada. yes there are lovely places to see, but why not just get to granada asap. for eating, there are m/way stops and ventas along the way. food may be a bit basic but it's nutritious and hearty and will give you a good intro to what spanish eat...
glad you ignored all the horror stories about parking in cities too.
Jan 10th, 2010, 02:20 AM

hi, MM,

my hotel recommendatino for Granada is the guadelupe - I've recommended it a no. of times here and no-one has complained yet. its main advantage is its position - right opposite the alhambra, with a discount offered on parking in the huge alhambra carpark opposite. it's easy to find - just follow the signs to the alhambra when you hit granada and the route takes you round the ring-road so you miss the centre - a big advantage. it's also well-priced, with nice sized rooms [at least ours was] and a reasonable restaurant.

you can walk down into the town in about 10 minutes, and to get back up, the bus goes from the square at least up til midnight.

don't forget to book your alhambra tickets before you go. I would strongly recommend booking for both day and night visits; the sight of the nasrid palaces all lit up at night is very special.

have a great trip

regards, ann
Jan 11th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to you all for your support and suggestions. Jonijam I will make note of castillo/parador above Jaen and I appreciate the report about driving, scenery, and parking. Thanks portuense for your encouragement and annhig I will definitely look into your hotel/parking suggestions as well as day and night alhambra bookings.
Jan 11th, 2010, 11:44 AM

hi MM,

have a great trip and come back and tell us what it was like!
Jan 14th, 2010, 08:34 PM

A couple years ago we took a train from
Madrid to Jaen, it was very inexpensive because it was no AVE but it was just fine and took a couple of hours. We bought 2 nd
class it was just fine. ( aprox 20 euros per person) Arriving in Jaen we rented a car I remember from Avis, a short taxi drive from the station, from there we drove to the Jaen Parador which is very nice as Jonijam poitns out. Then the following days we drove all over to several places ending up in Seville. We returned the car, stayed there a few days and took the AVE to Madrid. I thought it was really good, avoiding both the departure and arrival to Madrid and giving us flexibility in between. Good luck.