Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Madrid for 10 days in March - Hotel Regina?

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 05:20 PM
Nicole

My husband and I are planning a 10-day trip to Madrid in March, and we are thinking of booking a room at the Hotel Regina. All the info I have found online says that it is a 3 star hotel located in the city center. It appears to be very nice. Have any of you had any experience with it?

As well, since we will be spending 10 days in the Madrid area, I'd love to have some advice on any must-dos and must-sees. We plan to take a few day trips: Toledo and Segovia most likely, but maybe others. I'd like to keep Madrid as my "home base," so to speak, because I'm not a big fan of train-hopping and doing alot of actual TRAVELING while I'm traveling. I like to pick a place and then really spend some time there so that I can get a sense of it. (I know, I know. Not enough grit.) But if anyone has specific suggestions for day-trips, or what to do in the areas surrounding Madrid, I'd love to hear!

Does anyone have any other general advice? We usually do a pretty good job of keeping our valuables close and blending in with the natives. Is there anything specific we should add to our list of sights, restaurants, etc.?

Feel free to contact me directly!

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 05:45 PM
Jade

Hi there:

For starters, I would recommend that you spend a day and night in Toledo. It is a gorgeous little town lost in time (you really do feel like you have stepped back into the Middle Ages), with modern conveniences though.

I don't know that I would necessarily like to spend 10 days straight in Madrid. It is a big city after all. I guess it depends if you have been there before and what sort of activities you like doing best (i.e - the Prado would take hours and hours alone, as would the Reina Sofia etc).
I have not stayed at the Hotel you mention, sorry.
Anyhow, have fun.
Kind regards,
Jade

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 06:11 PM
Shannon

Where is the Hotel Regina located? Do you have the address?

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 06:42 PM
Chryso

Hi Nicole

Spain is wonderful! But 10 days in Madrid sounds like a lot. I understand what you mean about keeping a "base." I like the thought of keeping with a place and "living" it, but I'm not sure that's the one place in Spain I would choose--I don't want to spoil it for you though, it's just my opinion. I stayed there for two days and found it to be sufficient. If you've never been there, Seville is just magical and there are a number of days trips from there: Rhonda, Granada, Nerja, I believe. I would spend the bulk of my time there.
I have not stayed at the hotel you mentioned. I stayed at the Hotel Tryp
right near town. It was clean and affordable.
Anyone else have advice for Nicole?

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 06:52 PM
cristina

Nicole,I don't know how you decided on the Reina Victoria but it is old(1919) and basic.I wouldn't be concerned about A/C in March but definitely would want heat.My suggestion is to tell you about Bancotel,a great deal,look up their web site.It's a Spanish company that sells hotel vouchers in groups of 5.They have contracts w/hotels around the world.Each coupon is worth about $50 and when you look up the hotel and the dates available you get a fabulous deal.I juat stayed for 5 nights at the Suecia Hotel,4 star, and it cost me one coupon($50)per night,a total of $250!I could have stayed at 5 star hotels for 2 coupons per night or $100 but the Suecia was great,walking distance to the metro,Banco de Espana, the Prado and the train station.Actually the main train office for information and tickets was a couple of miniutes down from the hotel so we were able to buy our tickets ahead of time and avoid the lines at the station-you'll be amazed at what was done with the old Atocha train station-a fabulous tropical garden!

Day trips by train from Madrid would be :
Avila and Segovia
El Escorial and the Valley of the Fallen
Toledo
I would also suggest you buy a one day pass for the on/off double decker red bus.It really helps you get your bearings,they offer 3 loops around Madrid. The only place the bus doesn't go out to is the Ventas bullring.A great building,no bullfights in March but there is a museum,tricky to find walk all the way around ,on the north side and the iron gate should be open,the museum is free and well done.You might be lucky to charm a worker to open the chapel,the surgery and the gate into the actual bullring for a peek.
Lastly, buy a good guide book,I like the DK Eyewitness ones and enjoy Madrid!
Ask away,I can go on and on.....my favorite pastry shop is in the Puerta del Sol,La Mallorquina and my favorite out of the way casual place to eat is Casa Mingo,great roast chicken and cider .Go to Mingo when you visit the Ermita de San Antonio,frescoes painted by Goya and he is buried there.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 01:37 AM
Sue

Nicole,

I was in Madrid last March and it was great time to go. We stayed 3 nights and then went to the mountains outside Madrid to Rascafria and drove to Segovia for the day over the mountain. You can arrange a taxi to take you there and some other villages for a set price as my parents did before we arrived. After 2 nights we went back to Madrid. Segovia was beautiful and the Aquaduct was amazing. We were in the mountains for a wedding but the area was lovely for a visit if you want to see something other than a city.

In Madrid we just wandered around and stopped anyplace that looked interesting, no agenda and it was so relaxing.

I think 10 days is a lot so you could take the train to Barcelona for a few days. The train station is amazing! It's like a tropical forest inside and the pond has turtles in it.

In Madrid my favourite place is a bar/cafe called El Aijibe in the basement of Cafe Oriente (I think) on Calle Carlos III. It is a small bar decorated Morroran style and deep coulors and the floor is glass where you can see an excavation site of roman pots/vases below. We went on our last night and it was so relaxing and really unusual place for a glass of wine. It's across from the Palacio Real.

Also each day we had coffee for breakfast in the Plaza Mayor. Mind you bags here but it is a lovely old square with cafes. Note of advice...do not order tapas here! It is a rip off. Every trip I get ripped off once and this was the place. We had 4 coffees and 2 tapas (I did not know the word for a smaller portion) and it cost 40 euros! We learned our lesson and only had coffee there afterwards.

March is a nice time for a visit. Enjoy.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 02:25 AM
Graziella

Hi Nicole, I agree with Cristina.
THere are so many smaller cities or towns where you could set base with the following advantages:cheaper hotels or you can choose a Parador , easier to get in and out of town,saving precious hours, besides on the whole I found out that Madrid being a larger city is a bid more dangerous than the surrounding towns.
For instance you can stay in Avila a beautiful little town in its own right and from there visit Segovia and Salamanca. ..and depending where yo u wish to go you can spend a few days in another smaller city than Madrid.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 07:45 AM
Nicole

Thank you to everyone for your advice! So, it sounds as if most of you are reccommending that I spend 5 days or so in Madrid and then make may way to a few of the smaller towns outside the city for the remainder of my vacation.

I've read a little about Toledo, and it sounds very charming. Would you reccommend two nights there? I invesitgated traveling to Barcelona for the rest of my trip, but I am not interested in taking the long train ride, even if I take a sleeper. Where else should I go? Chinchon? Segovia? Any other ideas?

Thanks again for the great advice on restuarants and things to do!! I really appreciate your help! And if someone does have some advice to give about the Hotel Regina, I'd love to hear it! It's located on Alcala, close to the Puerto del Sol.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 08:02 AM
Sue

Nicole,

I do not know the hotel as we stayed in a Hostale (Cheaper basic hotel). I can tell you that Sol is a very bustling area at night so make sure your room does not face a busy street. I really liked the buzz in the area but we never got a nights sleep with the noise.

Many people warned us about Sol. Myself and boyfriend had no problem but I am originally from NY so I am more cautious in big cities. Not that it really make a difference! Just mind your bag and cash. I never kept too much cash on me and be more aware at night.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Graziella

Since you seem convinced to spend 5 days in Madrid or so, and 5 days in small towns, I a still like my own suggestion of staying in Avila and from there visiting Segovia and Salamanca, do not miss Salamanca which is charming....
From Madrid you can visit El Escorial or if you are driving it is on the way to Avila.
Chichon I believe would be ideal for one short trip and back unless you have time to continue E to Cuenca.
I was recently in Toledo, a city with not too many good acomodations
options and found a very good hostal, which is like any 3 * hotel in a great location. Totally new
has ac, cable tv, great bathroom etc
it is the Hostal Santo Tome in 13 calle Santo TOme,925 22 17 12 only difference with a hotel is that front desk is not maned 24 hs., they give you a key, and that breakfast is not served in the hostal. But there are dozens of cafes around.This is a good tip, hope you enjoy it. If you do let me know when you come back, will you? I am very proud to have discoverd this place in Toledo. and location is tops in the heart of the old city. Ciao.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 11:09 AM
Graziella

Sorry Nicole I forgot the best part the Hostal Santo TOme is only eu 52 for two.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 12:27 PM
CathyM

I would agree that 10 days in Madrid is way too long.

Last fall, we spent 2 nights each in Toledo, Segovia and Salamanca. These towns are wonderful (all World Heritage Sites) and have such local atmosphere in the evenings after the daytrippers have gone home. We were also able to visit El Escorial on the way from Toledo to Segovia and Avila on the way from Segovia to Salamanca. There isn't alot of travel time involved between these cities so you wouldn't be spending hours on the road/rail. Another option would be to take a few days and take the AVE down to Sevilla with a day trip (or overnight) in Cordoba. It all depends on what you enjoy. Sevilla and Cordoba are very different from the northern cities.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 01:00 PM
Nicole

Yipes! So is 5 days too long to spend in Madrid? I have been looking at guidebooks, and there appears to be so much to do! How many days would you say that it's worth?

Thanks for the suggestions of hotels/restaurants in the other cities! I'm printing out this thread!

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 07:06 AM
XXXX

For me, 5 or even 10 days in Madrid is not too long. Mind you, my favorite part of Spain is Galicia, but Madrid has a lot to offer, both itself and as a base for daytrips. In addition to the day trips already mentioned on this thread, the AVE train makes both Sevilla and Cordoba viable as day trips. Alcala de Henares (the birthplace of Cervantes) is another good day trip, as is El Escorial and the Valley of the Fallen. Other small towns of Castile also beckon, in addition to the justly famous Segovia and Toledo.

As for Madrid itself, I really like it, although it is a big and not that beautiful city. Still, there are the big three art museums, a large if somewhat disorganized archeological museum, and a very good military museum. I also really enjoy the Rastro (flea market) on Sunday mornings, more for the cultural aspect than for shopping. The royal palace and a handful of chruches, convents and moasteries are worth exploring. The Retiro park is a great place to stroll and the Prado and Castellana are great boulevards for walking. The Plaza mayor and older Hapsburg parts of the city are great for exploring. Definetely avoid the cafes in the Plaza Mayor itself. The city also offers lots of culture in the form of theaters, music, ballet, etc. I enjoy the bullfights, although it is not for everyone, and I am still hoping to be able to see a Real Madrid soccer match. In Madrid you can also enjoy the best cuisine from all over the country, excllent bars and clubs, and a generally happening nightlife. The Plaza de Santa Ana is a good region for nightlife.

The local saying, "De Madrid al cielo" may be exaggerated, but there really is a lot to do if you like cities. I think a lot of people are less enthusiastic about Madrd b/c it lacks the architectural beauty of some of Barcelona, and it is also not the popular image of the small, quaint Spnaish towns.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 09:37 AM
Nicole

Ok, I've re-read the thread carefully, and I have a couple of questions -

Can you tell me more about the AVE train? Between what cities does it run? It seems as though it would be a good choice to use to go from Madrid to Salamanca or Cordoba or Seville, because the distance is longer than a quick jaunt to Toledo. How fast does the train actually go? (ex. How long would the train ride be from Madrid to Salamanca or the other places mentioned? Anybody know off the top of their head?)

Also, what is a Parador? (Pardon my ignorance.)

Can you tell me more about Avila? It looks pretty close to the city, and it sounds promising.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 10:08 AM
Nicole

Whoops - never mind the questions about the AVE and the train system. I found the Rail Europe website, which has been very helpful. It looks to me as if, from Madrid, Toledo and Avila are nice day-trips (El Escorial and the Valley of the Fallen, from my guidebook, also look good.), but that if I really want to see Places like Cordoba, Seville, Segovia, and Salamanca, I should plan on spending several nights out of the city. This will be food for thought for a few days. Thanks to everyone for your help so far!

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 10:37 AM
cooter

The Spanish rail website is at www.renfe.es. The AVE only runs Madrid--Cordoba--Sevilla, but it is a bullet train. It makes those two cities viable as day trips (albeit long day trips). Segovia is also completely possible as a day trip, although I think it is worth an overnight. Salamanca I agree is an overnight trip.

Paradores are state-run hotels, usually in conveted historical buildings, although some, especially on the coast, are modern. They offer uniformly good to excellent rooms, often with historical character and charm, and some of the best dining in Spain. They are also expensive, although you should call the ones in which you are interested for specials and availability.

Avila is a beautiful completely walled city, one of the few (maybe the only?) remaining in Spain with the entire wall intact. It is also notable as the home of Saint Theresa of Avila and offers beautiful religious architecture and lots of historical interest. Definitely worthwhile, in my opinion.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 12:38 PM
Nicole

Thanks, Cooter! Great info!

Well, since Segovia and Slamanca are to the north, and Seville and Cordoba are to the south, I'll probably only have time to really do one or the other, especially if I take a day trip or two from Madrid to Avila, Toledo, El Escorial, or Valley of the Fallen.

Which two cities have the most to offer?

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 05:10 PM
Graziella

Hi , it is me again, Nicole you have to do some homework to learn more about the cities previously mentioned
choosing which one to visit comes to personal preference because they all are top destinations.

A car would serve you much better than trains,even a tiny one.On your way to one destination you can make stops in fascinating places, like if you are going to Segovia or Avila you can stop at El Escorial. etc. Ok?

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 06:30 AM
Nicole

Grazielle,

That's an excellent point. We have been considering renting a car, but we have never done so in a foreign country before. What steps must one take to be legally able to drive in Spain? Some sort of international driver's card? Do you have any tips on renting a car and driving around? I hear the traffic within Madrid is horrendous, but that once you get outside the city (of course), it isn't so bad.

I cross-referenced the times of the train runs with the distances I uncovered at mapquest, and it does appear that taking the train adds at least 30 minutes to every trip, so renting a car probably would be more time-effective.

Does anyone have any suggestions for car rentals? Should I look for a big chain or just walk in a more local-looking place?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -