Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Madrid - Final hotlist, but which hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 02:13 PM
vikki

I've finally narrowed my hotel search down to 3 hotels, but cannot decide which one to finalise on! Personally, I think it's swings and roundabouts, but if anyone can offer any guidance, it would be much appreciated!<BR><BR>Criteria is fab location, rooms that have a touch of style, atmosphere and good value and quality.<BR><BR>Final Hotlist:<BR>Hotel Opera<BR>Carlos V<BR>Santo Domingo<BR><BR>Many thanks!

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 04:20 PM
carlos

I remember when Carlos V was a privately<BR>owned hotel-it was great then.Along came Best Western and improved it1 If you can get in grab it and try to get a room w/balcony.It looks out on the street which is nowadays closed to traffic.Great location!

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 08:59 AM
xxx

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 10:40 AM
Sandra

Vicky, I know you've got your list narrowed down, but here's one that you might like, given the criteria you've expressed: fab location, style, atmosphere, and good value.<BR><BR>I go on regular business trips to Madrid, and always stay at Hotel Velazquez. It's a stylish, old-world hotel, yet not pretentious (I don't think so at least). The rooms are spacious, with toile and fabric covered walls and beautiful furnishings, in the heart of Madrid's upscale shopping district. If you are paying with US Dollars or UK Sterling, then it's quite affordable. Very "castizo", as the Spanish would say. Check it out if you get a chance.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 10:43 AM
xx

sandra, why would paying in pounds or dollars make a hotel more affordable? are the rates lower with these currencies than with euros?

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 11:36 AM
Sandra

No not at all, no lower rate if you pay with USD or GBPs. I was simply speaking from the currency exchange rate and cost-of-living expense. Given those considerations, US and UK residents have a little bit of an edge on most other currencies...

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 01:01 PM
Judy

Hi vikki, we rented 3 rooms at the Carlos V and really enjoyed the location, the quiet (relative ) street since it was a weekend. We stood out on the balcony and listened to a guitarist/singer in the evening (prob. for $). Breakfast was good and they provided airport transportation. Rooms were small but adequate, no special style but the building was interesting. Many layers of draperies and a special blind provided a sound-proof sleep. Judy

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 03:57 PM
Vicky

My husband and I have stayed at both the Carlos V and the Hotel Opera. Carlos V is reasonable and has a great location for walking Old Madrid. Also has reliable airport transportation and a good full breakfast included. I also loved the Hotel Opera for different reasons (great attic room with view) but I think you are looking for the Carlos V. I did not like the Santo Domingo area. Have fun!

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 04:51 PM
Maribel

My vote for nicest (prettiest & most quiet) location and overall best of the three in terms of quality/price ratio: Hotel Opera<BR>(don't personally care for the Santo Domingo's location)

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 04:17 PM
Ark

Stayed at the Santo Domingo last year. Was excellent in all regards. Forget the Carlos V. Far too noisy right on a main shopping street.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 05:26 AM
evelyntrav

We stayed at the Opera. Our room was rather drab, but our balcony and view made it absolutely wonderful. The location was ideal.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 06:32 AM
Rem

I don't understand the comment about the Santo Domingo's location. It is near perfect - 5 minutes from Plaza del Sol and 1 block from Gran Via. On quiet nice street. A subway stop is 50 feet away. What more could anyone want?