Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Madrid directions? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/madrid-directions-1013903/)

mrsgo May 10th, 2014 04:54 AM

Madrid directions?

We would like to know how to get from Madrid's THE WESTIN PALACE HOTEL (Plaza de Las Cortes, 7 ) to HOTEL VINCI VIA 66 ( Calle Gran Via 66. ) Walking distance?

Thank you!
Sue

Christina May 10th, 2014 05:12 AM

If you don't mind walking, it's not that far. I'd say its between .66 to 1 mile. That hotel is near the Museo Thyssen Bornemisza (the Westin) and there isn't really a metro stop real close to it, the other one is between Plaza de Espana and Callao metro stops. To be honest, it isn't really convenient to take the metro as you'd end up walking almost as far, but it would save a little time, probably. You'd walk to the Sevilla stop to get on the no. 2 line, get off at Plaza Santo Domingo and it's just about 1-2 blocks direct north of it.

It's kind of hard to explain how to get there, I think you need to get a map. But easiest directions would be walk north from the hotel along calle del Marques de Cubas until you hit calle de Alcala, a major street (about 3 blocks). Just a bit to the left (west), it intersects with Gran Via. Then just walk up Gran Via till you get to it, which will be quite a ways.

Mimar May 10th, 2014 05:43 AM

I looked this up on Google maps and viaMichelin. It's about a mile, 17 minutes of walking. You could look it up too and print both the map and the directions. (Select the little icon of the pedestrian to get walking instructions.)

Momddtravel2 May 10th, 2014 06:26 AM

Sue,
We just stayed in an apartment very close to the Westin. Great hotel & area. We walked most places till we got too weary & took a few cabs which were fairly inexpensive.
Enjoy Madrid!

chapla May 10th, 2014 06:52 AM

If you can stay at the Palace you certainly can afford (less than 5 euros) to take a taxi-they are all lined up at the door of the hotel!!!!!T

Christina May 10th, 2014 09:26 AM

true, but walking is good for people, anyway, and why contribute to pollution and traffic to avoid a one mile walk? Unless you have physical issues, of course.

If you are there already, I'm sure the hotel has maps to give out. If not, I suggest you buy one in advance for convenience and to do planning. I have Streetwise Madrid which works well and I find convenient to carry around as it is waterproof and durable. You can't be downloading maps from Google every time you decide to go somewhere in a big city.

joannyc May 11th, 2014 08:50 AM

While I do usually have a paper map from the hotel, I use my GPS in pedestrian mode for directions to where I want to go.

Momddtravel2 May 11th, 2014 09:15 AM

Joannyc - we used our GPS on padestrain mode a ton in Madrid... it really helped - it got a little confused on San Ginés (side street) but over all worked great.