Madrid Daytrip - Aranjuez & Chinchon

May 25th, 2003, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Madrid Daytrip - Aranjuez & Chinchon

Without an auto rental or an organized day tour how can a daytrip be don from Madrid to Aranjuez and Chinchon?

Also, in addition to the palace and grounds is Aranjuez a place of interest?

Thanks.
May 25th, 2003, 11:28 AM

Hi Myer,
Besides the palace and gardens in Aranjuez, the summer interest (for me) is culinary-2 food items which are legend in Aranjuez-the wonderful baby or gigantic strawberries you can buy at any stand on the street, topped with whipped cream (yum!) and the great fresh asparagus on all restaurant menus.

From my Madrid file:

Aranjuez:
Train C-3 departs every 15-20 min. Mon-Fri. from ATOCHA. (reduced service on wkds.)

For full day trip, there's also the special 19th c steam engine "Strawberry Train" ("Tren de la Fresa") from Atocha on Sat./Sun., runs April-Oct. (but NOT AUG.-too darn hot!) Includes strawberries served by costumed attendants on route, tour bus to/from 18th c Bourbon Royal Palace, guided visit (in Spanish only), lunch on your own. Last yr. departed at 10 a.m. and returned to Atocha at 7 p.m. (but check with tourist office or call 902 22 88 22 for times)
Note: Train didn't have A.C., if steam locomotive breaks they substitute electric engine, and few non-Spanish speaking visitors seem to take it.

Chinchon:
"La Veloz" bus #337 (it might say "Valdelaguna" on the front) from Avenida del Mediterraneo #49 (green buses on LEFT side of street when coming out of metro stop Conde de Casal, grey circular line #6-don't get on an Arga bus on the right side of Ada. Mediterraneo) Busses leave every hr. on the hr. Mon-Sat, every 1 1/2 hrs. on Sun. Takes 40 min. There are two stops for village; get off at second stop. Short walk to pretty balconied, kind of circular Plaza Mayor. There is NO train to Chinchon.

Hope this helps!

May 25th, 2003, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Maribel, but I would like to visit both the same day. They seem to be pretty close together.

The train from Madrid to Aranjuez and the bus back from Chinchon.

How about from Aranjuez to Chinchon? Any way to do that?
May 25th, 2003, 12:30 PM

Myer,
Don't know how you'd reach tiny Chinchon from Aranjuez by public transportation. There could be a local bus that runs btwn the two, but I'd need to do some digging on that one. I suppose you could take a taxi. They're very close.
We just did this last month by car from the airport, first to Chinchon then to Aranjuez.
May 25th, 2003, 12:46 PM

We were there in November, choosing to spend the night in Chinchon, as we were travelling from Salamanca to Cuenca.
There is nothing to see in Chinchon other than the lovely "square". The town is the only one we visited that seemed rather dead. Without the convenience of a car, I would not make the trip.
Aranjuez was lovely, and the palace gardens are enormous and a nice walk.
There are many other day trips out of Madrid that I think would be more enjoyable than Chinchon. North of Madrid are wonderful towns with much of interest.
May 25th, 2003, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

OK then.

Is there enough to see and do in Aranjuez to justify a day trip without going to Chinchon?

I think I prefer nice places over historic.

Toledo will be a separate day trip.
May 25th, 2003, 01:59 PM

Myer,
I agree that Chinchon can seem "dead" during the week. We were there right before Palm Sunday when they were preparing for their Easter processions. Then the town was filled with day trippers, as people came in droves for a day outing. Chinchon only comes to life on wkds. when madrilenos visit and the artisan shops, bakeries, gourmet shops selling regional products and their famous anisette and the roast lamb taverns fill to capacity, and particuarly on the July wkds when they have special corridas right in the square.

If you have time to do only 2 day trips via public transportation from Madrid, I'd make them to Toledo and Segovia, where there will be enough to keep you very busy for 2 full days.
May 27th, 2003, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

Maribel,
Thanks again for your help.

However, I feel like I should place a reply on the comiserate thread. I've had to cancel our trip again. This is probably the trip to never take place.

Thanks for all your help.
May 30th, 2003, 01:56 PM

Myer,
I'm really sorry to hear you've had to cancel yet again! I just hope it wasn't for health reasons. When you're ready to try again (and hope you can very soon), just yell.

For those thinking of doing a Madrid-Chinchón-Aranjuez-Madrid day trip by bus-bus-train, I did find the Chinchón-Aranjuez bus info. Bus line is Mosano:
www.ciudad-chinchon.com/hora_mosano.html

Tricky, especially on Sat., but not impossible.

For Veloz bus, Madrid-Chinchón:
www.ciudad-chinchon.com/hora_veloz.html