With flights at a low, we're thinking of going to Madrid for a week in October. We've never been to Spain, and chose Madrid because we can take day trips by train, and won't need to rent a car.
We have some interest in museums, but really like old cobbled streets, local markets, city green spaces and parks, outdoor cafes to sit and enjoy an afternoon, ambling around enjoying the architecture and ambience. Not so much major shopping unless it's local stores.
Paris is a city we love because it has all those things within a reasonably small area, but we want to try s new city. In our experience London doesn't have one defined city centre. So my question is, is Madrid more like Paris or London regarding the centre.
I find Paris a very comfortable city, London more of an effort, if that makes any sense? With only a week, it would be ideal to walk out of our apartment or hotel and walk a different direction each day.
That brings another question, based on our interests, any particular area we should be looking for. We are young seniors, and won't be hitting up any bars, so not looking for a young, hip, loud, tacky area.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 HP PRINTER 1800:681:7208 installation CONTACT HP Tec*h care 24/7
- 2 Must See/Do/Eat in Vienna?
- 3 "chunnel" to change it's offical name.
- 4 Paris, Normandy & Amsterdam with College Graduate
- 5 London vacation rental agency
- 6 The 2017-18 Ashes thread - up now on the Aussie forum.
- 7 Scotland ideas
- 8 Buying RER Ticket CDG-Paris
- 9 land vs river cruise
- 10 The World's Greatest Churches
- 11 September in Venice, Croatia, and Slovenia
- 12 London flat feedback wanted - yes, I'm going slightly crazy!
- 13 Germany, Switzerland and Paris with teens
- 14 Italy Croatia Bosnia
- 15 Malaga Christmas lights
- 16 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 17 Trans Siberian Train
- 18 Tips for first trip to UK
- 19 Devon and Dorset: Where to Base?
- 20 And the winner is ...India? Egypt? no, Italy!
- 21 South of France
- 22 Czech Republic & Germany in Eleven Days
- 23 Traveling to Ukraine with a travel guide
- 24 My France Vacation
- 25 Slovenia and Croatia in January (Solo)