Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Madrid bullfight tickets (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/madrid-bullfight-tickets-1453423/)

RH927 Jul 3rd, 2017 01:15 PM

Madrid bullfight tickets

Hello,

I'm trying to book a ticket to one of Madrid's bullfights on either July 14 or 15, but the website (https://www.bullfightticketsmadrid.com/en/home) is saying they're not available for either day. Does this mean tix are sold out (which seems unlikely), or do they not go on sale til closer to the day of? Would appreciate any advice. The 14th or 15th are the only days I'd be able to go.

Thanks in advance!

Bedar Jul 3rd, 2017 01:36 PM

Bullfights normally take place on Sundays unless it's a fiesta when they're on everyday. Where will you be on the 16th ?

lincasanova Jul 3rd, 2017 01:38 PM

that bullring is closed all summer.. security reasons.. they may remodel or perhaps with the present local government, never re-open and turn it into a mall.

lincasanova Jul 3rd, 2017 01:40 PM

here is list for Spain ( corridas)

https://www.servitoro.com/es/calendario-taurino#month7

Bedar Jul 3rd, 2017 01:45 PM

Horrors ! Guess they'll have to go to the Féria de Julio in Valencia if we want to see some toros. What are the dates for that ?

PalenQ Jul 3rd, 2017 02:03 PM

Or go to Barcelona!

Bedar Jul 3rd, 2017 02:18 PM

Wouldn't go to Barcelona for anything. Better the Feria in Malaga in August.

Bedar Jul 3rd, 2017 03:53 PM

Lin - You must be thinking of the Vista Alegre Plaza which closed in '95. Las Ventas is open and holding corridas into October. The site you provided is faulty.

Loacker Jul 8th, 2017 12:21 PM

The website is down? Great news.

I think animal rights activists should start hacking all websites that sell tickets to bull fights.

Do the bulls a favor and boycott the event. If tourists keep buying tickets, the cruelty will never end.

Bedar Jul 8th, 2017 01:40 PM

Tourists attend flamenco shows. Spaniards attend bullfights. Once they are both gone, Spain will turn into yet another mediocre European country filled with northerners there strictly for the better weather. Very sad. Enjoy flamenco while you may.

schnauzer Jul 8th, 2017 01:49 PM

Enjoy Flamenco for sure but I can't imagine wanting to see an animal being tortured... barbaric IMO. I'm glad you couldn't get tickets....

MinnBeef Jul 8th, 2017 03:55 PM

I attended a bullfight in Madrid in March 2015. I only stayed for the first 2 of 6 fights as i had a tapas walking tour that evening and I felt like I got the flavor of the event after 2 fights. The cigarette and cigar smoke was heavy and I did not enjoy watching the. Ills be unceremoniously dragged out of the arena after the fight, but I am very glad I attended this quintessential Spanish experience and have one of my photos from the first fight in my bedroom wall. One questions that I have t been able to get a definitive answer on, however, is whether the bull can be used for food afterwards or is it too muscular? It would be a shame if the latter.

Bedar Jul 8th, 2017 04:32 PM

Yes, very definitely the bull is used for food.

Loacker Jul 8th, 2017 10:42 PM

<<Bedar on Jul 9, 17 at 12:40am
Tourists attend flamenco shows. Spaniards attend bullfights. Once they are both gone, Spain will turn into yet another mediocre European country filled with northerners there strictly for the better weather. Very sad. Enjoy flamenco while you may.>>

That's like saying Saudi Arabia will lose its authenticity once they stop beheading people.

Pepper_von_snoot Jul 9th, 2017 03:39 AM

I attended a bullfight in Barcelona (matador on horseback).

It was one of the most disgusting I ever witnessed.

The seats were filled with old men and tourists. Young Spaniards don't go to bullfights.

In my opinion, only someone of the lowest intellect would find a bullfight entertaining.

Thin

vincenzo32951 Jul 9th, 2017 03:48 AM

I take pride in my low intellect.

I probably never would do it again, but we attended a bullfight in Spain years ago, mostly out of curiosity. I have to say, it was an interesting and colorful event. Someone mentioned upthread that they should pay homage to the fallen bull. I had that thought the day we attended, as they dragged the dead bulls out of the arena.

As I said, I don't think I'd do it again, but, heaven help me, I did enjoy it the one time I went.

Loacker Jul 9th, 2017 04:48 AM

vincenzo32951, and are you able to sleep at night knowing that a bull had to suffer an agonizing death so that people like you can satisfy their morbid curiosity?

bilboburgler Jul 9th, 2017 05:08 AM

I'd certainly not consider attending a bullfight in Spain. Partially because the bull fighting you can see in France is so much better and.... the bull gets to live and fight another day.

The British managed to get rid of bear baiting, dog fighting, chicken fighting and even the Spainish have managed to get over watching what happens to donkeys pushed off church steeples (yes you guessed it right) why on earth they still like to torture a bull to death is beyond me.

Why the OP wants to go and see it is a mystery and frankly a bit disgusting. I understand you can still visit abatoirs anyday of the week and yet there is no queue while prices are low.

MinnBeef Jul 9th, 2017 06:27 AM

Those Of You like bilboburgler and pepper_van_snoot who have uber strong feelings against bullfighting are certainly entitled to your opinions, but to name call others who chose to attend, by calling them "disgusting" or of "low intellect" only demonstrates your own immaturity and intolerance.

bilboburgler Jul 9th, 2017 06:56 AM

I didn't mention low intelligence ;-)

While lack of maturity is an interesting concept, given the sight of an animal (damaged before entering the ring) struggling to stand while the life blood pours out it and other animals scream with joy at the graceful movements of an unscathed animal (which strangely nearly always seems to be human).

If being one of the "other animals" is your idea of greater maturity.....

I have a sudden feeling I need to read Animal Farm or Lord of the Flies all over again :-)