Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Madrid Barajas snowed in.. Just missed it!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2009, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watching the news today we are counting our blessings! we flew into Barajas yesterday morning, took the bus to town, a cab to the Thyssen, then walked to Atocha for our 2 pm train.

Today the airport is closed, the ride to town would have taken three or four hours if we had gotten out before the road was closed.. and the trains/flights are all messed up!

How lucky we were!

I hope no fodorites are stuck there! They have diverted planes to Barcelona and Valencia. This Siberian cold wave is so severe.
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 07:13 AM

OMG, Lin! that is crazy. Glad you were lucky!
Hope we don't get any snow in March!
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 07:44 AM

Lin-- lucky you!! How cold it is? how many inches odf snow? Weird weather for Madrid!!
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

i'm not sure how many inches..on TV looks like only a few but has paralized the entire area as this dump was unexpected and unannounced.

people walking with their suitcases TOWARDS the airport as road was closed.

cold?? in valencia down to about 35F but probably much less in madrid. yesterday teh cabbie said it had been 6-8 below zeroC.. so in 20'sF.

Feels colder to me!

we just cannot believe the change overnight.. but boy are we glad we didn't get stuck in that mess. we have never been so close to one of those vacation disasters!!
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 11:04 AM

Hi, lincasanove, I drove to Madrid just yesterday arriving in the early evening, parked by the Prado, and left at about 9'30 PM to spend the night at a town in Toledo. Everything seemed normal, could not see many clouds, but it was very cold. Imagine my surprise this morning, all white (but the road) from Toledo to Despeñaperros; had I spent the night in Madrid, I'd still be there!
Snow in Barajas was only 5cm (2 in), that's what I heard on the radio, but it seems the snow-wiping machines (snowplough?) were not ready. It's all been a mess.
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 03:47 PM

Wow, what a mess! Glad you and josele missed being stuck. I'm watching the news-they say that Barajas was closed for the very first time ever, for 5 hours. And the only way to get out there now is by metro. It looks like it was total chaos.
lin, you were soooooo lucky! Hope you enjoyed the Thyssen!
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

I always enjoy a museum!

barajas today is finally almost back to normal. Iberia is being investigated for extremly rude/incorrect treatment towards its passengers during this chaos.

this will be intersting. Their pseudo strike is still affecting flights and timetables.

they are the only airline to have cancelled any flights today.

wow. am i glad i missed this mess.
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 02:16 PM

Hi lin,
Rude/incorrect treatment from Iberia to its passengers during a chaotic event at Barajas or El Prat? Now, who would have thought that???? (cruiseluv and I have been on the receiving end of that one, as I'm sure you have been too) LOL! Sure glad you got home safely.