Madrid and Barcelona in October

Sep 23rd, 2006, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Madrid and Barcelona in October

We are seniors who will be spending a week in Madrid and a week in Barcelona in October. We'd like to pack lightly, but still be adequately dressed for a fashionable country at a season where the weather seems to be unpredictable. Or is it? Any suggestions?
Sep 23rd, 2006, 07:36 PM

Weather is always unpredictable, but October in Barcelona and Madrid should still be fairly mild, especially Barcelona. If you have any doubts about the weather prior to packing your bags, then I'd suggest you keep an eye on the weather predictions for both Madrid and Barcelona at a web site like Weather.com (http://www.weather.com) where you can get a 10-day forecast.
Sep 23rd, 2006, 09:14 PM

We were in Madrid and Barcelona in the first half of November 2004, and it was sweater weather in both cities.
Sep 23rd, 2006, 09:28 PM

I don't know where you presently live, but I would say that Barcelona is a very loose town and quite accepting of all kinds of attire. Dressing up is a personal choice. Madrid is more like New York and there is an awareness of formality and an interest in being "well-dressed" (partly as a display of status), but you will not feel out of place dressing for comfort during the daytime.

You will find the Spanish and Catalonians very willing to suspend whatever loose rules they have about attire for tourists -- just as you would for a foriegn visitor.

As for keeping warm and packing lightly, silk underwear from Winter Silks (look them up on the web) plus a fleece scarves and hats from Lands' End would prepare you for anything -- but perhaps I should add that some Lands' End foldable/packable waterproof have been a good investment for me.
Sep 23rd, 2006, 09:30 PM

Sorry for my typos. I meant to add the word "ponchos" for my recommendation of waterproof Lands' End attire available online.
Sep 24th, 2006, 05:17 AM

A tourist shop owner across from the Prado once told me his "moneyed" crowd shows up in October. Don't you think the crowd that could choose when it wanted to travel would go in the "best" season? It is the best season for travel...not too hot, cold, maybe rain. As Robert says, the unpredictable is always possible, but October is a fine time to travel to Spain. And roasted chestnuts? I am trying to think when they begin roasting and selling them on the street.
Sep 24th, 2006, 06:24 AM

We were n Barcelona last October and whether or not we went to "tourst areas" or not we ddn't see many "fashonably dressed" women.. Days were lovely and some evenngs t raned.. We weren't wearng dungarees, but slacks, top and lght weght jacket..