Madrid and Barcelona hotel HELP!!

Old Dec 15th, 2016, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Madrid and Barcelona hotel HELP!!

My friend and I will be participating in a Northern Spain, Portugal, France trip in May. We will add on a few days to the beginning in Madrid and a few days at the end in Barcelona. I would greatly appreciate some hotel recommendations for each city. This will be my third trip to Madrid, so I do know that I'd like to be in the area near the Plaza Mayor. But poor record keeper that I am, I don't remember my previous accommodations there, but do know that I liked the convenience and activity of the area. I have never been to Barcelona. Is there a similar area to stay there? Is it a good idea for two 60 year old women to stay in a similar Barcelona neighborhood?

We like small, antique-laden, hotels. For example, my favorite hotel in Granada was in the Albaicin neighborhood, Palacio de Santa Ines (I loved this place so much, I actually kept the brochure - not like me!) It was about $100 a night, great location and beautiful furnishings.

Greatly appreciate your recommendations. Also, since this is my first time in Barcelona, I'd like to hear your "don't miss" thoughts. Like a side trip to Montserrat??

Thanks so much!
Old Dec 15th, 2016, 03:47 PM

Have you checked booking.com to see what's available? There are a few properties around Plaza Mayor similar to Palacio de Santa Ines.

"Is it a good idea for two 60 year old women to stay in a similar Barcelona neighborhood?" Shouldn't be a problem.
Old Dec 15th, 2016, 03:58 PM

Similar for Barcelona would be near Placa Catalunya. Get a street map that notes the Barcelona metro stations and you can find it. Plus, stay anywhere within the box of Tetuan, Universitat, Diagonal and Verdaguer and you'll be in good shape.

Is your budget $100 or was that just what you paid?
Old Dec 15th, 2016, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

That's kind of my favorite price point, but I don't mind paying more for something special - for me that means lots of character, not lots of amenities!

I'll check out booking.com

thanks!
Old Dec 15th, 2016, 04:32 PM

Uh, and is the $100 your share or total? That makes a . . . 100% difference.
Old Dec 15th, 2016, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

That's a total - room per night.