Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Madrid Airport to Madrid (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/madrid-airport-to-madrid-363701/)

Italiano Oct 6th, 2003 05:07 AM

Madrid Airport to Madrid

What would be the best way from the airport into Madrid. I know there is a train and I have a train stop by my hotel. Its only one conection. I will be traveling with My Wife and a 2 & 8 year old .Is there alot of room on the trains serving the airport . Or should I go with a taxi ?What would I expect to pay for the taxi . I am staying at the Holiday Inn Madrid Plaza Carlos Trias Bertran 4 Madrid Spain in March 2004 thanks in advance Ciao

quepasa18 Oct 6th, 2003 07:01 AM

I would advise against a taxi unless you or your wife speaks pretty good Spanish. Madrid taxi drivers are famous for ripping people off. And handling luggage plus two small children in the metro might be difficult.

I would suggest the aerocity shuttle service (www.aerocity.com). They pick you up at the airport and bring you right to your hotel. It's a fixed charge so you know you can't get ripped off. They are also very friendly. I used their service when I was in Madrid this past March and would definitely go that way again.

Anne

car Oct 6th, 2003 07:05 AM

italiano
metro line number 8 will bring you from the airport to Nuevos Ministerios in 15 minutes for 1,10 euros p/p probably the 2 year old does not pay, , but with kids and Luggage, I think taxi will be better cost should be around 20/22 euros.

brotherleelove2003 Oct 6th, 2003 07:16 AM

The airport train is spacious, easy and comfortable. If there's a stop near your hotel I suggest that you take the train and maybe a local taxi from that stop to your hotel if it's not within easy walking distance.

Italiano Oct 6th, 2003 07:22 AM

Thank you quepasa18 & car I checked out the Aerocity website is the rate per person or for the group it says 20 euro for four and 17euro for 1-3 I know the other shuttle services in London and Paris charge per person . If its for all one price that would be a great deal . And yes my wife Is from Ecuador and speaks fluent Spanish along with the eight year old.

Intrepid Oct 6th, 2003 08:10 AM

I suggest that if you do put a taxi in this "mix" you try to get the driver to agree, in advance, as to what the price of the ride should turn out to be.

quepasa18 Oct 6th, 2003 08:16 AM

Yes, the cost is based on the number of people in your group as opposed to per person. A very good deal.

diversityjobber Oct 6th, 2003 12:17 PM

Ask your hotel conciege for help. The day before leaving give the concierge a tip (3 Euros) to call his/her favorite cab company and negotiate a flat rate ( including luggage surchages and whatever) on your behalf. Most cabbies will not "stiff" the hotel concierge and you'll get excellent service.
The Sol train station was a 5 minute walk from our hotel and we did not have any children..we took a cab.. The train is less expensive but it's a hassle with steps and crowds.. You'll be stressed enough once you reach the airport.

William Oct 6th, 2003 01:33 PM

I've had great luck with Aerocity shuttle in the past. While the train is an inexpensive method, I prefer the shuttle so that I can see the sights on the way into town.

Maira Oct 6th, 2003 01:59 PM

E-mail the hotel and ask them for options. I wouldn't be surprised that the hotel had/be connected with some shuttle service. As an example, the Best Western- Atlantico in Gran Via has a free shuttle airport-hotel; $6/pp hotel-airport.

As far as taxis, IF you go for this option, Make sure that all DO NOT get out of the taxi while the luggage still in the trunk. A friend of the family took a taxi from Barajas-hotel in Madrid along with her husband and elderly in-laws. When they all got out of the car, and while waiting at the sidewalk for their luggage, the taxi driver sped off with all their belongings. They were left with the clothes they were wearing and their handbags. Needless to say, an avoidable situation if you exert caution.

summercool Oct 6th, 2003 02:21 PM

I just return from Madrid last Friday (10/03/03). I would have to agree big time with using the AeroCity shuttle service. This was perhaps one of the most pleasurable trips going/coming from any airport I have ever had. They pick me up at the hotel at the exact time I specified (8.30 am). They loaded my bags, drove me to the airport in the middle of rush hour which only took about 25 minutes, unloaded my bags at the curb and got me a cart. The driver was not only very professional he was one of the friendliest person I met in Madrid. All of this for 20 Euros (17 fare + 3 tip). In Madrid they can smell a tourist from the moment he lands and they will try to rip you off. Use the service, just make arangements before you get there so the waiting is shorter.