Madrid - airport to bus/train timing

Old Apr 15th, 2019, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Madrid - airport to bus/train timing

Hi, I have a flight from London to Madrid on a Sunday in August. I don't think we will be checking luggage. We land at Barajas at 12:40 p.m. and are staying in Burgos that night, so I'm trying to nail down timing to get there. Originally, I had hoped to take a bus directly from T4, but it looks like the 3:15 p.m. bus I banked on when I booked these plane tickets will not be running in August, and our only options are a 1:15 p.m. or 6:45 p.m. bus. Looks like there is also a 4:05 p.m. train, but I was hoping to minimize transfers at this point and leave right from the airport... but will take the train if it means less hours spent waiting around... (we will be spending time in Madrid later in our trip so I don't feel the need to make time for it here, especially while schlepping luggage)

First question: there's NO WAY I should even consider the 1:15 p.m. bus, right? That seems like way too tight of a timeline to get off the plane, through immigration/customs/passport control/whatever, and to the bus station, even if it's right at the airport. Right?

Second question: will there possibly more busses or trains available that won't be listed online?

Third question: how imperative is it that I book a bus/train ticket ahead of time? I know with Renfe especially, the price goes up as the train fills and the closer it gets. But, it would be amazing to have the option to take the 1:15 bus if we magically make it down to the bus station in time...

Thanks!
Old Apr 15th, 2019, 07:22 PM
kja

Personally, I would not count on the 1:15. As you suspect, it can take a while to get through the airport.

I can't say that you do or do not need to book in advance with any certainty, but I can say that in May 2015, I had no trouble getting a very inexpensive ticket on a nearly empty bus from Barajas to Burgos. I don't think the price of the bus changed over time, but I could be wrong.

Sorry, I don't know the schedule for posting, either.

Good luck!
Old Apr 15th, 2019, 08:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also be aware that the train station at Burgos is a ways out of the center. You will need a bus or taxi from the station.
Old Apr 15th, 2019, 08:52 PM

There won't be any customs. Unless they get Brexit done by August.

That's a big airport. It can take longer than you think just to travel between terminals.

There is the summer schedule change plus IIRC they don't post the schedule more than sixty days in advance. To get an idea of what the schedule will be like in August check next month. I doubt there will be a major difference.

In short take the train even if it means making a connection in Madrid. It's not like the bus will be more comfortable or faster.
Old Apr 18th, 2019, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by amandarawrrr
Hi, I have a flight from London to Madrid on a Sunday in August. I don't think we will be checking luggage. We land at Barajas at 12:40 p.m. and are staying in Burgos that night, so I'm trying to nail down timing to get there. Originally, I had hoped to take a bus directly from T4, but it looks like the 3:15 p.m. bus I banked on when I booked these plane tickets will not be running in August, and our only options are a 1:15 p.m. or 6:45 p.m. bus. Looks like there is also a 4:05 p.m. train, but I was hoping to minimize transfers at this point and leave right from the airport... but will take the train if it means less hours spent waiting around... (we will be spending time in Madrid later in our trip so I don't feel the need to make time for it here, especially while schlepping luggage)

First question: there's NO WAY I should even consider the 1:15 p.m. bus, right? That seems like way too tight of a timeline to get off the plane, through immigration/customs/passport control/whatever, and to the bus station, even if it's right at the airport. Right?

Second question: will there possibly more busses or trains available that won't be listed online?

Third question: how imperative is it that I book a bus/train ticket ahead of time? I know with Renfe especially, the price goes up as the train fills and the closer it gets. But, it would be amazing to have the option to take the 1:15 bus if we magically make it down to the bus station in time...

Thanks!
Welcome! You are right, to get on the Bus to Burgos from T4 at 1;15 won't be possible. However, check attachment. There are 2 ALSA buses (4 and 4,30 PM) to Burgos on August / Sundays, departing from Terminal Avenida America.
From T4 get into metro line 8 and change in Metro Station Colombia. Get here in metro line 9 to Avenida America Terminal. Madrid metro is safe, clean and easy.
You can book and buy your tickets to Burgos on line on ALSA web.
Have a nice trip
Attached Files