Madrid Airport to AVE to Seville

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 10:31 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Madrid Airport to AVE to Seville

I'm having trouble plotting a course. We will fly into MAD and then need to get to the Atocha Renfe station to catch the AVE to Seville (or so it appears). Looks like this can be done via the Metro, though it requires switching lines twice and a total of about 18 stops.

Is there a better way to get from MAD to the AVE to Seville? I'd fly, but the layover is too long. Thanks.

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 11:30 AM
GGinSF

One possibility is to take the airport bus that drops people off at the Plaza de Colon, then take a short cab ride from there. I'm planning to do that in reverse next month when I head from Seville to Madrid (by AVE) to fly home from the Madrid airport. Perhaps others with experience can suggest other ways also.

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 11:40 AM
Emilia

If you don't have much luggage and you are not planning to travel at rush hour, the metro option really would not be all that bad...even if it is 18 stops and two changes. The shuttle to Plaza de Colon also makes several stops along the way and it doesn't go as often as the metro does, so I don't know if that would be any quicker. I have used both and would rate them about equal in convenience. The nice thing about the metro is that it is less expensive, and you don't have the hassle of transferring to a taxi at Colon.

Old Sep 2nd, 2000, 10:34 AM
mmgr

Maybe this post comes too late for your trip - but why not just avoid the nightmare of arriving (jet-lagged) to a foreign country, waiting in line to buy Metro or bus tickets (from an agent with whom you will not share a language unless you speak Spanish), drag luggage up and down subways steps or onto buses, go through the hassle of two or or Metro changes (what happens if you miss your stop or can't find the platform?), deal with crowds (possibly rush-hour) on buses and subways, and then try to flag a taxi on the street in the Plaza Colon? Just take a taxi from the airport to Atocha! It will only cost about $20-25, and this includes the extra fees for 2-3 suitcases.

Old Sep 2nd, 2000, 02:21 PM
Pam

Hey Brian,

I live in at Atlanta as well. I hope you are having a pleasant Labor Day holiday!

My husband and I are traveling to Spain in October. Initially we planned to fly into Madrid and take the AVE train to Seville. However, to save all of the hassle we played around with our flights and we are now flying Air France directly into Seville.

If you are able to change your flight plans it may save you a lot of trouble and time. Anyway, good luck and have a blast on your trip.

Pam

Old Sep 6th, 2000, 07:06 PM
Eric

Yes, it can be done via the Metro, but only if you have limited luggage. I wouldn't want to do it with lots of or heavy bags. As far as Metro tickets, there are ticket machines that are quite intuitive to use and give change.

Consider the trade-off of the extra time required to get transportation from the airport to central Madrid and the hassle involved, vs. automatic luggage transfer, even with a long wait, for a connecting flight to Seville.

An alternative to all these suggestions for ground transportation is a service called AeroCity (www.aerocity.com). It's a door-to-door service like SuperShuttle in many US cities. I used this service in August. For 1700 ptas, about $9.25, two of us went from the airport to central Madrid (to a hotel about a mile from Atocha Renfe), and you can reserve on the Web. You have to provide a credit card number, but that's just to guarantee the booking.

Old Sep 7th, 2000, 05:10 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Thanks everyone for your help/suggestions. Turns out the trip has been postponed until next fall as I'm not able to get a Delta award ticket for any reasonable dates next spring. But I will look into that Air France to Seville option. Thanks!