Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Madrid Airport-How far from T2 to Metro station?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi-
I'm off to Spain next week and I'm considering taking the metro into town.
I've heard it's a long walk from the international station to where the airport metro stop is (in another terminal?). Has anyone done this?
We'll be traveling with rolling carry-on bags only.
Or, we can take the Aero shuttle...
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 12:10 PM

Kristina, if you're able-bodied (not with cane, crutches, feeble, etc.), you should be able to do it. Maybe it is a 15 minute walk, which I did many times last time, that's a mile. You can do that especially with only rolling carry-ons. The concern is not at that Metro stop in the airport but to wherever you are going. If it's rush hour, how comfortable do you feel with carryons in a subway? I would try to avoid rush and check to see how many transfers you have to get to metro stop near hotel. In any case, in you are not too tired from flight, I would take the Metro.

Even if you take the shuttle, you will probably have to take taxi, etc. to get
to your hotel. The shuttle drops you off near Colón.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 12:23 PM

I've also done it. It's just like Holakjs says--15 min.--definitely not challenging for someone in healthy shape. There are some horizontal people movers along the way if you don't want to walk 100%, but you'll have to keep taking your luggage off the cart.

The Metro is pretty easy (and cheap), but just don't carry too much or have luggage that's too cumbersome. They don't have handicap ramps like we do that would've made it easy to roll lots of luggage in and out of the station.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks.
We're arriving around noon on a Saturday after a long flight from LAX via London.
We are able bodied (Mom and I) though I'm concerned about how tired we'll be.
I checked the Madrid Metro website and it looks like we'd have to make 2 changes to get close to our destination and probably a 3 block walk to the hotel.
I suppose it depends on how we feel when we get off the plane.
The shuttle is door to door (aerocity.com) and would cost us about 15 euro total, so it might be worth it.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 01:52 AM

I think AeroCity is the way to go, especially after a long, grueling trip to get there.
BTW
The Metro Station is between Terminals 2 & 3; your flight from London (intra EU) may not end up at the International Arrivals terminal. My EasyJet flight from London (Luton) docked at Terminal #2.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 03:16 AM

Most Madrid metro stations have escalators (I never saw an elevator) but you might have to walk up some stairs carrying your luggage.

I would give it a chance but only if I had VERY light and manageable luggage.

Most international flights come in early in the morning which is going to get you into the office rush hour. Expect that metro to be very crowded. I think that the airport is end-of-line so at least you could find a seat in a corner and guard you luggage for your first ride. Getting into a crowded train with luggage...I would take a taxi or a shuttle.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 04:56 AM

Hi Kristina,

I do that trip quite often on Friday evening on the other direction (Colombia to Barajas airport), much better than a taxi in the middle of the rush hour ... The line from Nuevos Ministerios to Barajas is brand new, and there are lifts at the stations (sometimes even between different lines), so it shouldnīt be a problem regarding the luggage. Also, you would catch the metro almost at the beginning, so you should be able to get a seat and even a place for your suitcases at the luggage racks.
And yes, the walk from International Arrivals to the metro is almost 15 mns

But ... after seeing that you will need at least a couple of changes ( do you mind telling which hotel are you staying? ), I wouldnīt take the metro, even with carry-on luggage. I donīt know how much Aerocity charges, but I can tell you that I usually pay around 18 Euros on Sunday nights from Barajas to the north of Madrid (including the night and airport extra). The taxi driver cannot charge for the luggage, and there are plenty of them on arrivals.

Kind regards,
Cova

Ps. If you need any help, I live in Madrid right now. Remember that the 12th is a national holiday ...
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 05:01 AM

I see a few things in your post that make a metro ride worth it.
1. FLIGHT You are coming in from London. I don't think that's a long, hard flight.
2. DAY Saturday. Forget the rush hour problem. Maybe activity in the last afternoon for evening activities, but..
3. AIRPORT METRO. It's a very new line, and you won't run into crowds until you receive the center of the city....being a Sat. shouldn't be a problem.
4. TIME The trip with a couple of changes will take between 30-45 minues. (The airport is way out, as expected.)
5. MONEY - 15E isn't 100, but what could you and your friend/s do with 30 or 45 (15 x 2,3) when the Metro is only about 1E.
6. METRO Are you comfortable in the Metro? Call me crazy, but I like it.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 05:05 AM

My bad! You and Mom are coming from LAX via London.
No question. Take the AeroShuttle. 15E at that point will be nothing. It's a good price, anyway. After that trip, you don't want to hassle the Metro.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 05:17 AM

Hi there,

holakjs, the price of Aerocity is 15 Euros regardless of 1 or 2 people ( see it at http://www.aerocity.com ).

Saturday at noon is a very decent time to arrive and take the metro, but if Kristina has to do a couple of changes, I think a shuttle or a taxi will be well worth the price.

Kristina, I have seen that you has already lived in Madrid (nice site, btw) ... well, expect public works and public works and public works ... Danny de Vito was around last year, and seeing that the works were still going on strong, asked if the town council hadnīt found the hidden treasure.
On top of that, the works for the new train station in Sol will force to "almost" close down that area for at least two years from the 16th of November on ... http://tinyurl.com/avbga I wonder where all the pickpockets will go now ...

Rgds, Cova
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 10:18 AM

skip the metro.. take the shuttle and careful with your purses EVERYWHERE.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 10:37 AM

The metro is fine, but there are a lot of stairs at each change. For our final return, we took a taxi back to the airport for 19 Euros plus tip (from Hotel Tryp Cibeles on Gran Via). By then we were loaded down with shopping, and I didn't want to worry about having our passports and tickets stolen on the way to the airport!
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Wow everyone, thanks for the tips!

Yes, it will be a loooong trip there (LAX-SFO-LHR-MAD). Had to do it this way to get a FF ticket.
So, depending on how we feel upon arrival, we'll decide what to do then. Usually I like to take public transportation because it's cheaper and it gives me a thrill to know I can figure it out. That said, I am traveling with Mom and I'm uncertain about her lugging her bags up and down metro stairs. She already walks too slow for me!
Is the Aerocity shuttle desk easy to find?

Cova-we'll be staying at the Intur-Palacio on Plaza San Martin. Any advice for nearby restaurants?

Thanks!
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 01:22 AM

Hi Kristina,

I would really opt for the taxi or the Aerocity shuttle. The change between the line 8 and the line 10 at Nuevos Ministerios is really easy (including a lift between them), but I donīt know how good it is between line 10 and line 3 at Plaza de España. The line 3 has been closed for renovations during the last months and I donīt remember if they included a decent lift in Plaza de España or if the walk was too long. Also, you would have to get out at Callao, one of the busiest stations in Madrid, right in the Gran Via ... and of course, with plenty of public works going on in the surface.

The hotel is really well located, between Sol, the Plaza Mayor and the Plaza de Oriente. As you are arriving sometime around lunch time, I might try one of the Frescco self-service places (lots of salads and healthy food and not expensive at all).

You can walk to a lot of places from the hotel. If you are not looking for the "typical spanish" fare they serve in places like Botin, I would head to Chueca, the gay district of Madrid (and a extremely interesting area regarding shopping). In the Chueca area, I like places like Bazaar ( http://tinyurl.com/cd3ku , but this one is a bit crowded, since it was discovered that Beckham goes there every now and then ), Cafe Oliver ( http://www.cafeoliver.com/ , mix of french and moroccan influences, with a really comprehensive list of spanish wines ) or "El 26 de Libertad" (http://tinyurl.com/8p6qd ). The owners of Bazaar also have another place called "La finca de Susana" near Sol. The problem with "Bazaar" and "La finca de Susana" is that you cannot book in advance, so you should be prepared to arrive a bit before 8:30 and queue.
http://tinyurl.com/b6eno And, of course, opinions are mixed. They are cheap and popular, therefore, they must be bad ...

Another option is to go the tapas way. If the weather is fine, you should at least once sit outside the Cafe de Oriente, right by the Opera House. A bit expensive, but very nice place. Then you have the very touristic, but nevertheless interesting Santa Ana area. And another nice place to sit down and relax (believe me, even if itīs right in the Paseo de Recoletos, you can talk ...) are the Cafe Gijon and the Cafe del Espejo. In the evenings they have a piano player, and it is a great place to relax. http://tinyurl.com/8z4jt

Kind regards, Cova

Old Oct 6th, 2005, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Cova-
I've read that the Chueca area is now quite trendy. This is funny to me since this is the area my husband and I lived in 1991. At that time, it was far from "trendy", and more like "dodgy". I remember we lived on Calle Augusto Figuera, 8 and there was a little restaurant in the bottom of the building called "El Castillo", very basic traditional food. I can't wait to see if it's still there.
Thanks for all the recommendations!
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 06:32 AM

Hi Kristina,

I think the restaurant is still there ( check in http://www.qdq.com , Callejeros fotograficos . Just put the name of the street and the number ). I tend to go a lot to Augusto Figueroa trying not to use the credit card and return home with three pairs of shoes, but it is almost impossible ...

A bit down the street you can find La Bardemcilla, the bar-cum-restaurant of the Bardem family. I have only been there a couple of times, and I cannot say that I am "in love" with it. I think it can be quite crowded sometimes and rely a lot on the appeal of someone famous appearing.

Hortaleza, Almirante and Barbara de Braganza are other good streets to check trends and find interesting shops, even if you are not buying anything at all. My mum prefers this area to posh Serrano, and I fully understand her. It is funnier.

Rgds, Cova