Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Madrid airport- changing flights.help (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/madrid-airport-changing-flights-help-984421/)

pilencety_spi Jul 8th, 2013 08:25 AM

Madrid airport- changing flights.help

Hi, everybody :)

In 2 weeks i am traveling from Bulgaria (Sofia) to Lima (Peru) and i booked flight from Sofia to Madrid (arriving on Terminal 4s) of Bulgarian airlines and separately a flight of Iberia from Madrid to Lima (denaturing on Terminal 4s) . So basically after landing i need to collect my luggage, pass the passport control, find my way to the checking desk of Iberia, check in my luggage again, pass the passport control for second time and then go to the gate. I have 3 hours between the flights.

Please tell me if the time is enough, or is better travel only with hand luggage.

And is there any checking In desk of Iberia on Terminal 4s? or i should go to the Terminal 4 ?

Any information would be really helpful :)

Viajero2 Jul 8th, 2013 08:38 AM

I was on T4 a month ago-- after clearing security at T4 take a left and there is an underground line that links Terminal 4 and Terminal 4S, a 3 minute train ride. Very straightforward; 3 hours should be plenty.

pilencety_spi Jul 8th, 2013 08:48 AM

Viajero2, thank you very much :))

Robert2533 Jul 8th, 2013 10:02 AM

You will have to leave the international terminal (4S) in order to go through passport control, collect your luggage and check in for your flight to Lima in T4, and then proceed back to terminal 4S to catch your flight. International flights normally require checking in a minimum of 2 hours before departure, 2-1/2 to 3 hours, depending on the number of flights departing that day. Remember that after you land, it can take up to 20 minutes just to reach the gate, and another 20 minutes or longer to clear passport control. If you're not one of the first dozen or so off the plane, then add a little more time. 3 hours can be a tight connection.

We went through the check in process at T4 a couple of weeks ago. It took nearly 40 minutes just waiting in line to check in because we could not use the automatic check in kiosks in T4.

chapla Jul 8th, 2013 10:05 AM

Just try to hurry-very long walk to all gates in T4!
Security check can also be long!

pilencety_spi Jul 8th, 2013 10:49 AM

Robert2533, thank you very much for the information. I am planning to check in online for the flight to Lima, would this save me some time? and i am in landing at 9:45 on the Madrid airport, is the terminal going to be busy in this time :?

pilencety_spi Jul 9th, 2013 12:11 AM

Hi, everybody i just saw that the both airlines belong to IATA, and theoretically i can check my luggage direct to Lima, but when i gave the company a call they could not provide me with any information and said i should ask on the check in desk 2 hours before departure :( that basically don't helps a lot because i need to prepare my luggage before the flights :( Do anybody have experience with this and give me some advice how to proceed in this matter :)

pilencety_spi Jul 9th, 2013 12:50 AM

Some new information just HIT me :( "For security reasons, passengers are asked to present for check-in 3 hours before their flight is scheduled to depart for Lima" Is this really true :(