Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Madrid (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/madrid-903266/)

tarzan Aug 19th, 2011 06:39 AM

Madrid

We will be on our way to Madrid after Rome and Palermo and would realy appreciate advice on where to stay in Madrid centro or at least close to a metro station. We will be there 6 days beginning September 27. It will be our first time in Madrid we would like to see as much of it's history and gardens as possible. My wife and I are active seniors and like to walk. We would als appreciate information as to the best way of getting to and from the airport.

Viajero2 Aug 19th, 2011 06:56 AM

What is your hotel budget?

The center of Madrid Historico is Puerta del Sol. Within Puerta del Sol I recommend Hotel Europa. That said, I am not sure what is the current situation with the recent protesters camping on Puerta del Sol. If they are still there, stay away from the area. I would then go next to Plaza Mayor, Calle del Prado (Hotel Mora is a Gem!).

As far as the airport; typical venues are taxi, train, bus. BEWARE if taking a taxi; if should not be more than 25 Euros. I recently traveled with friends to Madrid. We took two (2) separate taxis. I speak Spanish and was charged 25 Euros. My friends do not speak Spanish and when I went over to checked on them, their driver was charging them 100 Euros for the ride!! If taking a taxi from the airport make sure somebody stays with your luggage upon arrival to destination and/or the driver is off the taxi unloading. A friend of my Brother got off the taxi upon arrival to the hotel and the driver took off with his luggage! He didn't realized he got in an ummarked taxi ride from the airport and paid dearly for that.

If you like history and gardens, yiou are in for a treat as Madrid has a gorgeous Botanical Garden, beautiful parks, and impressive museums. One museum often overlooked is the Museum of the Americas. Very interesting.

tarzan Aug 19th, 2011 07:10 AM

Our budget is between 80 and 120 Euros. I noticed the hotels charge a lot for breakfast. There must be places for breakfast that are more reasonable. Are there?

ribeirasacra Aug 19th, 2011 07:12 AM

Choose a budget. Choose your dates and then read through the reviews on www.booking.com

ribeirasacra Aug 19th, 2011 07:12 AM

Eat breakfast at a local bar.

danon Aug 19th, 2011 08:02 AM

It may not be what you wish , but you can rent a lovely apt. At the center of the city for a bit over a hundred.
we rented twice from Spain Select.
Great way to save money on meals < if one wishes) and much more space than small hotel rooms.

Viajero2 Aug 20th, 2011 03:03 AM

I agree w/Danon. An apt is a great alternative for stays > 3days. Check holiday-rentals.com or vrbo.com for options.

pantsabunch Aug 20th, 2011 03:19 AM

Have a look at www.madridman.com You will be able to breakfast for a few euros in one of the many Madrid cafes.

Nikki Aug 20th, 2011 04:37 AM

There are hotel reviews and lots of other great information about Madrid in Maribel's guide at www.maribelsguides.com

tarzan Aug 20th, 2011 03:25 PM

Thank you Pantsabunch and Nkki. You have provided access to more information than I could have ever found on my own.