Madison hotel--such mixed reviews??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have booked a room for 6 nights at the Madison Hotel however I am becoming a bit concerned. Tripadvisor"s reviews are either great or very low. Does anyone have any recent experience with this hotel? This is our first trip to Paris and like everyone else we are trying to make it as perfect as possible(I know, impossible).

Thanks for your input.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 11:22 AM

We stayed at the Madison 2 years ago and loved it! Our room was on an upper floor almost directly over the entry to the hotel. We had a large, beautiful room with a big window overlooking the church and Blvd. St. Germain. The hotel is in a great location. Breakfast was very good and everyone at the front desk was polite and helpful. I don't know what the negatives are for this hotel since we didn't find any, but I have heard that some rooms on the inside (not facing the front)are small and dark.

Have a great trip to Paris!
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 11:44 AM

The poor reviews were, I think, from the period when the hotel's rooms were being renovated.

We stayed at the Madison, our favorite in Paris, in September 2004 and thought it wonderful. Some recent posters here have agreed. But of course it all depends on what YOU might think is wonderful--so what are your criteria?
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 11:47 AM
ira

Hi ww,

Have you looked up <Madison AND hotel> in the "search this forum" box.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 11:50 AM

Just read the two bad reviews--my feeling is that when something is left behind in a room it's nice when you get it back, but not necessarily something to expect.

The heating problem is different, and I'm surprised that the management didn't made an adjustment in the charges for the room.

Still, I think the Madison is an excellent hotel and would go back in a heartbeat. Most of the reviews on TA are positive--no on-going series of unhappy guests.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 12:19 PM

I agree completely with Marianna and Underhill.
Our last visit to the Madison was wonderful. We enjoyed the witty and avuncular Alaine at the front desk, the bountiful buffet breakfast, (including ham and eggs) served in the pretty downstairs mural- lined breakfast room/lounge, the location is absolutely unbeatable, and our large and quiet room #36 facing the Place St. Germain had a huge amount of storage space, high quality furnishings (some antiques) and a beautifully tiled bathroom with ceramic pedestal filled with fine toiletries. It was all very memorable.
If a deluxe boulevard facing room is within your budget, definitely go for it!
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 01:09 PM

I'm also interested in the Madison for our trip in April. Any advice about the room types to request? I notice they have courtyard choices, boulevard choices, deluxe, twin, double...I welcome any thoughts here. Thanks!
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 01:18 PM

If I am not mistaken, courtyard faces the back - no view. We asked for a room with two twin beds because we were told that rooms were often larger with two twins vs. a double. We got a deluxe with two twin beds and our room faced the Blvd.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 01:20 PM

Twin rooms are the largest of the regular (i.e., non-suite) rooms--go go for one of those facing the Blvd. St-Germain. We've found the superior twins to be excellent: spacious, plenty of storage, elegant bathrooms. Try for a room on one of the front corners--some have a daybed in addition to the twins (which are usually pushed together unless you specify you'd like them separated).
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 03:16 PM

I am one of those Tripadvisor reviewers who was very disappointed with the Madison Hotel in 2004. I still remain puzzled by the strong loyalty this hotel has won from Fodorites as it seems undeserved.

I would monitor the most recent Tripadvisor reviews and have a back-up plan if the trend goes downward.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 03:44 PM

When in 2004 did you stay at the Madison--before or after the renovation?
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 04:55 PM

Underhill,
We were at the Madison during the renovation period and had carpenters, electricians and wallpaper hangers outside our door throughout the visit. As inconvenient as the renovation was, it was only part of the reason we would not return to the Madison. We thought the staff was unfriendly, and the rooms were small and drab. In all fairness, the location is excellent and we enjoyed the lovely breakfasts. However,on balance, we just didn't feel that the experience was worth 500 euros per night for the rooms we occupied.

I realize that my opinion is in the minority on this board, but the Madison is the only hotel that I have ever given a negative review and have otherwise been very happy with other hotels (Albergo del Senato and Hotel Tramonto d'Oro in particular) recommended by the good folks on Fodors.com.