14 days in Italy with a Classics Major!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2012, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the process of planning a 14 day sons and mothers trip to Italy with my son, his friend and his mother. My son is a classics major and is doing this as a summer study, of sorts.We are tagging along on his pilgrimage which includes many of the major sites of Italy but a few odd ones. Landing in Milan. Should we stay the night in Milan or go directly to Garda for two nights, skipping night in Milan. Desire to visit Catullus' villa in Sirmione, night in Venice, then Florence for three nights with a stop in Ravenna, then onto Naples for museums et al and Pompeii, Paestum and Herculaeum. We (moms) would like to savor the Amalfi coastline a bit. We have 4 days in this area. Then onto Rome for three full days, fly out of Rome.
I have been obsessively poring Fodors, Reid's, Frommers, for best hotels. Moderate budget. Even willing to try a monastary stay in one major city so we could splurge on the southern coast.
Please help. Do I need an agent to schedule transfers? I am most worried about that. Please offer any sage advice for these first time Italy travellers!
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 05:27 AM

www.venere.com
www.trenitalia.com
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 06:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd stop in Milan for a night to get over jet lag, walk down to the Duomo and visit the old shops around the main square. In particular I would not fly the atlantic and then drive a car, but if you are using a train then maybe go onto Lake Garda. Not sure why Garda is in the visit list?

Do you have some rough dates for this trip? You might prefer to rent an appartment for Rome, certainly 4 nights would be very cost affective
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Aug 10 thru aug 24. Lake Garda for Catullus' Villa. A near. holy site for a Latin major!
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 06:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
there was a convent in Sorrento highly recommended on this board somewhere.

I'll try to find it.

BTW, I don't see the sense of only going to venice for a night. it's not exactly on your route, and you will lose lot of time getting there and getting back. ditto Ravenna.
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 06:27 AM

I assume if your son is a classics major that he is of at least college age. If so, then the Mom's can stay put on the Amalfi coast for a few days and then meeting the sons at date and place that is convenient to all.

We have used Booking.com in about seven countries and we only had one place we did not like. You really do not need an agent, you need to be decisiove.

One more thing, when moving there is much time wasted packing, unpacking, checking in and out, getting to and from the train station ot airport, plus any waiting time.
Your son should pick what is most imprtant to him and then see how much time is needed for travel and visiting those sights.

No one will enjoy the trip if he only spends a 1/2 hour at each spot.
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 06:58 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The first part of your trip really isn't practical. I don't think your son has looked at the logistics getting from point A to B only to spend one night or a few hours. Ravenna is 3 1/2 hours by train from Venice. It's just not practical to plan to stop there on the way to Florence (another 3 hours on the train). Your son needs to narrow down the list and decide whether he wants to see things or trains and train stations.
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 07:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Now don't laugh at me but have they thought of going to Split and Diocletian's palace, the old ferry is long gone but they could take the over night train while mothers luxuriate in Venice and come back the next night.
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 07:59 AM
ira

Hi p,

>night in Venice,

One night in Venice?

I suggest a minimum of 2. If the scholar has to go elsewhere for the day, he can do the trip on his own - no?

> Do I need an agent to schedule transfers?

No. Train schedules and tickets are at www.trenitalia.com

You do realize that you are packing so much into this expedition that it isn't going to be much fun?

Old Jul 14th, 2012, 10:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Could you fly into Venice? Milan doesn't make much sense. Nor does the detour to Ravenna considering your time constraints.

You should study the train timetables before you buy the air tickets.

http://www.fsitaliane.it/homepage_en.html
[This is the same as the trenitalia.com website mentioned above, but already switched to English]