Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Made the impossimple: Versailles, Orsay, Louvre in the same day!

Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:36 AM
Original Poster

I returned from Paris 20 days ago. In a previous posted message, I had received several helping suggestions how to fix my schedule, so as to to take the best of Paris in five days. Thank you all. I managed to visit the best places (Champs Elysees, Marais, Snt Germain, Latin Qtr, Louxemburg, Monmarte, Bastille, Boulogne etc) and the most interesting museums and sightseeings (Versailles, Louvre, Orsay, Picasso, Pantheon, Army museum, Arc de Triomphe, Tour Aiffel, Notre Dame). I had planned so much to see in so little time.
One fodorist suggested to visit on Wednesday, both Versailles and Lourve (its closing 10 p.m. on Wednesdays), so I did it!!! Very exhausting, but so entertaining. I entered Versailles palace at 09:30. (I bypassed all the lines with the museum pass at hand at zero time). I finished touring palace and gandens and then left Versailles at 13:30. An hour later I found myself inside Orsay. It was much better than I thought, I liked it even more than the Louvre (my wife who is herself an amateur painter and big admirer of Renoir, was very enthusiastic). After Orsay we deparded by foot through the Tulleries gardens for the Louvre. At about 17:00 we entered inside (again the museum pass made miracles bypassing the lines), and spent over 3 1/2 hours, visiting some pre-selected areas we wanted to see (the most interesting for us).
After that, very very tired we headed desperatelly to somewhere to eat (specifically an italian pizzeria behind hotel de Ville) and then... to sleep.
Everyone was saying no to do it, that it would be impossiple to manage all these in one day. But I did it, as didn't have many options through my tight schedule. I got really exhausted, but I also enjoyed it (not no mention that my wife started complaining after some time).
Well, I visited Paris for 5 days. I managed to see most of what Paris offers, and also found some time for coffee, stores, restaurants and relax (we spent some wonderfull time drinking hot wine outside, at a cafe in Place du Tetre, Monmantre and watching lively painters taking us some ages back) . To be honest I could easily spend 10 more days, there are so much to do. Next time (I'll come back for sure), I'll spend all the time just enjoying Paris' magic!!!
Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:50 AM
Original Poster

Again thank you all, especially apersuader65, for his suggestions.
Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:52 AM

Was there a competition or somewhat???

Hope you enjoyed it.
Jan 23rd, 2008, 02:37 AM

Foolish "accomplishment" I ever heard. I would be embarrased to admit to that.
Jan 23rd, 2008, 02:42 AM

great going.. you certainly accomplished what you wanted to, and it seems like a lovely "amuse-bouche" for your next trip.

i wouldn´t have the energy or deisre to do it this way, but it seems this was your wish and goal. congratulations!
Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:17 AM

A chacun a son gout!

Hey, I did the same kind of thing on my one and only day in Rome, and I still remember everything I saw extremely well, better than some places where all the days run together! I still remember what I ate and the nuns going ballistic when gypsies got on the bus.

Though I can in no sense say I have "done" Rome, it was better than not going at all!
Jan 23rd, 2008, 05:02 AM

You can't really complete either the d'Orsay or the Louvre at one go, so why not do sample tours? He enjoyed it all and that's what matters.
Jan 23rd, 2008, 06:50 AM

Amazing. I've been to Paris six times, but I think you've seen more of it! Where do you people get your energy?
Jan 23rd, 2008, 07:43 AM

Reminds me of Chevy Chase in the movie Vacation when they were at the Grand Canyon. Alright kids take a look, this is the Grand Canyon! One thousand one, one thousand two. . . great let's go!
Different strokes . . . Just don't tie grandma to the roof of the car and forget about her!
dave
Jan 23rd, 2008, 07:46 AM

Seeing it all in one day is better than not seeing it at all. My congrats on your stamina.
Jan 23rd, 2008, 10:01 AM

If that's what you like more power to you. But I would have given up about 4 pm. Both from sightseeing overload - and thirst/hunger and tired feet.

And if the rest of me is too exhausted my brain stops working too. I live my real life at that rate - don;t want to do it on vacation too.
Jan 24th, 2008, 12:29 AM
Original Poster

First of all I thank Viajero2 for his "polite" response. Second, I knew from the beginning the high difficulty rate of doing it. That's why I entitled my 1st message "Made the impossimple". Third, I had limited time and also I don't know if and when I go to Paris again (you see I not that rich going there every month). Some fodorists like Ackislander as I saw, can understand that. It would be more foolish to spend all my time shopping, or drinking coffees (I suppose every place on earth had shops and cafes) and not visit Orsay or Louvre, which are unique on earth! Suppose you go to Athens for a couple of days, and say "I didn't have time for the Acropolis", because I spent my time doing other things!
So it's better visiting some places in a hurry, than miss them at all... And finally, If we don't do such "foolishments" when we are young and strong (even with very tired feet at the end of the day), then better stay at home!
Jan 24th, 2008, 12:50 AM

Dear vayio

i am waiting for your itenirary for a trip to Munich, Mayorka,London and especially for the London trip. I am sure you will see more in 2 days there than I saw in 3 years!!!
Makia
Marina
Jan 24th, 2008, 03:43 AM

congrats on your accomplishment !!

I go to Orsay every 2 years and spend a few hours only.

I went to the Louvres once and did not return on my last 2 trips to Paris. I'm not even sure if I'll ever go back;
I prefer Pompidou for modern art exhibits.

I guess we are all different in what we prefer; but I've never heard of anyone doing the marathon you did in one day. Your physical stamina is astonishing !

Jan 24th, 2008, 12:21 PM

WOW...sounds like a wonderful accomplisment. I agree, if you are determined, you will succeed! We will be in Paris for three days and I would love to "cram" all I can into that time of course more of what I'm interested in. I'm curious...what is this museum pass you speak of?

TIA!
Jan 24th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Original Poster

It's a museum pass that allows you free entry for over 60 museums or places throughout Paris. Its contains all the most important sightseeings. You can buy it for 2,4, or 6 days. It's a great value for money and also helps bypassing the enormous sometimes waiting ticket lines. Refer to: http://www.parismuseumpass.com/.
Jan 24th, 2008, 11:33 PM

I approve of completely cramming a day when it is the only way to do it. I even took a day trip in Australia once with pickup at 6am and a return at 8pm, with four hours on the road in each direction.
Jan 25th, 2008, 11:50 AM

>>I approve of completely cramming a day when it is the only way to do it<<

As far as I know, Paris isn't going anywhere, so that was, by far, not the only way to do it.....

Please people fill me in: can you still visit Paris or is it gone?
Jan 25th, 2008, 11:54 AM

I could physically do a day like this, with no problem. The problem would be whether I could mentally absorb what I saw. I think if you do something like this, it's probably best to focus on just a small portion of each attraction. At least in my case, I'd be overwhelmed otherwise.
Jan 25th, 2008, 12:03 PM

I'm sure Paris will be there long after all of us have left this earth but whether we will get the chance to go back - who can say?

I am reminded of our last trip to Paris 2 years ago (our first trip together). We had only 3 days and I was determined to "see it all". Our relationship did survive but after the 1st day of being such a slave master I finally realized, "Hey, we're in Paris and Paris is for lovers, not taskmasters!!!" and relaxed. Maybe we didn't see everything but we saw a lot and had an amazing time. Now we are going back next October and we will see more. We have more time to spend overall and reading Vayio's post has made me determined to work Versailles in somehow. The Louvre, well, I don't think I need to ever do it again but I won't miss D'Orsay or L'Orangerie and need to make time for new (to us) places as well.

Everyone enjoys different things and that is what is so great aboutt his forum - there is so much to learn from everyone!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO